ADVERTISEMENT

This says it all

I was befuddled to read a quote from an AD saying the program has been victim to 630p tip offs when the primary TV partner puts games on at 630 so that they can get 3 windows of games in on week nights.
The schools lacks the understanding that they need to do more to incentive students to get to the games on weeknights.

Creighton had $2 beer night for the UConn game… granted the logistics are more difficult in that for us and The Rock, but do something.

I was befuddled to read a quote from an AD saying the program has been victim to 630p tip offs when the primary TV partner puts games on at 630 so that they can get 3 windows of games in on week nights.
Why does that befuddle you? I assume we got the 6:30 slots frequently cause they expected us to stink and they wanted the better games for the 8:30 slot. Who ever gets the 6:30 gets to worse slot, though for SHU fans, seems every day and start time is bad. I assume the AD isnt too involved with the scheduling or attendance of night classes and how would he be expected to know that 80% of the students who attend have Wed night classes...

Odd CU to have a promo for the biggest game of the season on a weekend. I know of bars that had beer nights but not on Super Bowl Sunday.

Why does that befuddle you? I assume we got the 6:30 slots frequently cause they expected us to stink and they wanted the better games for the 8:30 slot. Who ever gets the 6:30 gets to worse slot, though for SHU fans, seems every day and start time is bad. I assume the AD isnt too involved with the scheduling or attendance of night classes and how would he be expected to know that 80% of the students who attend have Wed night classes...

Odd CU to have a promo for the biggest game of the season on a weekend. I know of bars that had beer nights but not on Super Bowl Sunday.
the crowd energy was going to be high for the #1 team in the country… multiply it by 15 for $2 beers and you get a 19 point win..

Think Saturday energy when Xavier came to play us ranked # 5 back in 2016 before heading to win the BET

Reactions: Pirate Russ

Ok since fox took over and then the split of weeknights with cbssn i would be intrigued with 630 830 and later times shu has had for league games only vs other schools

The schools lacks the understanding that they need to do more to incentive students to get to the games on weeknights.

Creighton had $2 beer night for the UConn game… granted the logistics are more difficult in that for us and The Rock, but do something.
To their credit they did recently have the students fill out a survey and one of the questions was about night classes and the start time. I think they have to do research about how peer schools still get a good turnout with the early tipoff. It might mean maybe making an institutional decision of having more night classes on a Monday night or Thursday.

Also feel more goes into it then what teams may be poor this season. Creighton and Depaul need later tip times for home dates...also logistics matter venue availability what other teams are playing in the league that night

Ok since fox took over and then the split of weeknights with cbssn i would be intrigued with 630 830 and later times shu has had for league games only vs other schools
You should get to work on that.

To be fair to Bryan Felt, he did say 6:30 WEDNESDAY night games, and there was a preponderance of Wednesdays this year, it seems, with one more to go.

the crowd energy was going to be high for the #1 team in the country… multiply it by 15 for $2 beers and you get a 19 point win..

Think Saturday energy when Xavier came to play us ranked # 5 back in 2016 before heading to win the BET
That XU game was great. The MSU game energy a few years later was better imo and we lost. Like the nova game in Myle's Sr yr.

I did way too much underage drinking as a kid but given the drunk liability laws of the past few decades, kinda shocked a college has a beer night promo when half the kids are underage. But they do.

And the three pt shooting percentages probably contributed a little too.

Reactions: Gohall129
Damn. Jerry writes a story mostly based on a topic that is not only critical to the Hall but one that has been a constant annoyance to our readers, what the school is doing regarding NIL. And yet we still have posters who are looking to turn a positive article into one filled with complaints.

Must we always look for the worse in every situation? Can't we also focus on McBride, Walsh, Frungillo and their efforts?

If I am felt here is what i would concerned about more than any nil fundraise effort...the next home game against another bubble conf team is on FS2 in favor of the PBA tour being on FS1 at the same time.

We have had that conversation about favoring the practice facility over NIL. But this article is painting a picture toward the future. Why can't we focus on that?
Because he chose to say and jerry and his editor chose to publish lame, playing the victim card nonsense about 630p et tip times.

Look i hope the actualized fundraising come end of summer is more than the current forecast. I hope shu alumni hit mega million and powerball and decide that the fortunate outcome of being lottery winners is better served to help shu in any and all positive ways.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If I am felt here is what i would concerned about more than any nil fundraise effort...the next home game against another bubble conf team is on FS2 in favor of the PBA tour being on FS1 at the same time.

Uconn is playing Nova at 8PM on Fox. Face it, the average CBB fan without a horse in the race will be watching this game.

The only viewers for our game will be followers of SH & Butler. Bowling will probably get a better audience.

As crazy as it is to say with a winning program I agree we need to incentivize the students. Get creative. Have kids register for best and most creative FT distraction teams and the winners get a $300-$400 gift card somewhere. We have to start thinking out of the box bc these excuses with timing, Ash Wednesday, Valentine’s Day are all nonsense.

To their credit they did recently have the students fill out a survey and one of the questions was about night classes and the start time. I think they have to do research about how peer schools still get a good turnout with the early tipoff. It might mean maybe making an institutional decision of having more night classes on a Monday night or Thursday.
A lot of Big East schools also play in pro/off-campus arenas which add to travel time. The Rock is three miles away but requires driving through downtown Newark at rush hour where there are traffic lights on every corner. Not exactly a five minute drive at that time.

Great job by JC! I wish the article included ways we could actually help our NIL.

3 areas where you can help:

1. Pirate Big East Tournament Tip-off:
2. Volunteer Tribute - $25K Match:
3. Become a subscriber:

Reactions: Halldan1
Must we always look for the worse in every situation? Can't we also focus on McBride, Walsh, Frungillo and their efforts?

Dan - for a guy that has been moderator of this site for as long as i can remember, you clearly don't know our fanbase too well....lol

Russ, most of the fanbase does the school well. But there are always outliers who see the negative in most everything. They have that right, but truthfully it's annoying as all hell to have to consistently read it.

Balance is the key. I put more credence into that than anything else. All good or all bad is an extreme and IMO a worthless read. I know some will say I am at one of those extremes. But if you really read everything I say regarding opinions I strive to be as fair as possible admitting I will slightly lean toward SHU if the debate is not an obvious one.

We have had that conversation about favoring the practice facility over NIL. But this article is painting a picture toward the future. Why can't we focus on that?
pirate faithful will always have something to complain about Until the day we win the national championship... at which point we’ll have about 12 hours of no complaints until the town of South Orange doesn’t allow SHU to do a championship parade down SO Ave because they decided to do a ribbon cutting for a group of tree huggers or something absurd along those lines.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT