ADVERTISEMENT

Taurean Thompson

WOW! If immediately eligible can you imagine this group:

Starters: Carrington, Powell, Desi, Thompson, Angel
with Ish, Cale, Walker, Nzie, Sandro, Gordon off the bench...

That is a DEEP group!

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Sophomore basketball forward Taurean Thompson is not on campus for the start of Syracuse University classes today and is unlikely to return to the Orange.

"We have been informed that Taurean is taking a leave of absence from Syracuse University," SU coach Jim Boeheim said in a statement. "My understanding is he wants to go to school closer to home due to some family health issues."

The statement is something of a conclusion to Thompson's puzzling summer, where rumors circulated about whether his career was finished at SU.

Players trickled back to Syracuse over the weekend to prepare for Monday classes and the start of the 2017-18 school year. Few knew whether Thompson, a 6-foot-9 forward and promising offensive talent, would show up.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2017/08/taurean_thompson_syracuse_basketball.html

WOW! If immediately eligible can you imagine this group:

Starters: Carrington, Powell, Desi, Thompson, Angel
with Ish, Cale, Walker, Nzie, Sandro, Gordon off the bench...

That is a DEEP group!

Well, first he has to commit, then you sweat out the eligibility question.The first is a good possibility. I don't know about the other.

Reactions: Haas01562
Taurean is really talented. I would love to have him, preferably now but am willing to wait.

Is there anything nuttier than the ebbs and flows of player movement in D1 men's hoops these days? The transfer route is incredible; need to stay active on it or you are doing your program a disservice.

He's a really good player and would fit a huge area of need for this team. Could this be construed as a hardship? Reports indicate an ill family member. Who knows with the NCAA.

Reactions: Seton00
Wow, just wow if he commits here.

Big time. Even if he has to RS, that's Thompson and Gill working this season against Delgado in practice and then both man the 5-spot next year. Plus Nzei.

Then you could have Sandro and, hopefully, a combination of something like Manuel/Forrester at the 4-spot.

Getting there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I don't see TT being eligible affecting chemistry at all. He knows practically all our players and was here with them a lot last year. The depth and relief to Angel he could provide would be invaluable. But as said above, having his those 3 years of eligibility is tempting also as we don't have enough frontcourt help for the future as well ...guess we'll see.

I don't see TT being eligible affecting chemistry at all. He knows practically all our players and was here with them a lot last year. The depth and relief to Angel he could provide would be invaluable. But as said above, having his those 3 years of eligibility is tempting also as we don't have enough frontcourt help for the future as well ...guess we'll see.

I would assume the same dating back to TT's original recruitment last summer.

Bingo. We are built to win this year. You can never go wrong with more capable back-ups. God forbid something happens with Delgado or he gets into foul trouble.

How many times are we going to see visions of TT playing in a SH uniform only to be disappointed again . Logically , I just don't see him sitting out a year which is why I don't believe he'll leave Cuse and transfer.

Can he play the 4? I really didn't see a ton of him last year, but TT and Tyler Lydon were on the court alot together last year. Who guarded the other team's 5, I haven't a clue.

How many times are we going to see visions of TT playing in a SH uniform only to be disappointed again . Logically , I just don't see him sitting out a year which is why I don't believe he'll leave Cuse and transfer.
He already withdrew from syracuse

Surprise, surprise. LOL

Regarding eligibility. That's a possibility.

Wait...it IS possible that he could be eligible this season? that would be a WOW....times....2...no wait....4!
And re Boeheim, time to enlist a former coach of ours, and golfing buddy of Jimmy B to not make this difficult for us,...

I don't believe the whole no scholarship and no sit out is accurate. If you transfer D1 to D1, you sit out unless you get a waiver, and I thought they stopped doing family medical hardship waivers.

Honestly no idea what the rules are
I would think if he was not on scholarship, he can transfer and play without having to sit out as there are no rules against students transferring from one school to another, only scholarship athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT