ADVERTISEMENT

40 minute no show

Total and complete embarrassment. i knew within 15 minutes we were not winning this game although i did not think it would be this bad. This team was playing so well before the Richmond injury, but have been totally out of synch since then. This was was just a continuation of the sloppy play from the Georgetown game. They were unwatchable today. Incredibly disappointed. I did not expect these types of efforts from Sha coached team. Nonetheless, his team's have suffered some really embarrassing loses on the road over his first 2 years.

Law of averages has kicked in big time. Can’t survive with extremely inconsistent shooters in Dawes and Wusu and a one dimensional star player offensively. Once in while all 3 will click but not often enough.

We have two very good wins and not much else. If that’s all we have a month from now we won’t even be close to the bubble. Every day more and more bubble teams are beating ranked opponents and passing us by.

What is never acceptable is a total lack of effort and commitment to winning which is what we saw today and the staff has to find out why we saw that today and at too many other times this year.

Reactions: JCB11 and Piratz
I think this is easily the worst performance of the Sha era. But maybe I'm forgetting a stinker from last season.

Reactions: mbraue
I think this is easily the worst performance of the Sha era. But maybe I'm forgetting a stinker from last season.
Last year we had 3 20+ point conference losses…2 at home

Last year we blew a few teams out too though..very odd

the formula was simple for nova. zone us to death. we cant shoot and not nearly smart enough to figure out how to take advantage of the zone. the one advantage we would have is getting out into fast breaks , but the problem there is nova didnt miss. absolutely no chance to win, almost felt like it was being a depaul fan. just a bad team when the ball goes in the other teams net.

Reactions: mbraue
the formula was simple for nova. zone us to death. we cant shoot and not nearly smart enough to figure out how to take advantage of the zone. the one advantage we would have is getting out into fast breaks , but the problem there is nova didnt miss. absolutely no chance to win, almost felt like it was being a depaul fan. just a bad team when the ball goes in the other teams net.
How smart is Nova on the court? Before this win, lost 7 of the last 8, no? Today, Mensa quality IQ.

I guess you weren’t at the RU game this year. Stomach turning performance agains a truly poor team and a hated local rival on our home court. That was repulsive.

Where is the personal pride that a player exhibits so that they can say , even if they lose badly, they gave it their all. Sha needs to take a long Hard look at why that quality in his players is missing.

Reactions: SHU Advisory
Cannot believe that we don't see more zones from every team . Forget the macho man to man theory . I'm a big fan of using zone defenses at certain times . In this case it is easy to see why you play zone against us .

Where is the personal pride that a player exhibits so that they can say , even if they lose badly, they gave it their all. Sha needs to take a long Hard look at why that quality in his players is missing.
Personal pride? That’s long gone. Remember when we would read it was the fault of the pregame or halftime speech if guys came out flat? Personal pride didn’t matter then and it sure as hell didn’t come back in style in the NIL era.

Reactions: HallX2
It’s all about the response now. Yesterday was a fiasco, they looked listless from the jump. The defense did not have the intensity you need to have and the offense was a joke… Settling for so many 3’s. When the defense packs it in, work! Move guys around set screens, drive it right at them (defenders usually don’t like to be attacked), don’t shoot with nobody under the rim and let them take away your best offensive skill = offensive rebounding. But that requires intensity and drive. We looked like a team that hadn’t practiced in weeks.

We know this team is limited. We’ve had other good teams – NCAA Tournament teams – that got their asses kicked during the season here or there. We’ve also had good teams that went through swoons make the Tournament. Hopefully this is a swoon and not the start of a collapse.

It’s all about the response now. Yesterday was a fiasco, they looked listless from the jump. The defense did not have the intensity you need to have and the offense was a joke… Settling for so many 3’s. When the defense packs it in, work! Move guys around set screens, drive it right at them (defenders usually don’t like to be attacked), don’t shoot with nobody under the rim and let them take away your best offensive skill = offensive rebounding. But that requires intensity and drive. We looked like a team that hadn’t practiced in weeks.

We know this team is limited. We’ve had other good teams – NCAA Tournament teams – that got their asses kicked during the season here or there. We’ve also had good teams that went through swoons make the Tournament. Hopefully this is a swoon and not the start of a collapse.
You’re right. It’s all how we respond. Wednesday could be interesting if X has to fly in midday, get off the plane and just play. Very doable just not the normal routine for any team.

Despite being 2-1 in the last 3 we have not played well. If anyone has ever put a positive spin on a swoon, you just did. Well done.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Tough to stomach.... I somehow managed to watch to the bitter end and witness one SHU player after the other mutter "no mas" and quit. Embarrassing all around.

Digging deep to follow my own advice not to get too low after a loss or too high after a win. For the record, my empty seat at the Rock Wednesday is due to an illness......... I have not yet thrown in the towel.... I am still too busy picking up the towels thrown by our players.

Tough to stomach.... I somehow managed to watch to the bitter end and witness one SHU player after the other mutter "no mas" and quit. Embarrassing all around.

Digging deep to follow my own advice not to get too low after a loss or too high after a win. For the record, my empty seat at the Rock Wednesday is due to an illness......... I have not yet thrown in the towel.... I am still too busy picking up the towels thrown by our players.

Illness or "general soreness?" ;)

Get well soon.

You’re right. It’s all how we respond. Wednesday could be interesting if X has to fly in midday, get off the plane and just play. Very doable just not the normal routine for any team.

Despite being 2-1 in the last 3 we have not played well. If anyone has ever put a positive spin on a swoon, you just did. Well done.
I think all one can go by is the team has not played well the past two games, what’s worse, have looked sluggish despite having an 8-day break and being deep in the NCAA Tournament hunt. You’d think they’d be super jacked to go considering most of them are Seniors. But it happens, IDK why. We’ve had teams with Seniors look indifferent in the past. IDK. But the fact that the coach is saying they’re checking out of practice and prep at this stage is bizarre to me.

Georgetown was allowed to hang around and I thought was more physical than Seton Hall (see offensive rebounds), which was a red flag. Had the Hoyas stopped uncharacteristically bombing 3’s they could’ve won. They nearly did despite the 40 attempts. Then yesterday’s fiasco.

What’s a swoon and what’s a collapse, time will tell. We’ve seen teams with this sluggish look that struggle to put teams away they’re better then, get blown out, and it’s all downhill. We will find out soon. Xavier is no joke and they’ve hammered us the past two games, 3-0 against Seton Hall since Holloway took over.

I think all one can go by is the team has not played well the past two games, what’s worse, have looked sluggish despite having an 8-day break and being deep in the NCAA Tournament hunt. You’d think they’d be super jacked to go considering most of them are Seniors. But it happens, IDK why. We’ve had teams with Seniors look indifferent in the past. IDK. But the fact that the coach is saying they’re checking out of practice and prep at this stage is bizarre to me.
The bizarre thing for me is this is happening in the age of NIL. Everyone thinks oh it's NIL era players run the team. Lets assume our starters who can come back want to transfer, what's the going rate for a player who doesn't want to practice or prepare for games? Does anyone think the next team is going to say he took off at Seton Hall, he won't take off for us? Literally if you want to command more money, show up, kick ass, and even demand it after the year. If you think you're going to take the rest of the year off, command big money and get it, that seems like a dream world to me.

Georgetown was allowed to hang around and I thought was more physical than Seton Hall (see offensive rebounds), which was a red flag. Had the Hoyas stopped uncharacteristically bombing 3’s they could’ve won. They nearly did despite the 40 attempts. Then yesterday’s fiasco.

What’s a swoon and what’s a collapse, time will tell. We’ve seen teams with this sluggish look that struggle to put teams away they’re better then, get blown out, and it’s all downhill. We will find out soon. Xavier is no joke and they’ve hammered us the past two games, 3-0 against Seton Hall since Holloway took over.
Sean Miller has a bench and coaches on the sidelines with much more detail than "get your hands up." I love Sha, but more timeouts could be warranted as well as some instruction to help stop some of these runs by opponents and to jumpstart our stalled offense.

They also have Olivari who went for 40 in a recent game. An elite shooter - we better have a better game plan for this one.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
Games like Sunday happen to teams like us at least a couple of times a year. Look at Villanova, St. John's, Providence, Xavier and Butler. They've all had at least one total no-show. Hell, Kansas took a 29-point loss to Texas Tech on Monday night. Some might say our win over UConn was that game for them.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be cause for concern -- you never want to see a game like Sunday -- but at this point the response is more important. Come out Wednesday and have a strong game. You don't have to win by 30, just play strong defense, rebound and make shots. Sunday has to be put in the rear view mirror.

We're right where we thought we'd be a week ago even if the path there wasn't quite the way it was envisioned.

Games like Sunday happen to teams like us at least a couple of times a year. Look at Villanova, St. John's, Providence, Xavier and Butler. They've all had at least one total no-show. Hell, Kansas took a 29-point loss to Texas Tech on Monday night. Some might say our win over UConn was that game for them.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be cause for concern -- you never want to see a game like Sunday -- but at this point the response is more important. Come out Wednesday and have a strong game. You don't have to win by 30, just play strong defense, rebound and make shots. Sunday has to be put in the rear view mirror.

We're right where we thought we'd be a week ago even if the path there wasn't quite the way it was envisioned.
This. It’s a long season and one game does not make a trend. Some big games coming up, so let’s see how they respond.

The bizarre thing for me is this is happening in the age of NIL. Everyone thinks oh it's NIL era players run the team. Lets assume our starters who can come back want to transfer, what's the going rate for a player who doesn't want to practice or prepare for games? Does anyone think the next team is going to say he took off at Seton Hall, he won't take off for us? Literally if you want to command more money, show up, kick ass, and even demand it after the year. If you think you're going to take the rest of the year off, command big money and get it, that seems like a dream world to me.
Contrary to popular belief, not everything is NIL related. Players have been playing well or playing like crap since the inception of the sport. Trying to make everything about NIL is foolish.

Contrary to popular belief, not everything is NIL related. Players have been playing well or playing like crap since the inception of the sport. Trying to make everything about NIL is foolish.
That was not my point. A lot of players today are after money. Well people paying the money aren't going want to pay players who just randomly decide to take days off. So in the NIL era it's really not a good move, if your next move is about getting paid.

It's almost like professional athletes never have an off night. Either that or I've imagined all the garbage performances I've seen out of the Mets, Giants and Nets (and Seton Hall) over 52 years of sports fandom.

It's almost like professional athletes never have an off night. Either that or I've imagined all the garbage performances I've seen out of the Mets, Giants and Nets (and Seton Hall) over 52 years of sports fandom.
I've seen the mets, giants, and nets have off days, one after another, after another for long periods of time. I don't think I've imagined those either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT