ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Transfer portal is all the rage on this forum but keep in mind: The players entering the portal are doing so for many reasons. Let me remind you of some of them: Not team players, Not studying or going to classes, Not liked by their team mates, Not like by their coach, bad work ethic, bad attitudes, head cases etc. Taking a transfer is sometimes or many times taking on a headache or problem for SHU! All kids are NOT great kids!

Hopefully we’re recruiting talent and people at the same time. Good people with no talent isn’t going to work and talent with poor character isn’t going to work either. Why not just have faith in the coach to do his job?

Reactions: SHUMatt
Transfer portal is all the rage on this forum but keep in mind: The players entering the portal are doing so for many reasons. Let me remind you of some of them: Not team players, Not studying or going to classes, Not liked by their team mates, Not like by their coach, bad work ethic, bad attitudes, head cases etc. Taking a transfer is sometimes or many times taking on a headache or problem for SHU! All kids are NOT great kids!
That is true of every grouping of people you can imagine. Some will be not so good... Implying that the kids in the pool are more likely to be damaged goods, dont like that at all.

The portal is probably a popular topic here because our recent experience has had few of the pitfalls you point out. One can debate the fine points of the basketball skills of Obiagu, Harris, Jackson, or Yetna, but few would disparage their credentials as student athletes. As others have pointed out , it is the way of the world these days in any event.

i do think that a lot of these transfers are going to put themselves in worse situations

You left out "to get away from 'fans' who love to do nothing more than criticize anything and everything about their program."

Totally disagree. Just like in life you have the good and the not-so-good. It’s being able to identify which kids fit into the system and will do what it takes to make the team better. Sometimes you just can’t believe everything that is written either….look at Kadary and the awful things said by his prior coach. Lol

This is the new era. Quality experienced players available in bunches annually. Also why sacrificing for youth movements is dangerous… they could leave instantly. Think KW realized this last offseason.

That was a Willard Crutch. Stop with the facilities excuse. Any coach worth their salt will recruit around that.
Then why do schools spend hundreds of millions on facilities when they could pay a coach worth their salt an extra million or even an extra 2 million to recruit around it. Why upgrade our facilities, let's bring back wrestling instead with that money, upgrade the hockey team to D1 with that money.

They spend cause it is good to have and they have the money.

Salesmen are trained to overcome objections, and to sniff out the customers who will never change their mind about needing these things.

Overcoming objections is a sales ABC. Don't use your short comings as a crutch, figure out a way around them. And don't whine about them all the tihme. They are a fact of life.

LOL! Geez, why did RU and PC waste all that money!?
Ok so as a recruit I am taking to a coach who is a proven winner and gets his players drafted and then another average coach who has a great facility who am I signing with? Hmmm I really would love a great gym membership. 🙄

Ok so as a recruit I am taking to a coach who is a proven winner and gets his players drafted and then another average coach who has a great facility who am I signing with? Hmmm I really would love a great gym membership. 🙄
Usually the two (good coach,

Salesmen are trained to overcome objections, and to sniff out the customers who will never change their mind about needing these things.

Overcoming objections is a sales ABC. Don't use your short comings as a crutch, figure out a way around them. And don't whine about them all the tihme. They are a fact of life.

Usually the two (good coaches, good facilities) go hand in hand.

Of course, but your prospect list is greatly reduced when you are perceived to have a less competitive product to sell. That’s also a sales ABC. That’s why good sales people are involved with their engineers/designers/fabricators etc to figure out ways to improve the product to make it more competitive.

Reactions: SHU AL 84
Usually the two (good coach,

Usually the two (good coaches, good facilities) go hand in hand.
No. Cal has been a great recruiter his entire career. Do you think Umass and Memphis had great facilities?
BTW Amaker had no problem recruiting a top 5 recruiting class after 1 sweet 16 run. Facilities were worst then. Not saying they don’t help but they shouldn’t be a built in excuse. Let’s see Willard her a top recruiting class at MD with their facilities. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for that.

Who is your example of a proven winner who gets players drafted with bad facilities?

No. Cal has been a great recruiter his entire career. Do you think Umass and Memphis had great facilities?
BTW Amaker had no problem recruiting a top 5 recruiting class after 1 sweet 16 run. Facilities were worst then. Not saying they don’t help but they shouldn’t be a built in excuse. Let’s see Willard her a top recruiting class at MD with their facilities. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for that.
They weren’t worse than..Memphis had very good facilities…and I would bet UMass is close to us or better FYI.:.wanna try again? Lol

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Most likely you're going with the guy who gets you paid more. My guess most recruits would go with Willard over Cal if Willard could get alums to make sure a recruit gets paid $500K more than what Cal offers him. Someone once told me of a recruit, we have a real chance with him if he turns down 4 different suitcases with money.

Overcoming obstacles is one thing, but how we lost a recruit like Kyle Anderson is beyond an obstacle any salesman can overcome. If someone is making an offer your company can't come close to matching, you lose the sale every damn time. Any company that blames the salesman for losing that sale is avoiding looking in the mirror and blaming themselves. Let's get this beautiful world where young men go into the recruiting experience clear minded and only caring about which coach is going to make their skills better out of our mind. That beautiful world doesn't exist. It's crooked and usually the most crooked school/coach wins the recruiting battle. Now we have players making 6 figures building their own personal brand with real companies. You think a good salesman is going to have players turn that down to go play for half or a quarter of that? Not happening, no matter how good your sales training is.

Let’s see. UMASS was close to a quarter century ago and Memphis was more than 15+ years ago. I think the landscape has changed a bit during that time. And Amaker couldn’t leave SHU fast enough.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
They weren’t worse than..Memphis had very good facilities…and I would bet UMass is close to us or better FYI.:.wanna try again? Lol
The Mullins Center at UMass opened in 1993, right in the middle of Cal's tenure there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT