ADVERTISEMENT

Willard

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
On the Trove I posted a 22 minute Q&A by Willard last Wed at Big East Media Day.

Here's a few questions for the free board.

Q What will be the effect of the new shot clock on your team?

A On the defensive end it will help us. We'll press but you don't have to be as aggressive. At times you want to be a little more passive. The more clock you can eat in the backcourt the less time the opponent can get into an offense.

It's only a five second change but that makes it more difficult to get into your offense. That will help us on the defensive end.

On offense I think everyone is going to struggle at first until you get used to the short clock.

Q What impact in terms of leadership have your two transfers, Anderson and Gordon made on this young team?

A It's been really important. The sophomore group now knows what's going on. But to have two different guys coming from separate programs who have been through the wars, the grind, really helps the younger players.

Especially Derrick. Derrick has given us a sense of maturity that we haven't always had. He's really helped our guards in the sense of his work ethic. He really works hard every day with a great attitude. But he also has a very nice calm about him.

And Braden, hey I'm not sure how much anyone of us has seen him (smiling) since he spends so much time at the law school has been great too. Plus he a big body at 6-9 240 so that helps us on the court too. It gives us someone to bang with Angel. The kind of competition that will help him in games.

Q You mentioned the benefit of having length at the 3. Can you further comment?

A Veer is a legit 6-7 who can really shoot the basketball. He's a player embracing getting shots off playing with Khadeen and Isaiah. And Desi is a 3 man that we haven't had in the past. He's an attacker, a great rebounder, especially offensively. So they compliment each other because they are complete opposites.

Veer right now is a freshmen. He's the kind of player that is going to sit on the perimeter and be an outside threat. And Desi is the kind of guy who will attack the rim, get inside, post up at times because he played the 4 last year. Basically they compliment each other because they are different players.

That gives me options I didn't have last season.

Q Not a lot is known about Jevon Thomas who has to sit out this season. Could you advise what he means to the program during his sit out year.

A Jevon is working our guards to death. I mean I actually have to rotate the guards on different teams to give them a break.

Khadeen came out to me the other day between double sessions and said coach put that guy on my team.

He's a pit bull and he gets after it. He's like a waterbug. He easily gets in the lane. He's quick...doesn't shoot it great yet and he needs to have confidence in his shot which is his biggest problem now but he's going to give us a guy who will be a tenacious defender and a guy who will be able on offense to get into the lane whenever he wants.

I would have first asked Willard to define the word leadership before asking him to speak on it. As he has never shown nor recognized leadership, I am confused as to why the questioner thinks he understands the word itself.

I also notice that the interview seems to be generally about basketball. Again, not sure why anyone thinks Willard has a valid opinion on the subject.

Assuming the questions centering on Willards area of expertise have been left for the pay board, so if he says anything enlightening about clapping, please let us know.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I would have first asked Willard to define the word leadership before asking him to speak on it. As he has never shown nor recognized leadership, I am confused as to why the questioner thinks he understands the word itself.

I also notice that the interview seems to be generally about basketball. Again, not sure why anyone thinks Willard has a valid opinion on the subject.

Assuming the questions centering on Willards area of expertise have been left for the pay board, so if he says anything enlightening about clapping, please let us know.
Yeah I'm sure you would have. So easy to man up hidden behind a keyboard.

Willard appears at many SHU events including Blue White practices, Beefsteak dinners, multiple charity events, and tons of other on campus occasions. How about you grow a pair and approach him with your questions!!!???

I would love to see you in action!

Willard is better with these pre season interviews than any of the local coaches over the past 6+ years. He's very articulate and clear with what he hopes to see with each player. And with all the negativity with his record, you have to appreciate some of the better things he does.

Willard is better with these pre season interviews than any of the local coaches over the past 6+ years. He's very articulate and clear with what he hopes to see with each player. And with all the negativity with his record, you have to appreciate some of the better things he does.
Great speaker off the court vs great (make that good) coach on the court - tough choice for what a real (make that casual) fan would appreciate more

Reactions: shupat08
Sorry to say it, but I'm completely tuned out on Willard. Appreciate the time posting the information though, but nothing he says has any value at this point.

Let's hope the team actually makes the NCAA Tournament. It'll be 10 years since our last appearance this March. OMG.

Reactions: Shuathelete
Sorry to say it, but I'm completely tuned out on Willard. Appreciate the time posting the information though, but nothing he says has any value at this point.

Let's hope the team actually makes the NCAA Tournament. It'll be 10 years since our last appearance this March. OMG.
I'm with Piratz. Thankful for all of the information Dan posts, but Willard's words are just white noise to me. Actions, wins, a trip to the NCAA's is all that matters.

Reactions: Seton75
Yes, but what's he supposed to, say "no comment, I haven't won anything yet" to every question?

By saying this stuff you are insulting dans hard work!

Yes, but what's he supposed to, say "no comment, I haven't won anything yet" to every question?

Dan's hard work is appreciated by virtually everyone who is a SH fan. Without it, there's basically no site. You just can't please everyone all the time. If you could you'd bottle it.

Last edited:

The point is, Willard can say anything he wants and he should give interviews. It's just that the words don't matter at this point. Only results do.

Reactions: Fzacsattac
The point is, Willard can say anything he wants and he should give interviews. It's just that the words don't matter at this point. Only results do.
Pete, some I agree with. It's just coaches speak. Obviously no coach is going to say anything bad about his kids. But you read the Q&A on the Trove. It took 22 minutes of recordings (word for word). That means there was an awful lot of answers that were of interest.

Beside the usual coaches speak here's just a few topics of interest.

1. How he was going to use players.

2. At which positions.

3. Style of play. Zone vs M/M this year.

4. Rules interpretations and how he would respond. Including the shot clock and physicality questions.

5. Who he thought were the two best teams in the league and why.

6. Personalities of a few of the players and who he saw as the team leaders. Not who you might think.

7. What he learned from (his mistakes) last year.

8. Talked about some players we haven't seen yet...Veer, Anderson, Nzei, Gordon, Thomas.

I'm with Piratz. Thankful for all of the information Dan posts, but Willard's words are just white noise to me. Actions, wins, a trip to the NCAA's is all that matters.
Count me in too. And I think the same about most coaches. The good thing about interviews with coaches is that they are talking about college hoops.

BTW, Willard only ducked one question which is unusual for coaches at any venue. He refused to offer his starting lineup.

Reading between the lines in speaking to him it's obvious that Whitehead, Carrington and Delgado will start.

Almost a sure thing that either Desi or Singh will start at the 3 with the other getting major minutes.

That leaves the 4. My gut is Nzei over Ish with Anderson and Delgado seeing time there as well.

Pete, some I agree with. It's just coaches speak. Obviously no coach is going to say anything bad about his kids. But you read the Q&A on the Trove. It took 22 minutes of recordings (word for word). That means there was an awful lot of answers that were of interest.

Beside the usual coaches speak here's just a few topics of interest.

1. How he was going to use players.

2. At which positions.

3. Style of play. Zone vs M/M this year.

4. Rules interpretations and how he would respond. Including the shot clock and physicality questions.

5. Who he thought were the two best teams in the league and why.

6. Personalities of a few of the players and who he saw as the team leaders. Not who you might think.

7. What he learned from (his mistakes) last year.

8. Talked about some players we haven't seen yet...Veer, Anderson, Nzei, Gordon, Thomas.
Dan, you obviously worked hard to get Willard's (and all of the interviews). Willard has lost me so his thoughts, opinions, interpretations, and everything else on the list are really meaningless until and if he wins.

Reactions: HallLine69
Dan, you obviously worked hard to get Willard's (and all of the interviews). Willard has lost me so his thoughts, opinions, interpretations, and everything else on the list are really meaningless until and if he wins.
I understand you're not a fan of his and neither are many others. But there's a lot of relevant info coming from the head coach.

Agreed or disagree with what he says but it's going to be done his way so I'm always anxious to hear his thoughts on how he is going to do what he does. I then like to comment on what he is doing be it pro or con.

If I am not mistaken, Willard has said on more than one occasion that he believes this team is good enough to make the NCAA tournament. That is a bold, aggressive and measurable statement and that is good enough for me. Everything else he says will only be in support of that main statement.

If I am not mistaken, Willard has said on more than one occasion that he believes this team is good enough to make the NCAA tournament. That is a bold, aggressive and measurable statement and that is good enough for me. Everything else he says will only be in support of that main statement.
I did ask him about that. He didn't shy away from why he thinks this is his best team.

Agree or disagree but he has gone on record so clearly he's not shying away from self imposed pressure.

A wise, calculated comment by him. He really has no choice. He's going to be fired if he doesn't anyway.

A wise, calculated comment by him. He really has no choice. He's going to be fired if he doesn't anyway.

Generally, I try to avoid parsing everything the guy says but hooray for him for making a wise and calculated comment! I am not in the camp that says he will be fired if he doesn't make the tournament. It is possible of course but I believe he is on firmer ground than you would prefer.

Generally, I try to avoid parsing everything the guy says but hooray for him for making a wise and calculated comment! I am not in the camp that says he will be fired if he doesn't make the tournament. It is possible of course but I believe he is on firmer ground than you would prefer.
I don't think he's going anywhere either, as long as there are no major embarassments and 5-13 type disasters. If we are competitive and he has a decent recruiting class coming in, I doubt he's going anywhere. I don't think his job hinges on making the tournament, but that's just my opinion. The school will not fire him if he just misses out on a berth, with much of his roster returning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT