ADVERTISEMENT

Taurean Thompson

I would think if he was not on scholarship, he can transfer and play without having to sit out as there are no rules against students transferring from one school to another, only scholarship athletes.

As said above, I don't think that's accurate. You still sit out in sports even when there are no scholarships if you are at the same level (D1).

The NCAA doesn't grant hardship waivers anymore, right? Is a waiver not needed if he wasn't on scholarship? So it comes down to if the "no scholarship" rumor is true or not.

Sorry to add more fuel to the fire but is the question whether he was ever on scholarship (2016-2017) or whether he gave up his scholarship for 2017-2018? Theoretically, anyone who leaves a school (intending or not intending to go to another school) is "off scholarship." Sit or not, would love for it to be true.

A couple comments and questions....

1) I think he has a better chance at getting a hardship waiver considering he was the starting center and arguably the 2nd best returning player on Syracuse. He obviously isn't transferring because of playing time.

2) this kid's recruitment has been one wild ride and I hope he (his mom) isn't a distraction where ever he lands.

3) taurean Thompson is a great talent. And some fans have been critical of the staffs recruiting abilities. Do you give the staff the same "credit" for landing a 4-star transfer like Thompson as you would if they landed a 4-star high school recruit?

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
Wow. Looks like he could play this year, if he never got a scholarship from Syracuse.

"you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship."

He was recruited...

Reactions: shupat08
Even if he wasn't on scholarship, I don't see how we can claim he wasn't recruited by Syracuse.

and received a scholarship last year
Did we set Brodie aside for one year because we knew that TT was coming?

Does this me we are 2018
TT - 6-9
Nzie 6-8
Sandro 6-10
Brodie 6-10
JC Red shirt 7-0
Forrester 6-9 (wild hope on my part )
Manuel 6-9
Cale 6-4
Powell 6-3
One more 6 - 10 georgian next year (will happen)
Lighting at the point guard
Assortment of players like McKnight

I am signing up for that right now !

Even if he wasn't on scholarship, I don't see how we can claim he wasn't recruited by Syracuse.
Don't know. I read that as if a scholarship would mean he was recruited. But I could be wrong.

It sounds like TT may have a good case/argument, especially if he has a sick family member.

Will be tough to get a release from Syracuse though. JB doesn't play nice like that.

Don't know. I read that as if a scholarship would mean he was recruited. But I could be wrong.

It sounds like TT may have a good case/argument, especially if he has a sick family member.

Will be tough to get a release from Syracuse though. JB doesn't play nice like that.

This is from 2012 so I can't be sure of it's current accuracy, but here's what I found for the NCAA's definition of a recruited athlete:

A prospect is considered a recruited athlete if the college takes one of the following actions:
  • If they provide the prospect with an official visit.
  • If they have an off-campus contact with the prospect or the prospect’s parents or legal guardians.
  • If they offer the prospect a National Letter of Intent or an athletic scholarship agreement.
  • If they initiate a telephone conversation with the prospect or his parents or legal guardians more than one time.
If accurate, it seems like getting TT immediately eligible would be difficult.

If all else regarding the transfer is true, maybe it comes down to if he took an "official" visit to Syracuse during the recruiting process.

Does this me we are 2018
TT - 6-9
Nzie 6-8
Sandro 6-10
Brodie 6-10
JC Red shirt 7-0
Manuel 6-9
Cale 6-4
Powell 6-3

Add 6'9" Louis King to that mix.....and....WOW is a major understatement

Reactions: Section112
If all else regarding the transfer is true, maybe it comes down to if he took an "official" visit to Syracuse during the recruiting process.
He took official visits to Cuse, Michigan State and Connecticut and possibly Seton Hall too per a number of articles out there. Proving he was not a recruited athlete is not in the cards IMO.

I'm no expert on any of this but here is an article saying he signed a "financial aid offer". Is that typical? Makes no mention of a scholarship. Why would you need financial aid if you are getting a scholarship? Maybe some of the experts can opine? - http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._signs_financial_aid_offer_with_syracuse.html

I always thought the financial aid package includes the scholarship and any other aid. My understanding is, if you qualify for financial aid (grants, other financial aids...) that is taken first, then the scholarship covers the remainder of your costs. Since many kids come from low income families, they qualify for things like Pell Grants.

Reactions: Section112
Any word on twitter where Taurean is looking to attend college. (This is a serious question and not a joke as many of you already have him playing on our team next year and being best friends with Delgado)

Probably explains why he came off the bench so much despite playing well on the court.

He didn't play well.....he scored well. He can shoot. Nice touch around the rim, uses the backboard well, can use both hands, nice offensive footwork, not explosive but smooth, can post up but really likes to face. Lack of physical strength held him back a bit in terms of low post play.

The rest of his game was nonexistent. Below average rebounder for his position, abysmal shot selection and defense.

Worth taking a shot at. Maybe it works out.
This is incredibly good news. Great job by the staff. Syracuse's ship is sinking too. Lol!

We may struggle this year, but we'll likely be back in a big way in 2019.

Last edited:
He took official visits to Cuse, Michigan State and Connecticut and possibly Seton Hall too per a number of articles out there. Proving he was not a recruited athlete is not in the cards IMO.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading the Cuse board go nuts over there..lol

but this line caught me saying...."EXCUSE ME!"

"We'll see. NCAA taking these types of situations more seriously in recent years. I believe there needs to be lengthy medical documentation of the severity (i.e., life threatening), onset (diagnosis post-matriculation) and student responsibility for care."

So, now Cuse wants the NCAA to show they have teeth? After they got off with their HOF coach for countless violations....hmm....I guess perspective is everything

What next? North Carolina calling for a "stronger NCAA oversight role"!

Of course. Why couldn't that happen?

There's a reason he's prepping this year and he needs to do his thing.
We can use a strong rebounder next year. If he hones his skills and his footwork and can really rebound and play D, I think that is his best route to minutes next year. Looking forward to his development and us developing that pipeline with Monteverde by doing right by the players that come to the Hall.

Reactions: buzzershot
TT is a good player, would fit in very nicely in 2018. Of course would only help in 2017 as well!!!

Dont expect JB to take this easy. I am sure he will try and block us early on.
Can you block someone from attending a certain school? I know you can block someone from playing immediately. But if the young man chooses to sit out the required time, I thought there was nothing the original school can do.

Can you block someone from attending a certain school? I know you can block someone from playing immediately. But if the young man chooses to sit out the required time, I thought there was nothing the original school can do.

Wasn't there a whole case dispute last season of one of the I think Carolina? Schools blocking a player from going where he wanted to go, they lost but they tried....

Yes, it is very common. Shitty practice, but more common than not I get.

A couple comments and questions....

1) I think he has a better chance at getting a hardship waiver considering he was the starting center and arguably the 2nd best returning player on Syracuse. He obviously isn't transferring because of playing time.

2) this kid's recruitment has been one wild ride and I hope he (his mom) isn't a distraction where ever he lands.

3) taurean Thompson is a great talent. And some fans have been critical of the staffs recruiting abilities. Do you give the staff the same "credit" for landing a 4-star transfer like Thompson as you would if they landed a 4-star high school recruit?
No they get less credit since they missed out on a year by losing the highschool recruiting battle

This is incredibly good news. Great job by the staff. Syracuse's ship is sinking too. Lol!

Its sinking really? Its still way above where Seton Hall's ship is, when was the last time you won a tournament game? You can have him, I am a better defender than he is, and im 5'8.

Wow. Looks like he could play this year, if he never got a scholarship from Syracuse.

"you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship."

Looks like he would need a release from Syracuse though.

I do not know the legalese of the NCAA rule book, but this is a funny rule to me. Wouldn't the likelihood be high that a player is initially recruited by a local school because, well, they're local, then a hardship strikes, and they go home, hence putting the local school in play as a top option for someone facing such hardship?

Reactions: Seton00

Does this me we are 2018
TT - 6-9
Nzie 6-8
Sandro 6-10
Brodie 6-10
JC Red shirt 7-0
Manuel 6-9
Cale 6-4
Powell 6-3

What we have in 2018-2019:
Walker - pg
Powell - sg
McKnight - cg
Gordon - cg
Cale - wg
Nzei - pf
Sandro - pf
Thompson - pf/c
Gil - c

That's 9. Leaving 4 ships. If Brodie comes that leaves 3 ships.

I'd assume we go for another PG type (Nelson?), a SF (King?) and another big (Manuel, Forrester, Eastern Euro from Patrick's)...

Hard to gauge a players defensive ability when you play zone all the time. Didn't he play for Hurley at St. Anthony?

Reactions: Seton00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT