ADVERTISEMENT

Willard/Pitt

I'm torn on this. Part of me thinks that Kevin has hit his ceiling, and that to take that next step, we are going to need an upgrade at the head coach position. Given our last 2 decades, he has earned himself several more years, and I won't argue that. We have some nice pieces coming back, much better than his early recruiting, but we are still an incomplete team. Him leaving of his own accord, while our brand is strong, might be the best thing for both parties.

Amazing, though, what a win over Kansas, and another week under the 24 hour news spotlight, would have done for our brand.
Man...I'm not sure I could have typed my thoughts any better... This post is spot on for me, even the part about KW earning himself several more years.

Holy crap. You finally agree with what I was saying 2 months ago. Welcome to the bright side.
You have the wrong guy. I hardly ever make posts about the coach on here, never ever wanted him to leave or be let go. it's just that the way you do it after games usually drags on and on for literally hours on end, and looks as foolish as those blasting him after every couple losses.

One can only hope that Willard takes the Pitt job. I would rather take a swing on a new coach than settle for more years of Willard mediocrity. There's a chance it all falls apart but to me it's worth the risk.

Shaheen is not the answer and I'm not sure why anyone thinks he would make a great head coach. Who did he get to learn from that you think is a high-level coach?
No coach of ours had a weaker resume than PJ. Pat Riley was the Lakers announcer before they hired him, and Phil Jackson coached in the CBA or whatever that league used to be called till Isaiah Thomas killed it...

Why though? Big east close to NYC? Is it campus lifestyle?

Not sure. Maybe things are different now, our athletic department is in better shape and we're not as far down the pecking order in the new Big East. But based on the history, the idea that Willard would leave and we'd make some sort of slam dunk hire seems like very wishful thinking.

You have the wrong guy. I hardly ever make posts about the coach on here, never ever wanted him to leave or be let go. it's just that the way you do it after games usually drags on and on for literally hours on end, and looks as foolish as those blasting him after every couple losses.

I'm sorry as a supporter of our program and a program going in the right direction I can't be a spectator as people blast our program or our coach.

No coach of ours had a weaker resume than PJ. Pat Riley was the Lakers announcer before they hired him, and Phil Jackson coached in the CBA or whatever that league used to be called till Isaiah Thomas killed it...
Riley half truth he was in broadcasting booth until hc mckinney got into the accident and westhead filled in rest of season and riley became assistant for rest of that year which was lakers chip and then next season they lost and the following season 6 games in magic forced buss hand sayings it me or westhead and then riley became coach and he didn't even last a decade

Man...I'm not sure I could have typed my thoughts any better... This post is spot on for me, even the part about KW earning himself several more years.

...and if he stays, the next 2-3 years will be telling. CAN he keep us in the top 3-4 of the conference? Can we expect to compete for an at-large bid on a yearly basis, and get out of the first weekend every couple of years? If he can keep it going, without the "core 4," then I will feel better about his ceiling.

We are in a different position now than after Amaker, Orr, and Gonzo.

We are coming off of 3 consecutive NCAA appearances. We offer a competitive salary. We have a solid AD in Lyons. Interest and attendance are higher than they’ve been in years. We have good talent returning.

If Willard leaves the next coach won’t be tasked with cleaning up someone else’s mess.

Hmm...kind of like when PJ left?

Perhaps you are right and FOR ONCE we will get this right. But...until then...call me a skeptic.

If Willard leaves on his own, Sha would be my top choice. This was the most successful stretch we've had in 2 decades and with some good pieces on the roster as well as the culture built by Kevin and this senior class, I think the most important thing right now is continuity. Sha provides continuity. Hiring an outside coach would be hitting another 4+ year reset button and for the first time in a long time, that's not what we would need to do in a coaching search. I'm not saying Sha is necessarily the best candidate out there, I just think SHU is in a place right now where promoting an internal candidate and continuing to build on Willard's foundation is a better move than starting over with an outside coach. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Not sure. Maybe things are different now, our athletic department is in better shape and we're not as far down the pecking order in the new Big East. But based on the history, the idea that Willard would leave and we'd make some sort of slam dunk hire seems like very wishful thinking.

I feel much better about our position now than if we had let WIllard go a few years ago.
We have proven the BE isn't going anywhere as one of the top conferences. We have proven that Seton Hall can be a winning program. We have proven that we would be willing to give enough time for the right hire to win here.

A few years ago, any candidate would be looking at taking on a huge amount of risk at SHU. Much of that risk has faded away.

I don't want WIllard to leave, but if he does - I think we are in a position to make a good hire.

Reactions: shu09
One can only hope that Willard takes the Pitt job. I would rather take a swing on a new coach than settle for more years of Willard mediocrity. There's a chance it all falls apart but to me it's worth the risk.

Shaheen is not the answer and I'm not sure why anyone thinks he would make a great head coach. Who did he get to learn from that you think is a high-level coach?
I’m sorry but don’t have an adjective to describe how how ungrounded this post is.

Idiotic post. By SHU standards nothing has been mediocre about the last 3 years. Probably one of the better runs in school history.

Ask Pitt fans if the risk was worth it.
So, because Pitt followed it with a bad hire, that means that every program, everywhere, is absolutely locked into making the same mistake?

Hmm...kind of like when PJ left?

Perhaps you are right and FOR ONCE we will get this right. But...until then...call me a skeptic.
Pj left at a time when he had a goal to coach at the highest of levels for the greatest money and based on this board over the years pj was over the recruiting process

Willard's "mediocrity" as you call it, represents equaling the best 3 year streak in the "NCAA era" (ie now when the NIT was king) in Seton Hall history.

Now....did we all hope for more this year, and with this class...almost certainly...as I am sure they did (and am sure Virginia didn't expect to make history this year also) but to term this as "mediocrity" is a major over statement, in my opinion.

I really hope we have Coach Willard for a long time to come with Sha as his lead assistant.

We won’t do any better than Coach and we will be in this cycle of good recruiting fortunes for a while (just like Cronin has been at Cincy after Lance Stephenson)

Even though there are still slight things I dislike about Willard, you would be nuts to seek better

Reactions: mbraue
I think one of the reasons there are not a lot of openings this year is because the cupboard is bare out there in replacements. You have to know who you are hiring before you fire some one today.

Willard is not near the top choice at Pitt. A ton of things would have to go down before he heads their list.

Nova is the best job in the Big East hands down for a million different reasons. Georgetown is second. After that it is debatable except that Depaul is by far the worst. Some schools have incredibly established programs, like Xavier. Then you have Creighton with a top 10 fan base that few can match. Marquette has history and tremendous resources. And SJU has New York and the Garden. Like it or not, when SJU has any type of success they get tremendous attention nationally and locally that others do not.

There are plenty of positives to the Hall job that make it attractive and while proximity to NY helps recruiting it doesn’t automatically result in national exposure or recognition.

Absolutely. Dying to get an opportunity at the collegiate level again and if it is local he doesn’t have to displace his family.

Just regarding the Rice comment.....he would take that job in a heartbeat.

Willard's "mediocrity" as you call it, represents equaling the best 3 year streak in the "NCAA era" (ie now when the NIT was king) in Seton Hall history.

Now....did we all hope for more this year, and with this class...almost certainly...as I am sure they did (and am sure Virginia didn't expect to make history this year also) but to term this as "mediocrity" is a major over statement, in my opinion.

Whoa! This equaled the best 3 year streak in Seton Hall history? Making it to the dance does not make it equal to the PJ runs in the tournament. 91- Final 8, 92 - Sweet 16, 93 second round. Yes, SH made the dance 3 years in a row. In those 3 years, only one tournament win. 1-3 record.

88- second round loss to Arizona, 89 National Runner-Up, 90 did not make the NCAA tournament.

There are plenty of positives to the Hall job that make it attractive and while proximity to NY helps recruiting it doesn’t automatically result in national exposure or recognition.

Excellent point. We were once known on a national stage as the team with the bearded coach who wore sweater vests. Now we are nationally recognized for Powell's last second shot against Kansas.

Whoa! This equaled the best 3 year streak in Seton Hall history? Making it to the dance does not make it equal to the PJ runs in the tournament. 91- Final 8, 92 - Sweet 16, 93 second round. Yes, SH made the dance 3 years in a row. In those 3 years, only one tournament win. 1-3 record.

88- second round loss to Arizona, 89 National Runner-Up, 90 did not make the NCAA tournament.
Shu lost to a team that either won or played in the national champ game in 89 91 and 92

There's a better chance of Seton75 growing hair than there is of Mike Rice ever being hired in any capacity at Seton Hall, it's just the way it is.

Also, methinks this thread is much ado about nothing, although you never know.
Ditto - much ado about nothing.

Willard is not near the top choice at Pitt. A ton of things would have to go down before he heads their list.

I think he deserves to be, however - I also think he would be an idiot to take that job.
I just don't see that as an attractive job anymore. Huge hill to climb out of the basement of the ACC.

Reactions: shu09
I’m not really sure how anyone can be certain that Sha will be or won’t be a good head coach considering he’s never been in that position before.

The case for Sha is simple. He provides some continuity for what has been built over the past four years. He is our primary recruiter and has developed relationships with the players currently on the roster and Nelson and Rhoden. Promote Sha and you are likely to have few, if any, defections. He is also a beloved former player. We are less likely to have to worry about him using this job as a stepping stone, which may be the case when bringing in someone with no ties to the program.

Hopefully Willard stays, but if not I’m all for promoting Sha and bringing in an experienced coach to aide him. I’d also like to see MTE brought in in some capacity.

And we could get him cheaply.

Have any of your other 171 posts been longer than 1 word? I guess I did get you to add a period versus your first post so thank you for elaborating...
Have you provided any solid reasons for your inane opinions? NO. "Don't hate. That's a female trait."

Last edited:
If Willard leaves on his own, Sha would be my top choice. This was the most successful stretch we've had in 2 decades and with some good pieces on the roster as well as the culture built by Kevin and this senior class, I think the most important thing right now is continuity. Sha provides continuity. Hiring an outside coach would be hitting another 4+ year reset button and for the first time in a long time, that's not what we would need to do in a coaching search. I'm not saying Sha is necessarily the best candidate out there, I just think SHU is in a place right now where promoting an internal candidate and continuing to build on Willard's foundation is a better move than starting over with an outside coach. Just my 2 cents.

Don't confuse the issue with logic. I think your post is worth quite a bit more than 2 cents. Continuity is huge in all team sports and that includes the entire program. I hope that we found the right recipe for success. Let's see if we can build on it.

We are in a different position now than after Amaker, Orr, and Gonzo.

We are coming off of 3 consecutive NCAA appearances. We offer a competitive salary. We have a solid AD in Lyons. Interest and attendance are higher than they’ve been in years. We have good talent returning.

If Willard leaves the next coach won’t be tasked with cleaning up someone else’s mess.

No but he might turn it into a mess.

I agree with you about Cluess, but does our team play much defense?
The last 7 games, YES! The previous 2 seasons, YES! Unfortunately our players didn't take the defensive side of the ball seriously this season until their backs were against the wall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT