ADVERTISEMENT

Changes with Medical School

While the medical school may be named Hackensack Meridian Health Medical School I would hope that there will be language that says something to the effect of “ in association or associated with Seton Hall University “ in any public dissemination identifying the medical school.

For those that dont know their were many issues with launching this medical school. Many "In the know" stated if things went the wrong way "it would cripple seton hall"

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
While the medical school may be named Hackensack Meridian Health Medical School I would hope that there will be language that says something to the effect of “ in association or associated with Seton Hall University “ in any public dissemination identifying the medical school.

The shift in responsibilities is reflected in the institution's name, which is now the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University. When the school won preliminary accreditation in February, the school was called Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine.

The shift in responsibilities is reflected in the institution's name, which is now the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University. When the school won preliminary accreditation in February, the school was called Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine.
We used the Angels baseball team as a naming guideline...

People suggest that SHU is thinking small by not controlling the med school should be charitably described as ignorant. There are only 4 Catholic colleges with Medical Schools, BC and ND do not have medical schools. Would you feel good if SHU went bankrupt but had a medical school or will you write a check for tens of millions?

It is laughable that people are so quick to criticize alma mater with little facts.

So does seton hall have a medical school anymore - yes or no?

At this point I would say kind of, but would seem since HUMC is footing the complete bill they will have control over decision making, also based on what others have said and reading the article I would think it is likely that over some period of time SHU is completely out of medical school business, but remains affiliated in some way.

You are 100% right in saying that it takes hard work and a desire to change to actually change things. But if from a financial perspective, a venture doesn't make any sense at all, why be in a rush to change the status quo? Should the University be in a rush to spend tens of millions of dollars just to give people the perception that they are working hard?
Here's a thought, instead of going the lazy route like you suggest how about instead of giving people the perception that they are working hard you actually work hard? Then the ten of millions of dollars are not only well spent but should see a great return on investment as well.

Why are you people afraid of success and hard work!?

Like most dreams, Gabe’s was not affordable. This outcome is a homerun for SHU. We get virtually all the benefits including up to 25% of the students will be Pirates.
Care to spell out these benefits because it seems like all of the good ones have been taken off the table. Are these medical students going to be Seton Hall alumni? Will we see a great increase in research and research grants which bring in much needed funding?

I think the timing of Gabe's departure hurt the medical school because everyone left behind is interim which makes it hard to plan long term. Gabe was special, he not only had the dream but the desire to get things done. He wasn't afraid to take a chance and he wasn't afraid of success. Hopefully the new President will be someone in Gabe's mold.

Reactions: deheremike
Ever see this quote? "Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid" Seems the medical school is the ability to climb the tree but the only ones being allowed to try and climb that tree on the Seton Hall side are the fish. Sad.

Hey pal. 53 years of annual giving . I mentor 9 undergrads and have served on Two SHU Boards. I spend 2 full days a month at the University with my mentees.

And you do what?

There is no lack of hard work and desire for success in the Advancement Office now.

But tell me your specific plans and concrete ideas on how to bring in more money and I'll pass them along.

And also be specific about what "other schools do" Maybe we can steal a page from their playbook.

You should also visit the campus and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
You can stick the 'pal' crap. I am a member of the Hazard Zet Forward Society, if you have donated as long as I have you should know what that means. I also volunteer as an alum and am frequently on campus for events.

Don't the advancement people network with other major colleges and universities to learn best practices and get fundraising ideas? It's not only advancement that needs to step up. You need to instil pride and a sense of giving back from the first day a prospective student steps on campus and it needs to continue until the day they die. Look at schools with large endowments, successful athletic programs and engaged alumni. All you need to do is visit their websites and you should get plenty of ideas.

Maybe the medical school is what pushed Gabe out of town. Maybe the decision to leave wasn't entirely his.

Ever see this quote? "Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid" Seems the medical school is the ability to climb the tree but the only ones being allowed to try and climb that tree on the Seton Hall side are the fish. Sad.

This entire thread is fascinating on multiple levels.

Also, I am not a genius. What does quote mean?

Reactions: Pirate6711
Here's a thought, instead of going the lazy route like you suggest how about instead of giving people the perception that they are working hard you actually work hard? Then the ten of millions of dollars are not only well spent but should see a great return on investment as well.

Why are you people afraid of success and hard work!?
Your logic assumes that hard work automatically results in great success (or a great return on investment). It doesn't. A deeper look at the figures involved here give a pretty clear picture that the great return on investment that you speak of seems unlikely. Folks can work as hard as possible and still result in pouring in tens of millions of dollars that never yield a return.

Care to spell out these benefits because it seems like all of the good ones have been taken off the table. Are these medical students going to be Seton Hall alumni? Will we see a great increase in research and research grants which bring in much needed funding?

I think the timing of Gabe's departure hurt the medical school because everyone left behind is interim which makes it hard to plan long term. Gabe was special, he not only had the dream but the desire to get things done. He wasn't afraid to take a chance and he wasn't afraid of success. Hopefully the new President will be someone in Gabe's mold.
Benefits still in the table include shu grads occupying at least 25% of each incoming med school class, dual degree programs which should raise the academic profile of the undergraduate population, newer/larger/better lab facilities for the nursing and health/medicals sciences program. I am certainly not saying that this situation is ideal bc it isn't but I feel better about the financial health of the university now that we are not on the hook for the tens of millions of dollars in losses (if not more) that this venture will generate.

Here’s what I have trouble getting my head around . There are a number of highly successful members of the Board of Regents who hold or have held executive positions in the business world including several in the investment industry and thus they would have the ability and experience to understand what information they would need before any approval of this joint venture moved forward. I can’t fathom that there weren’t detailed financial projections prepared for the B O R when Gabe first broached the idea of this joint venture with Meridan. Those financial projections should have disclosed what SH’s financial contributions would be over a specified time horizon and whether SH had the ability to meet those obligations. To come to the conclusion that it’s couldn’t meet its financial burden at the 11th hour is not only disappointing but troublesome. However I truly believe that recognizing that it was not fiscally responsible to continue as the original plan called for was a prudent decision and one which will ultimately inure to SH’s benefit in the long term.

I think the $2 million salary at an institution not controlled by a diocese played a big part.
Is that really what he is making there? Seems to be double what the previous president was making.

Is that really what he is making there? Seems to be double what the previous president was making.
I think he was making about 700 k here. He left to be closer to his daughter and the DePaul money of a million plus made it a perfect fit.

Gabe was a very strong marketing guy who had big dreams for us. I saw the sketches of the proposed new student center- looked like Presidents' Hall. But we couldn't d do it because of money and logistics. ( have to rip current one down, would take 18 months plus to build the new one- no place for students in the interim)

He wanted to buy MaryLawn property in South Orange- town stopped it. And now the med school engagement is less than hoped for.

Some of Gabe's dreams didn't make it but at least he took the shot. And was thinking big.
And except for Alumni Giving- an embarrassment- we are in the best shape in history on every other measure. .

Gabe understood one thing as well as anyone in the field of higher education and that is that you can't stand still and you have to keep growing and stay up to date on what attracts students to your school and that includes your campus infrastructure and the school's reputation .

Imo, the smartest thng shu did was to offer the better students the same tuition as ru. Don't know who did that, but very smart. Planning a beautiful student center that makes no logistics sense, a med school we can't afford...hmmmm

Reactions: Pirate6711
Imo, the smartest thng shu did was to offer the better students the same tuition as ru. Don't know who did that, but very smart. Planning a beautiful student center that makes no logistics sense, a med school we can't afford...hmmmm
The student center could have been done, but it just would have been very expensive and a year of temporary buildings and services scattered across places like dorm common areas and the rec center. Where Bethany Hall was built was going to be the location of the biggest temporary building and it would have eventually been turned into the permanent building that is there now. The plans were great, but just couldn't be pulled off financially and logistically.

Amen
Gabe understood one thing as well as anyone in the field of higher education and that is that you can't stand still and you have to keep growing and stay up to date on what attracts students to your school and that includes your campus infrastructure and the school's reputation .

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
The student center could have been done, but it just would have been very expensive and a year of temporary buildings and services scattered across places like dorm common areas and the rec center. Where Bethany Hall was built was going to be the location of the biggest temporary building and it would have eventually been turned into the permanent building that is there now. The plans were great, but just couldn't be pulled off financially and logistically.
Tx for the clear and detailed explanation.

It could be built, but we couldn't afford it and had no student center for 18 months, sorta like the annual thread about us,starting a major fb program ... or the million dollar add on to my house.

Hopefully the new president will have that same sort of vision otherwise we are screwed. Seems there are too many at Seton Hall happy with status quo which is disappointing.

Gabe was a dreamer but raised no money as President. How smart does one need to be to ask an architect to design a fancy building? One is smart if he has the idea and raises the money. He is a dreamer bc he proposed a medical that SHU could not afford? why didn't he raise money so we could afford it? He never addressed the school's most pressing issue, fundraising, and yet some view him as a savior. He was solid but nothing special. SHU s national ranking is largely unchanged from his start so he was hardly transformational.

Our national ranking was going up every year and then dropped this year after Gabe left. I had also heard that there was a capital campaign starting a 'quiet phase', actually heard that for a few years from different people. No idea if that is true or not. Also, if the powers that be approved Gabe going ahead with the medical school but never asked and never planned for the funding or fundraising for such a venture then how stupid are they? You give a guy the go ahead to start a medical school and don't ask or plan for how it will be paid for?

Sadly, there seem to be too many in power at Seton Hall who are afraid of success and happy with status quo. Not the way to move ahead! Hopefully whoever the new president is goes against this line of thinking.

I still haven't seen an answer here or anywhere else to my question, will the graduates of the medical school be considered Seton Hall alumni or not? So far the only 'benefit' seems to be 25% of the seats will be filled by Seton Hall graduates. Sorry, but it seems that all we are getting is an alumni club at someone else's school. That sucks and is beyond disappointing.

Here’s what I have trouble getting my head around . There are a number of highly successful members of the Board of Regents who hold or have held executive positions in the business world including several in the investment industry and thus they would have the ability and experience to understand what information they would need before any approval of this joint venture moved forward. I can’t fathom that there weren’t detailed financial projections prepared for the B O R when Gabe first broached the idea of this joint venture with Meridan. Those financial projections should have disclosed what SH’s financial contributions would be over a specified time horizon and whether SH had the ability to meet those obligations. To come to the conclusion that it’s couldn’t meet its financial burden at the 11th hour is not only disappointing but troublesome. However I truly believe that recognizing that it was not fiscally responsible to continue as the original plan called for was a prudent decision and one which will ultimately inure to SH’s benefit in the long term.

For an initiative this large they better have brought on a consultant to advise them.
To have not done so is bad governance

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Listening to these plans was exciting at the moment, but driving back to Pennsylvania it was hard to imagine where all the money would come from for two very large projects going on at the same time. The opportunity to be involved with a med school had to be pursued no matter what. The new building not so much. The reality of not being a wealthy school is sometimes very hard to swallow. And a real challenge for Mary to be put into and keep things straight.

She's doing a heck of a job.

Listening to these plans was exciting at the moment, but driving back to Pennsylvania it was hard to imagine where all the money would come from for two very large projects going on at the same time. The opportunity to be involved with a med school had to be pursued no matter what. The new building not so much. The reality of not being a wealthy school is sometimes very hard to swallow. And a real challenge for Mary to be put into and keep things straight.

She's doing a heck of a job.
Not being a wealthy school comes down to fundraising! You need to get the right people in place to do this and we do not currently have those people. How this isn't painfully obvious to everyone is beyond astounding!

Our national ranking was going up every year and then dropped this year after Gabe left. I had also heard that there was a capital campaign starting a 'quiet phase', actually heard that for a few years from different people. No idea if that is true or not. Also, if the powers that be approved Gabe going ahead with the medical school but never asked and never planned for the funding or fundraising for such a venture then how stupid are they? You give a guy the go ahead to start a medical school and don't ask or plan for how it will be paid for?

Sadly, there seem to be too many in power at Seton Hall who are afraid of success and happy with status quo. Not the way to move ahead! Hopefully whoever the new president is goes against this line of thinking.

I still haven't seen an answer here or anywhere else to my question, will the graduates of the medical school be considered Seton Hall alumni or not? So far the only 'benefit' seems to be 25% of the seats will be filled by Seton Hall graduates. Sorry, but it seems that all we are getting is an alumni club at someone else's school. That sucks and is beyond disappointing.

On the one hand, it was the wrong decision for the powers that be to approve a medical school without a clear path for paying for it but on the other hand being happy with the status quo is not the way to move ahead.

Criticism is guaranteed no matter which path is chosen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT