ADVERTISEMENT

The Big East Office has spoken

Friends Love GIF by Woodblock

can’t say I’m surprised by this. She’s been carried by the league having some great coaches to carry their teams. Maybe the best move she made was getting UConn back to the league.

Reactions: CL82
As an Ad Agency/PR/Communications professional over close to 45 years leading major agencies, this statement is awful - both in tone and content. Using the term "some worthy" when referring to teams is so wishy/washy. Where is the upset and straight talk? Feels like Val doesn't have the Conference's back. From the AD and head coach perspective, it is flat out laughable. Total lack of leadership that speaks volumes. Val needs far better from her PR counselors. F is the grade.

Last edited:
Honestly - at this point what difference does it make. No matter what she says or does at this point, it does not change anything (we are not in the tournament). And outside of SHU, St John's and Providence, no one will remember 3 months from now. What she needs to do is make sure this does not happen again, and ensure that going forward the Big East gets proper representation on the committee. The committee this year was a total clown show. And FWIW, one of my good friends is tight with someone at FOX who said Val is terrible.

In addition, I think in the beginning of the year, the committee needs to be upfront on exactly what they are looking for in tournament teams because we clearly don't know. Find out what the f*ck the NET is used for as we have had conflicting information on how it is used. What's more important, beating top teams at home, Quad 1 wins, no quad 4 losses or having Non conference road wins? I still can't believe 13-7 in the Big East was not good enough to get into the tournament. It is outrageous.

I am also a marketing executive with over 30 years of major account experience. What was done in that statement was the equivalent of throwing every BE team outside of the three that made it under the bus! We have no marketing to make up for the fact that we don’t have football to rely on. Can’t drive the same NIL numbers across the league. And letting two teams in particular, Virginia and Michigan State, who don’t have the credentials to be a 3 seed in the NIT is not only a gross negligence of the commissioners responsibility, but an invite to allow teams from the football conferences to use their financial muscle to poach our players through the portal because the can guarantee the ability to play in the tournament and get paid big bucks at the same time. It’s bullshit!

I am also a marketing executive with over 30 years of major account experience. What was done in that statement was the equivalent of throwing every BE team outside of the three that made it under the bus! We have no marketing to make up for the fact that we don’t have football to rely on. Can’t drive the same NIL numbers across the league. And letting two teams in particular, Virginia and Michigan State, who don’t have the credentials to be a 3 seed in the NIT is not only a gross negligence of the commissioners responsibility, but an invite to allow teams from the football conferences to use their financial muscle to poach our players through the portal because the can guarantee the ability to play in the tournament and get paid big bucks at the same time. It’s bullshit!
The st johns uconn semi on fox free to air friday was the 2nd most watched college game of the day network or cable

Pitino was similarly toned. Maybe they think it is good for their rep but counterproductive and meaningless
I think Pitino is actually thrilled he didn’t make it. He got the fan base excited, motivated and left them wanting more. He’s going to milk even more money from the NIL donors (outside of Repole) and come out swinging next season with a team and roster that he actually wants. This was best case scenario for SJU

TomD82 -- even Boeheim gets it -- Three Big East Teams cost the Conference and Individual Schools a ton of money. More so, recruiting and signing of Transfers has to be affected. You win 12/13 in conference Games and get shut out? Why have the league ? How do you sell the Big East match-ups ?
I believe the Coaches get it-- I firmly believe the Commissioner is lost .Get a real representative on the selection Committee. Flex now while there is still some time. Force the "Committee " to lay out the rules and use common sense in recognizing the draw of the Big 5 conferences.
The NCAA is doomed to die of its own greed. It killed the College Football Bowls. It will kill March Madness .
With the exception of the Big East , what Conference season end Tournament works ? There should be no bid-stealers --
I also believe this will be the least "watched" Tournament in Years.

Val = DEI hire. You have to always hire the best person for the job. Clearly the Big East did not do that.
This type of BS belongs on Life Off the Ship. Ackerman rightfully deserves criticism for failing to stand up publicly for the Conference. Irrelevant and idiotic cheap shots about DEI have no place on the basketball board.

I’m going to jump on the conspiracy theory…. This could easily be a shot at the Big East and Ackerman as a negotiating tactic.

Does anybody know if CBS is interested in gaining the TV rights? If so, maybe this was a shot to tell her to accept their offer or continue to be punished…

• Haha
Reactions: shu09
I’m going to jump on the conspiracy theory…. This could easily be a shot at the Big East and Ackerman as a negotiating tactic.

Does anybody know if CBS is interested in gaining the TV rights? If so, maybe this was a shot to tell her to accept their offer or continue to be punished…
CBS currently has a set of rights with the league. There was an article behind a paywall at puck last week. Fox and cbs negotiating for extension and league is also looking at a standalone platform for select games. To me that screams amazon netflix apple avenue.

Pathetic. 85% of it lauding the committee and then throwing shade on the schools as if they need help scheduling
Yep, instead of standing up for our programs, talking about the metrics that favor them and pointing out how they were stronger than programs that were chosen over them, the issues what comes off as an apology for our teams not being better.

In all honesty, silence was better.

Sorry to those who have defended Val, but this no show wipes out all her goodwill from her previous good work. Let’s be honest, the most important sport in the BE is Men’s Basketball and the greatest success you can have starts with making the dance. To see deserving schools disrespected should have the Commish up and calling this out. Instead you can’t help but thinking she only spoke when the uproar and her silence became untenable. Just an awful showing by Val. What was she thinking? Perhaps about her next gig. A bigger stage? She yearns to get a P5 job and doesn’t want to ruffle the feathers of those decision makers? Only thing that makes sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT