ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else see this?

Maybe it only makes sense if he is interested in being an AD with a school with big time hockey which is in his background and given his New England roots?

Or if he wants to run a program in a major conference, with football and make a ton more money it would make sense too. Or for about any reason.

Or if he wants to run a program in a major conference, with football and make a ton more money it would make sense too. Or for about any reason.
He would not make a ton more money. He frankly is making more money than many athletic directors at Power 5 schools.

The last sentence of paragraph 5 says they don't know if he even made the final cut.

When you're a school like SH when you find a really good head coach or an AD who does an outstanding job other schools with deeper pockets are going to come calling and if Pat does leave you thank him for the job he's done and move on to find his replacement.

would be a great career move for him....my hope is we can get another great AD on board ASAP.

No one in athletics is going to be at shu for life. It's just the nature of the beast. However, I would think BC would want an AD with experience running a major football program so I'm not sure Lyons is their man.

Reactions: garyshu71
Whether he gets hired or not this is very good press for Pat Lyons. And Pat is a star that we have been lucky to have at SHU. Hope he stays for a few more years but I will be the first to wish him luck if he takes a new job. He has been the best AD at SHU possibly ever but for sure in a very long time.

Reactions: ShuVol and Halldan1
Honestly, is BC a better job than SHU right now? I mean, they are in a loaded basketball conference with established top tier programs. A guy like Willard would have a very difficult time turning that program around and the pressure would be intense, and I'm not so sure the pay will make up for that.

Whether he gets hired or not this is very good press for Pat Lyons. And Pat is a star that we have been lucky to have at SHU. Hope he stays for a few more years but I will be the first to wish him luck if he takes a new job. He has been the best AD at SHU possibly ever but for sure in a very long time.

While Lyons has been the best AD in a very long time is true, but look at the competition. He replaced Quinlan who should have never been an AD anywhere. And before Quinlan was Fogelson who never did anything. Keating hired Blaney so that ruined him. Thus, while Lyons has done a good job here, we have been saddled with bad AD's at Seton Hall for far too long.

If Lyons is offered, have to think he's gone. ACC + Football School will mean high 6 figures at minimum. Only thing that may give him trepidation is the reputation of Father Leahy as President. In any case Lyons won't be at SH very long...if not BC, someone is going to snatch him up. Hope he stays as long as possible and PRAY we get a quality new President who makes another good hire for the next AD.

The SH salary for its AD is very competitive with his peers in the BE. What Lyons has to factor in is that he has a lifetime job at SH if he wants it whereas if he doesn't turn BC around in FB and BB ( which may be impossible ) he could find himself looking for another job .

If you really think that call anyone, and I mean anyone at the Hall who in some way works for him or has knowledge of people that do.

They would laugh you right off this board.

If you really think that call anyone, and I mean anyone at the Hall who in some way works for him or has knowledge of people that do.

They would laugh you right off this board.

You all need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

I hope Pat stays. But, if he moves on, I will wish him well and be thankful for his time at the Hall.

I hope we hit another home run for AD if he moves on.

You all need to brush up on your reading comprehension.
I'm sorry. My mistake. My reading comprehension is clearly lacking because I did not realize your words below were meant as a compliment.

"SHU made Pat Lyons. Not the other way around."

When you're a school like SH when you find a really good head coach or an AD who does an outstanding job other schools with deeper pockets are going to come calling and if Pat does leave you thank him for the job he's done and move on to find his replacement.
I hate this type of thinking that Seton Hall should grateful for whatever scraps we get and that if someone is good instead of fighting to keep them and stepping up our game we should just wish them well and let them go and pray that mediocrity will be the ceiling with the next person we hire! WTF!? Where is your pride!? There is absolutely no reason in the world that Seton Hall can't consistently be among the best of the best! Just think how much alumni giving would go up if effort was made instead of just cruising along with status quo!

I'm not worried about Pat taking Coach Willard. He has some huge recruits potentially coming and needs to have some sustained success if he ever wants to leave. And we have Shaheen in waiting who I believe is getting closer and closer to being ready. It's Pat I don't want to lose. Our AD history has not been good and our sports programs are doing better than ever academically, fundraising is very positive and we are starting to see success with our money sports. We can attract another good candidate but I'd love to sustain our momentum. And finding a new Pres is huge too. I'd hate to see SHU lose Gabe and Pat within a two month period.

Ever. By a mile.

I'm not worried about Pat taking Coach Willard. He has some huge recruits potentially coming and needs to have some sustained success if he ever wants to leave. And we have Shaheen in waiting who I believe is getting closer and closer to being ready. It's Pat I don't want to lose. Our AD history has not been good and our sports programs are doing better than ever academically, fundraising is very positive and we are starting to see success with our money sports. We can attract another good candidate but I'd love to sustain our momentum. And finding a new Pres is huge too. I'd hate to see SHU lose Gabe and Pat within a two month period.

I hate this talk of holding on to a coach. I get Amaker left and I suspect regrets it. The tide has turned for the Big East and these coaches are being smarter about not making moves.

Cooley turned down interest from Georgetown AS DID APPARENTLY MOST EVERY OTHER COACH

Mack turned down interest from Indiana

Willard apparently turned down interest.

Even lower levels it is happening

King Rice stayed put

There are big money jobs that are getting little interest. I'm hoping Willard and his family are settled and happy in a great area of the country. When I hear Willard speak about the Big East, particularly around BET time, you can tell how happy he is to be part of it. I hope this is a destination for Coach.

Reactions: Section112
I think Lyons is in BC's final 3.

If he leaves, he will possibly miss a great opportunity to be the athletic director for a basketball program that makes a very deep NCAA run. The project of turning a moribund basketball program into an elite team is about to reach its crescendo. Lyons would do more for his career to stay.

I certainly believe he can be replaced with another very good athletic director. But I like the fact that he and Willard have a good rapport.

What factor you have to consider when you judge AD's is the support they get from the school's administration and in allocating the financial resources necessary for the AD to implement his strategic plan on how their athletic programs can succeed.

I think it is not unfair to say that Pat had the complete support of Gabe and the BOR and that provided him with the financial resources to accomplish his plan to bring SH back to athletic success, certainly something his predecessors did not have. In point of fact the hiring of previous AD's reflected the disinterest in athletics that previous administrations demonstrated.

Certainly Pat has had more success in improving SH athletics and in getting substantially more financial support to allow him to implement his plans for athletic success.

Last edited:
Biggest thing that Lyons will want to know is what the size of the Budget he has to deal with to make Football and Basketball hires. BC has a significant endowment fund, so it's just a question as to how much the school wants to invest in their Athletics programs. Based on their last several years, and the fact that their endowment and school enrollment is still strong; not sure if they really want to pay too much.

If he's foolish enough to go to a dead end school like BC where there is almost zero chance for success in bball & football just so he can make even more $ (as if he isn't rich for the rest of his life on SHU's salary), then don't let the door hit ya.

Reactions: Flnj86
President replacement far more important. I'm not sure folks understand how Gabe's vision of all around excellence got the athletic department to a higher level.

President replacement far more important. I'm not sure folks understand how Gabe's vision of all around excellence got the athletic department to a higher level.
Gabe's vision of all around excellence got EVERYTHING at Seton Hall to a higher level! We need someone with that same vision to continue Gabe's work and take us even higher! We cannot go backwards! The Board of Regents can't mess this up!

Reactions: garyshu71
Gabe's vision of all around excellence got EVERYTHING at Seton Hall to a higher level! We need someone with that same vision to continue Gabe's work and take us even higher! We cannot go backwards! The Board of Regents can't mess this up!

The key question in finding Gabe's replacement that has to be answered first is whether our new Archbishop
wants a member of the clergy in that position or whether he would agree to another lay person in that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT