ADVERTISEMENT

#4 MARQ 73. #1 Kansas 59

The Big East is going to be trouble for us. Unless we are dramatically improved, which we don’t know yet. We are looking at 2 losses each to Marq, Creighton, UConn, and we know what Villanova does to us no matter what. Thats 8 conference losses unless we get some unexpected breaks. Zero margin for error.

No. 4 Marquette knocks off No. 1 Kansas in heated showdown​

HONOLULU -- Oso Ighodaro had 21 points and nine rebounds as No. 4 Marquette routed No. 1 Kansas 73-59 on Tuesday night in the Maui Invitational semifinals.

The early-season clash of top-five teams with national title hopes ended up being one-sided. The Golden Eagles (5-0) led for all but 22 seconds and were up by 17 with about seven minutes to play.

Marquette will take on No. 2 Purdue for the tournament championship Wednesday.

Tempers flared in the first half after Kansas swingman Kevin McCullar Jr. drained a 3-pointer in front of Marquette's bench. McCullar jawed at Golden Eagles coach Shaka Smart as he headed back down the court, and members of both teams had to be pulled away from the heated dustup that followed.

An angry Smart and Jayhawks coach Bill Self appeared to exchange unpleasantries along the sideline at the end of the ensuing discussion with officials.

"At the end of the day, it had very little to do with the game," Smart said. "Our guys did a really good job of just basically ignoring what happened and just continuing to play, and that shows their maturity and their poise."

Smart said he and McCullar are plenty familiar with each other going back to when Smart was coaching Texas and McCullar played for Texas Tech.

"He's always kind of enjoyed having dialogue with me -- he probably does that with all coaches -- but that probably started the dustup and then their bench got involved and our bench got involved," Smart said.

Ighodaro shot 9-of-15 from the field and scored 14 points in the second half. Chase Ross added 12 points and six rebounds off the bench, and Kam Jones scored 10.

"We felt like as a team, that this was a game that we had some advantages in, but we felt like it was really, really important to press those advantages by being connected, helping each other, having a level of resolve even when things don't go our way," Smart said. "I thought our guys started the game with really, really good energy. Both teams were scoring but then after about the first six to eight minutes I thought we settled in defensively, and that was the difference in the game."

McCullar had 24 points and eight rebounds to pace the Jayhawks (4-1). Preseason All-America center Hunter Dickinson was held to 13 points and eight boards. He entered averaging 24.3 points and 12 rebounds per game.

Marquette outscored Kansas 46-26 in the paint and converted 18 forced turnovers into 20 points. Tyler Kolek made five steals and Stevie Mitchell had four to lead an impressive defensive performance by the Golden Eagles, the defending Big East tournament and regular-season champions.

"I thought Marquette played great. I thought they were so quick," Self said. "We got behind and played catch up the whole game, but I actually thought we played better than the score. We missed a lot of free throws and botched as many opportunities as we did, and a lot of times botched opportunities lead to points on the other end. But they were definitely the much better team tonight."

Marquette, which led 38-28 at halftime, improved to 3-11 against top-ranked teams with its first victory since beating Villanova 74-72 at home in January 2017.

The Big East is going to be trouble for us. Unless we are dramatically improved, which we don’t know yet. We are looking at 2 losses each to Marq, Creighton, UConn, and we know what Villanova does to us no matter what. Thats 8 conference losses unless we get some unexpected breaks. Zero margin for error.
Also opportunities for upsets but yea, EXTREMELY TOUGH

Kansas follows their coaches lead: no class. Winningest program in college hoops, but under Self’s lead they haven’t learned to lose with class.
Misplaced take… it happened in the first half and Shaka was the one who reacted and ran on the court.

These kids always talk after hitting a big shot. Shaka didn’t need to get involved like that. Big east coaches are crazy this year

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Cannot see Purdue hanging with Marquette, at this point cannot see anyone beating them. Long season and any given night things can fall apart for any team but this team is loaded. Love watching Kansas get a beating!

Stayed up and watched the whole game. Marquette was impressive.
Their relentless defense sped up Kansas all game. They were flying all over the court and never let up.
Ighodaro played a great game on both ends.

Able to keep up the constant pressure because they have a deep bench. Sean Jones, Chase Ross and Ben Gold are very good. They all play so well together and never stop moving on offense and defense.

Plus they shot terrible from 3. Missed many open looks. Make half of those they win by 20 or more.

Reactions: pirate AI

Yes - it is going to be tough for us to go 10-10 with 6 losses to the Top 3. It means we need to split with everyone else and sweep Butler, Gtown and DePaul. With that said, i think we are going to pick up a win at home against one of the big 3.

Shaka Smart, Bill Self in heated dustup at Maui Invitational​

It’s not all sunshine and relaxation in Hawaii.

Marquette coach Shaka Smart and Kansas counterpart Bill Self had a heated exchange during the Golden Eagles’ 73-59 win over the top-ranked Jayhawks at the Maui Invitational on Tuesday.

It started when tempers flared late in the first half after Kansas swingman Kevin McCullar Jr. drained a 3-pointer in front of Marquette’s bench.

McCullar jawed with Smart as he headed back downcourt, and members of both teams had to be pulled away from the heated dustup that followed.

Both teams were given technical fouls.

Smart and Self appeared to exchange unpleasantries along the sideline at the end of the ensuing discussion with officials.

“At the end of the day it had very little to do with the game,” Smart said. “Our guys did a really good job of just basically ignoring what happened and just continuing to play, and that shows their maturity and their poise.”

Self didn’t seem to believe Smart’s side of the story.

“I doubt it was accurate, whatever he [Smart] said. I’m not going to get into it,” Self, who just signed a lifetime contract with Kansas, told Yahoo Sports.

Smart said he and McCullar are plenty familiar with each other going back to when Smart was coaching Texas and McCullar played for Texas Tech.

“He’s always kind of enjoyed having dialogue with me — he probably does that with all coaches — but that probably started the dustup and then their bench got involved and our bench got involved,” Smart said.

Marquette outscored Kansas 46-26 in the paint and converted 18 forced turnovers into 20 points.

Tyler Kolek made five steals and Stevie Mitchell had four to lead an impressive defensive performance by Marquette, the defending Big East Tournament and regular-season champions.

Marquette, the fourth-ranked team in the nation, will face No. 2 Purdue in the Maui finals on Wednesday, while Kanas gets No. 7 Tennessee.

The elite field included four of the top seven teams in the country, as well as Gonzaga, Syracuse, UCLA and host Chaminade.

I don't mind seeing the coaches go at it. Winnng is everthing for the fans , and it should be the same for the players and coaches too.

Kansas follows their coaches lead: no class. Cheatingest Winningest program in college hoops, but under Self’s lead they haven’t learned to lose with class.
FIFY

I semi wanted Kansas to hold it together until we played them at their place, but Marquette is making a statement about where it belongs on the nation stage. That's good for the conference.

I'm looking forward to our game at the Phog, definitely looking forward to what's likely to be three games against Marquette. They are going to be battles.

The big east is absolutely going to be a gauntlet this year, but at least the top half of the conference is going to help RPI. Seton Hall is looking good so far. I have to think if you go 500 in the conference you would be in the debate for the tournament. Keep in mind though, the bottom half of the conference is pretty bad so you should be able to pick up two wins against those teams.

This year very much feels like the old Big East. We will have to see if reality meets those expectations.

Last edited:
Big statement by Marquette. I'm not a big fan of either coach so whatever.

The top of the Big East is exceptional. We'll see about the rest of it.
Hard not to like Shaka.

Regarding the Purdue game, it's amazing to see Rick Barnes going strong at Tennessee. First year in BE was our near-championship season, '88-'89.

Think of all the BE coaches who have come and gone in that span.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Huge Statement game from Marquette. Igodoro gave us fits last year. I don't see any of our big men that can stop him.

Huge Statement game from Marquette. Igodoro gave us fits last year. I don't see any of our big men that can stop him.
He's a nightmare to handle because he's not a prototypical center. The guy is like a point forward all over the court. He's ideal for the current NBA style.

Bediako is post player. EHE I don't know what yet. NgaNga if he was better on defense might be able to help, but not happening this year.

Got to give credit to Shaka for putting this roster together and coaching them up. But honestly I can't stand him. If you watch him, he chirps at opposing players and does that annoying hands to the floor bit all game long. He' s a jerk and invites what happened IMO, but in the end is a really good coach. You can be both a jerk and a good coach - lol.

Got to give credit to Shaka for putting this roster together and coaching them up. But honestly I can't stand him. If you watch him, he chirps at opposing players and does that annoying hands to the floor bit all game long. He' s a jerk and invites what happened IMO, but in the end is a really good coach. You can be both a jerk and a good coach - lol.

Shaka is a big phony and quite unlikable. His act with the media is far different than on the court.

Shaka is a big phony and quite unlikable. His act with the media is far different than on the court.
you guys know better than I , really don't know if he's a phony or a jerk but to take teams to the tournament in 12 of his 15 years ( including 23/24) coaching is pretty damn good.

I wonder how many times a team has played against the #1 and #2 teams in the country in back to back games as Marquette is about to.. take it even further and it’s on back to back nights.

you guys know better than I , really don't know if he's a phony or a jerk but to take teams to the tournament in 12 of his 15 years ( including 23/24) coaching is pretty damn good.
On the other hand, Shaka has won one NCAA Tournament game since 2013 and is 1-8 in his last eight NCAA appearances.

We just had a lengthy thread (not to mention a years long debate) over how that isn't good enough.

On the other hand, Shaka has won one NCAA Tournament game since 2013 and is 1-8 in his last eight NCAA appearances.

We just had a lengthy thread (not to mention a years long debate) over how that isn't good enough.
I understand ,,, thanks,,,,

I understand ,,, thanks,,,,
I should rephrase that last part to say how some don't feel that is good enough.

Coach Smart is also a coach with a Final Four on his resume but that is now coming up on 13 years (and two schools) in the rear view mirror.

i think its funny how some people here critique these coaches as being this and that, but if one of them was our coach leading us to these ranks I think those complaining wouldnt care about the coach slapping the floor jus saying haha

Reactions: SPK145
Hard not to like Shaka.

Regarding the Purdue game, it's amazing to see Rick Barnes going strong at Tennessee. First year in BE was our near-championship season, '88-'89.

Think of all the BE coaches who have come and gone in that span.
Barnes first game as a coach was against SHU…..

George Mason at SHU in the preseason NIT, only SHU used the RAC (!!!!!) as its home court for that game and Middle Tennessee in the next round

Reactions: TheHall87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT