ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I get a kick how there is this outcry about the number of transfers this year, that it’s a result of free agency, the extra year of eligibility because of the pandemic, the removal of the year sit - out rule and probably a few other reasons thrown out there. Here’s a list of the number of transfers in Division -1 from 2017 and counting this year to date.

2017 - 904
2018 - 882
2019 - 992
2020 - 1,026
2021 - 866 ( to date )

Seems to me we’ve had a hell of a lot of transfers for quite a while , even when the sit out a year provision was in place, when there was no pandemic, etc. Kids today are less patience then ever and have less hesitancy to switch schools and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
It’s not changing. The value system in the past that made transferring rarer is dead.

I get a kick how there is this outcry about the number of transfers this year, that it’s a result of free agency, the extra year of eligibility because of the pandemic, the removal of the year sit - out rule and probably a few other reasons thrown out there. Here’s a list of the number of transfers in Division -1 from 2017 and counting this year to date.

2017 - 904
2018 - 882
2019 - 992
2020 - 1,026
2021 - 866 ( to date )

Seems to me we’ve had a hell of a lot of transfers for quite a while , even when the sit out a year provision was in place, when there was no pandemic, etc. Kids today are less patience then ever and have less hesitancy to switch schools and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
just another example of the players (and overall generation) thinking they deserve more and are worth more than they are. there current situation isnt there fault.

Blah, blah, blah. This is what every generation says about the ones that follow them, and these kids' grandchildren will be saying it about the generations that smirk at them, too. The players are waking up and grabbing the same agency over their lives and careers that traditional college students have, and it's certainly their right to do it.

I won't pretend that many of them don't have people in their ears and encouraging them to do things that aren't ultimately in their best interest. Other kids will make choices that seem smart at the time and turn out not to be. If their becomes a critical mass of transfers that ultimately prove to be ill-fated, I think you'll see a backlash to the process and more and more kids opt to stay where they are, once they realize that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. Or perhaps it just becomes the new normal. One thing that is dead, however, is the idea that these kids are indentured servants who make a binding choice at 17 locking them down for the next four years, or that they exist to serve a system. That's all over.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

2017 - 904
2018 - 882
2019 - 992
2020 - 1,026
2021 - 866 ( to date )

I’m thinking 1500 by the time all is said and done this off-season. This is a new world we just gotta adjust accordingly however we can.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
One thing that is dead, however, is the idea that these kids are indentured servants who make a binding choice at 17 locking them down for the next four years, or that they exist to serve a system. That's all over.

How can something that never existed be over?

How can something that never existed be over?

Here's my view on this stuff.

I think the NCAA is going to rue the day it allowed graduating seniors to return because of COVID this year coupled with the new transfer rule. The former is like pouring gasoline on the latter. There was a better, for example, the old "redshirt" rule; that if a team missed more than 60% of its games because of COVID, or something like that, kids could return another year. Most teams like us basically had a pretty full season.

We will see on how the FA/transfer process plays out. I think if we get kids we like and don't lose any we really didn't want to lose, our fan base will be fine with it. Otherwise, we probably won't. No program is going to be immune. And no situation will be immune - I think the Gtown kid is an example of that, because he had to be from afar one of the least likely candidates around.

I understand the "player side" in that coaches push kids out the door all the time when they want to recruit over them but kids have to sit a year if they want to leave. I also understand the flip-side view. I think we'll get a handle for a year or two to see how it plays, and I think next year will be a better barometer because you won't have the COVID-eligibility rule in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ewing stuck this out for another year or so, and if this keeps up, decides that it is not worth his time to invest so much time in a kid, only to have him leave on a whim.
If the pay wasn't so absurd I think most coaches would jump ship. It's become a profession of grown men bowing down to teenagers.

Reactions: Burnsly
Blah, blah, blah. This is what every generation says about the ones that follow them, and these kids' grandchildren will be saying it about the generations that smirk at them, too. The players are waking up and grabbing the same agency over their lives and careers that traditional college students have, and it's certainly their right to do it.

I won't pretend that many of them don't have people in their ears and encouraging them to do things that aren't ultimately in their best interest. Other kids will make choices that seem smart at the time and turn out not to be. If their becomes a critical mass of transfers that ultimately prove to be ill-fated, I think you'll see a backlash to the process and more and more kids opt to stay where they are, once they realize that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. Or perhaps it just becomes the new normal. One thing that is dead, however, is the idea that these kids are indentured servants who make a binding choice at 17 locking them down for the next four years, or that they exist to serve a system. That's all over.
The truth of the matter is there is an insane number of student athletes who have no interest in picking a college based on life after basketball or football. To be honest I wish the schools would just pay the players, let them use that money to get their own housing, their own meals, and give their spots in the classroom and in the dorms to people who want to be there.

To appreciate the impact transfers have think about this . There are 350 Division 1 schools playing basketball and if each gave out its full 13 ships that adds up to 4550 total ships and with a 1,000 transfers that’s 22% of the players opting to transfer. If the number of transfers reach 1200 this year, a not unrealistic number given the special circumstances allowing seniors an extra year due to the pandemic we’re talking 26% of players opting to transfer.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The word that I received from my contact down south------"I wish I knew. This is becoming a really bad trend. He was the best returning player. Only 2 guys returning with any playing time were him and the freshman point guard. Mutombo’ s son is coming in next year. He’s 6’11 so maybe he was afraid of playing time. Who knows? We’ll never get back to being good if this continues."
He looking into the Timberlake rumor but it doesn't seem to have any merit

SIAP Noah Farrakhan is in the portal. PG from Patrick school we were involved with to some degree last year. Played little for E Carolina

Kevin Marfo, who led the nation in rebounding 2 years ago, is also in the portal. Played 12 mpg for A&M this past season. I think he is a NJ native.

Last edited:
SIAP Noah Farrakhan is in the portal. PG from Patrick school we were involved with to some degree last year. Played little for E Carolina

Kevin Marfo, who led the nation in rebounding 2 years ago, is also in the portal. Played 12 mpg for A&M this past season. I think he is a NJ native.

Marfo was someone many teams were after last year and Buzz got him but it didn't seem to work.

I’m sure Myles Johnson will go to an engineering school, but I would take him here in a heartbeat. Great kid

Damn why would Johnson leave? I don't understand some of the logic. Pike developed this kid into a good player and he is guaranteed significant minutes next year..

Reactions: cernjSHU
Damn why would Johnson leave? I don't understand some of the logic. Pike developed this kid into a good player and he is guaranteed significant minutes next year..
He wants to do his grad year at one of the elite graduate engineering schools in California

The word that I received from my contact down south------"I wish I knew. This is becoming a really bad trend. He was the best returning player. Only 2 guys returning with any playing time were him and the freshman point guard. Mutombo’ s son is coming in next year. He’s 6’11 so maybe he was afraid of playing time. Who knows? We’ll never get back to being good if this continues."
He looking into the Timberlake rumor but it doesn't seem to have any merit
When people said Georgetown was "young" I kept wondering what roster they were looking at. I think 4 of their top 6 kids were seniors -- everyone but the big fella and Harris. The 2-guard who started, the swing man whose name I'm forgetting, Pickett and Blair.

He wants to do his grad year at one of the elite graduate engineering schools in California
Got it. Well if its purely academic, and I have no idea how good a program Rutgers has for that, I can at least understand why he wants to.

When people said Georgetown was "young" I kept wondering what roster they were looking at. I think 4 of their top 6 kids were seniors -- everyone but the big fella and Harris. The 2-guard who started, the swing man whose name I'm forgetting, Pickett and Blair.

Two of those seniors, Bile and Carey were grad transfers. So while not "young" new to the program.

Ouch! They only have one 2021 commit who is not even in the Top 150. Geo Baker will most likely jump too, nothing prevents us from pursuing RU players. Imagine the heads that would explode if Baker landed at the Hall? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They do have just about everybody back and just added an open scholarship to add another player.

Agree big loss but Rutgers knew this was coming, probably not much of a surprise to insiders.

Jerry Carino even said it a few weeks ago on his Jersey Hoops podcast that if he used his 5th year he would likely go back to west coast..

Huge loss for Rutgers program --he improved so much --

I agree, don’t buy the playing time/competition angle. Could be a behind the scenes reason the average college hoops fan may not know. His transfer makes no sense at all to me.

Based on landing zone will be able to guess.....

Stanford? Weren’t they recruiting him to begin with before he got injured? Plenty of outstanding engineering schools there - Rutgers is good too but it is not Stanford or Cal-Tech and not home for him.

Ouch! They only have one 2021 commit who is not even in the Top 150. Geo Baker will most likely jump too, nothing prevents us from pursuing RU players. Imagine the heads that would explode if Baker landed at the Hall? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 2021 commit thing is deceiving because their top commit, Jaden Jones, decided to enroll early so he doesn't count towards the 2021 Class. At the time of the move he was ranked No. 96 by 247sports.

Reactions: mikewalsh
The 2021 commit thing is deceiving because their top commit, Jaden Jones, decided to enroll early so he doesn't count towards the 2021 Class. At the time of the move he was ranked No. 96 by 247sports.
Behind Jones they have nothing to speak of yet. Losing Baker would be painful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT