ADVERTISEMENT

The Big East Office has spoken

As an Ad Agency/PR/Communications professional over close to 45 years leading major agencies, this statement is awful - both in tone and content. Using the term "some worthy" when referring to teams is so wishy/washy. Where is the upset and straight talk? Feels like Val doesn't have the Conference's back. From the AD and head coach perspective, it is flat out laughable. Total lack of leadership that speaks volumes. Val needs far better from her PR counselors. F is the grade.
This! First rule of public relations is, if you’re going to issue a statement there needs to be an objective. What is the message you want people to walk away with or call to action. I have no idea what she was trying to convey with this.

This! First rule of public relations is, if you’re going to issue a statement there needs to be an objective. What is the message you want people to walk away with or call to action. I have no idea what she was trying to convey with this.
So right. Just a response for the sake of a response. There is no strategic foundation that I can discern. A word salad.

can’t say I’m surprised by this. She’s been carried by the league having some great coaches to carry their teams. Maybe the best move she made was getting UConn back to the league.
In fairness, anyone in his right mind would have added UConn.

I have excellent contacts who absolutely sing the praises of Ackerman. Calling her one of the best behind the scenes commissioners in America. She has big time experience and is very well respected by her peers.

In short up to this point I could not think of a complaint in the world re her work.

That's why the way she is handling this situation has me scratching my head. She is an incredibly brilliant mind and I was thinking maybe she was waiting a day or so to construct what she believed was the perfect response.

Well this wasn't that and truthfully the Big East office should be embarrassed with this release.

I have excellent contacts who absolutely sing the praises of Ackerman. Calling her one of the best behind the scenes commissioners in America. She has big time experience and is very well respected by her peers.

In short up to this point I could not think of a complaint in the world re her work.

That's why the way she is handling this situation has me scratching my head. She is an incredibly brilliant mind and I was thinking maybe she was waiting a day or so to construct what she believed was the perfect response.

Well this wasn't that and truthfully the Big East office should be embarrassed with this release.
Dan, only explanation is she is working on her next gig and her brillant mind has concluded she should tread softly. In other words it’s all about her not the conference.

I think she is looking for her next job and doesn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Reactions: SOpirate

Unfortunately the moment has passed, yesterday was the time to be all over the press advocating for your teams. Given the response, this will happened again to the big east.

Would not be surprised if there is an announcement in the coming months on her moving on.

Shocked not one person has griped on creighton weekend location...closer to akron than the better "protected" seed

St Paddy's Day. ☘️ Maybe she was 🍺🍺🍺

• Haha
Reactions: silkcitypirate
I’m going to jump on the conspiracy theory…. This could easily be a shot at the Big East and Ackerman as a negotiating tactic.

Does anybody know if CBS is interested in gaining the TV rights? If so, maybe this was a shot to tell her to accept their offer or continue to be punished…

This board has absolutely cracked me up since Sunday. Thanks for the laugh.

56f8e42275b729e240206bb0680fa49411010dde.gif

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1
This type of BS belongs on Life Off the Ship. Ackerman rightfully deserves criticism for failing to stand up publicly for the Conference. Irrelevant and idiotic cheap shots about DEI have no place on the basketball board.
It's a basketball issue in this case. Sorry I offended you but just pointing out the obvious.

Reactions: Gohall129
This post and anyone liking it is ignorant.
You are entitled to your opinion but calling names is what's ignorant. I have seen these types of hires/promotions for many years now. Everyone knows they are wrong but are too afraid to state the obvious. Anyway, enjoy your day.

You are entitled to your opinion but calling names is what's ignorant. I have seen these types of hires/promotions for many years now. Everyone knows they are wrong but are too afraid to state the obvious. Anyway, enjoy your day.
You are not on earth. She was hired in June of 2013. She was a staff attorney at nba, become a close person to stern, initial wnba lead exec, was an exec for usa basketball. So now she is a dei hire? The league presidents minus uconn all voted for her.

The Big East recently had centered on candidates outside of college athletics in Ackerman, Major League Baseball's Tim Brosnan and Boston Celtics president Rich Gotham, a Providence College grad.

You are not on earth. She was hired in June of 2013. She was a staff attorney at nba, become a close person to stern, initial wnba lead exec, was an exec for usa basketball. So now she is a dei hire? The league presidents minus uconn all voted for her.
You're absolutely right, of course, but this kind of gigantic, stinky, dripping-bag-of-garbage take was inevitable, because, well, she's a woman and therefore can't possibly be competent.

It not only flushes eleven years of fine leadership down the toilet, but it also assumes that one statement issued on Twitter is all she has done to voice the conference's opinion of the selection committee's choice. Her job is not throwing red meat to a pack of angry jackals. Business is not done on message boards.

One thing is very clear and that is that Val’s reputation has taken a very public hit led by Rick Pitino. She has some work to do in mending fences and not have any more missteps especially with the media packages currently under negotiation.

Reactions: Pirate 81
Of course ! That's insulting 09
She's weak in this stuation .
Pitino and Danny made better statements then her. That's all.
Committee did not show respect to our conference.
She runs the show.
How do you know? How do you know what she has done since Sunday night? I can't claim any insider information in this case, but I do know that what is communicated in private is often vastly different than what is contained in a public statement. And given that she's been a very good commissioner for what, eleven years now, that it's unlikely she took leave of her senses in this case.

You do realize she is not on the NCAA selection committee and has zero control over the process, right?
You do realize that all anyone wanted was her to stand up and say you left deserving teams out. You should have done better. The statements you made supporting the decisions are inconsistent. Nothing more. She couldn’t come close. I’ll take the condemnation from Jerry and Zach of Val and the bewilderment of Pitino, Vitale and Jim B on our exclusion over your view.

Maybe you’re the singular realist in the universe on this. But I kinda doubt it.

How do you know? How do you know what she has done since Sunday night? I can't claim any insider information in this case, but I do know that what is communicated in private is often vastly different than what is contained in a public statement. And given that she's been a very good commissioner for what, eleven years now, that it's unlikely she took leave of her senses in this case.
What we DO know is when she had the opportunity she didn't support the schools she's supposed to represent. The schools, the players the supporters all terribly let down and feeling slighted. Given the chance to address this the comish spits the bit. It a terrible job, and there's no way to spin it.

Exactly. An attorney with no NCAA experience. President of the unprofitable WNBA. How many more qualified males were overlooked for the job. Are you OK with the pilot of the plane you are flying being less qualified but checking a box?

You're absolutely right, of course, but this kind of gigantic, stinky, dripping-bag-of-garbage take was inevitable, because, well, she's a woman and therefore can't possibly be competent.

It not only flushes eleven years of fine leadership down the toilet, but it also assumes that one statement issued on Twitter is all she has done to voice the conference's opinion of the selection committee's choice. Her job is not throwing red meat to a pack of angry jackals. Business is not done on message boards.
So then you support her statement on the Big East snub. Good for you.

She's paid a considerable amount of money ($1.6mm) each year to do more than the bare minimum required by this situation (I would argue less than the bare minimum here). Also, not having an extra 1-3 teams in the Tournament cost the Big East credits per team which pays the league a significant amount of money per credit. And yes, if that happened to the SEC or Big Ten, their commissioners would be all over the television starting selection Sunday night griping about it. Did you see how the ACC reacted after FSU got snubbed by the CFP Committee? Luckily we have internet to remind everyone this is how a commissioner should respond:

ACC Commish

Of course ! That's insulting 09
She's weak in this stuation .
Pitino and Danny made better statements then her. That's all.
Committee did not show respect to our conference.
She runs the show.
Sad that you have to spell out the obvious.

• Love
What we DO know is when she had the opportunity she didn't support the schools she's supposed to represent. The schools, the players the supporters all terribly let down and feeling slighted. Given the chance to address this the comish spits the bit. It a terrible job, and there's no way to spin it.
Bingo. Let everyone down. The end.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Seems like it. Of course, that would do nothing. Maybe it would make him sleep better? Who knows.

It's called standing up for her league. Isn't that what she's paid to do?

She did absolutely nothing. Big East is a laughingstock right now with her "leadership".

We have the SEC, BIG and ACC commissioners always fighting for their leagues. She easily could of used the obvious metrics that I have shared here to show why the Big East deserved bids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT