ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Interesting. 2nd team all-Patriot League. He didn't have good games against Duke and Syracuse in their OOC this year in blowout losses. In their win against Rutgers, he had 12 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assists, but 7 TOs.

I do wonder about the jump up to the Big East, but then again, we had a transfer from the Patriot League come in this year and he's definitely contributing, but it did take him some time to get up to speed. Very different players, obviously, and Jamir Harris had played in the B1G previously.

Last edited:
With the season over for many teams the pace of players entering the portal will ramp up quickly . The portal is just a few players shy of 200 and today alone 20+ players entered .

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I watched Quinn play twice this year. He’s big with some talent but slow and not much of a shot blocker for someone his size and playing in the PL.

No more 7 footers who are not basketball players for me.
As the season has progressed it has become more and more evident what Ike’s role is. He is told to control the paint on D and set picks on O. He does not look to score at all. When the ball is passed to him either down low or pick and roll he seems surprised and it’s usually a TO. Case in point when was the last time he was at the line? And he has a decent foul shot.
It would be nice to get some offensive production out of him but that doesn’t seem to be the game plan and as for now it’s working. Add to that the luxury we have of the emergence of Samuel on O and the coach has options.

I don't anything about this kid, but I always want a shot blocker in the middle. Defensively, the impact is immeasurable. Ike effects the game whether you see it or not. The opposition has to game plan around Ike in the middle. If they have a center who can hit the three, yes, Ike's effectiveness goes way down. But not many teams have that.

Ike's issue is with his hands. If he was able to catch the ball better, he would be more effective on the offensive side of the ball. I mean he has made a couple of baby hook shots the past few games. He actually has decent touch. His issues are catching and his footwork.

Give me the shot blocker.

You can play great post defense without being a shot blocker. Like Ramon Ramos.
Didn't say you can't. But a shot blocker alters the game. While I prefer a more mobile big shot blocker like Ro Gill, I will take an Ike every time. btw, our guards do not do a good job of funneling the dribble penetration towards the big man. They often get beat and then foul as opposed to funnel the player to your shot blocker. UConn during the Calhoun years did this to perfection.

Shot blocking. Definitely. A shot blocker with no offense. I think I pass. Would love a kalkbrenner nunge type of player. They won't learn post offense here so I hope we get a kid who brings it with them.

Last edited:
I don't anything about this kid, but I always want a shot blocker in the middle. Defensively, the impact is immeasurable. Ike effects the game whether you see it or not. The opposition has to game plan around Ike in the middle. If they have a center who can hit the three, yes, Ike's effectiveness goes way down. But not many teams have that.

Ike's issue is with his hands. If he was able to catch the ball better, he would be more effective on the offensive side of the ball. I mean he has made a couple of baby hook shots the past few games. He actually has decent touch. His issues are catching and his footwork.

Give me the shot blocker.
what about all the shots hes not blocking, guys hes leaving open or not defending, and rebounds hes not getting?

Height doesn’t automatically translate into someone being an outstanding or even a good basketball player at the center position , what you need are the requisite basketball skills and physical conditioning to be successful .

On March 7th I posted on this thread there were just shy of 200 players who have entered the portal. Just 22 days later on March 29th there are 943 and why the transfer portal has become so important especially for teams that see their roster decimated by players entering the portal and as an example Murray State has 7 players who have entered the portal ..

Reactions: Haas01562
I think he was a Skinn recruit. Maybe Maryland?
very possible. i mean...

53aec0af321b3df56e6c1f7444ae145d_image-0.jpeg

Height doesn’t automatically translate into someone being an outstanding or even a good basketball player at the center position , what you need are the requisite basketball skills and physical conditioning to be successful .
It’s not just the pivot. It pertains to the entire front court. Charles Barkley has guard height, but he was the round mound of rebound and a Dream Teamer because of strength, desire, and intellect.

Really interested if Sha could get Justice Williams from LSU with the Boyle connection. However a young man who committed to Will Wade may take a lot to get.

I am in the minority I'm sure but I would like to see us stop with the transfer portal nonsense and build the team the best way with recruits and play and develop the freshman, sophomores etc.. Bringing in transfer portal guys stymies the development of the young players as we have seen! The result was not all that great this past season!

I am in the minority I'm sure but I would like to see us stop with the transfer portal nonsense and build the team the best way with recruits and play and develop the freshman, sophomores etc.. Bringing in transfer portal guys stymies the development of the young players as we have seen! The result was not all that great this past season!
It’s here to stay, but it will probably level to the degree we’ve seen it the past few years. Covid really messed things up and it will take a few years to correct itself.

I was listening to Mad Dog a week or so ago & he was promoting a podcast he did regarding the Big East through 1989. Mad Dog said he reached out to former players, coaches & announcers to be part of the podcast & the only one that declined was Ewing. Of course Mad Dog took a shot at him saying something along the lines of "you'd think a guy who just finished 0-19 in the Big East would take some free media exposure for Georgetown. Explains a lot."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT