ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia opening up

Under a million deaths is a success which we accomplished because we shut down to defeat Trump?

Again... these shutdowns had nothing to do with Trump until Trump made them about Trump.
He gambled on his messaging and got it wrong.

Had he tried to unify the country on a message of defeating the virus, he would have won reelection.

Nice dodge, please explain why King Andrew would like to open up during a so-called "surge."

Well, well, well. Look what's happening. Cuomo advocates for what I and others have been saying for months.

The shutdowns did the job they wanted: tanked the economy in order to get Trump voted out. Now we can re-open!

And what, thank you Europe, UK and so many other economies for tanking and doing their part? Or is this just realization, globally, that total shut downs are just too far?

There was no total shut down pre-election from the fall, for what it’s worth.

Reactions: Merge
And what, thank you Europe, UK and so many other economies for tanking and doing their part? Or is this just realization, globally, that total shut downs are just too far?

There was no total shut down pre-election from the fall, for what it’s worth.

All the damage they needed to do was done in the spring. It has been suppressed economic activity since then.

Nice dodge, please explain why King Andrew would like to open up during a so-called "surge."

Because this is a state of the state political speech.

Here is Cuomo back in April 2020.
"Everyone is very anxious to get out of the house, get back to work, get the economy moving. Everyone agrees with that. What the art form is going to be here is doing that smartly and doing that productively and doing that in a coordinated way"

I think it's fair to say there is a long line of politicians, including Trump, Cuomo, and others who politicized the pandemic. Shameful.

Murphy, Newsom, Whitmer, Wolf, Noem, Pritzker, etc.

Tuscaloosa is opening up!

Roll Tide Roll!

Well, certainly not ideal in a state that is 2nd in Covid hospitalizations as a percentage of their population and approaching full capacity... but the crowd should be mostly younger people who will be fine. Hope they quarantine for a bit.

Terrific news. Out of 330 million people, we have done quite well as a country.

That's an interesting take.
We are 11th in the world in most Covid deaths per capita (which includes 3 countries with populations about the size of a small NJ town) That's quite well?

What would mean we did poorly?

Reactions: SHUSA
We are 11th in the world in most Covid deaths per capita (which includes 3 countries with populations about the size of a small NJ town) That's quite well?

We have a lot of old people and a lot of out of shape people. Just the way it is.

Reactions: Hallsome
I guess the stuff people send me from twitter isn't always true. oh well.

But considering how much people here talk about being manipulated by the media, and how much we have discussed Covid... isn't that something you should want to verify before posting it as being true?

Reactions: SHUSA

I wouldn't phrase this as a quite well or did poorly discussion. I see four things that impacted the fatality rate/some that could have been addressed faster, some that need to be addressed.

1-Border securing - Locked down our borders right at the start of the pandemic, even lock down some interstate travel initially. This would have slowed the spread and bought us time (in addition to reducing the fatality rate).
2-Healthly Lifestyle - We are an unhealthy population that has contributed to a good percentage of the death (given that comorbidities that are most deadly...obesity, diabetes, COPD, etc....we lead the league. Nothing that could have been done at the start to materially effect fatalities, but if this isn't a wake-up call for the next pandemic, I can't help you. Should be a #1 priority now and going forward.
3-Nursing Homes - Two things had an impact on another large segment of fatalities. One, the way we warehouse the elderly, and two, the lack of attention they got at the start. Should have prioritized PPE to nursing homes and LTC facilities. And add the way some states (Mr. Nipple rings for one) totally mishandled sending hospitalized patients back to nursing homes.
4- Better Intel - We were flying blind early in the pandemic (Thank you China and WHO), not knowing the extent of what we were dealing, potential treatments, etc. Putting patients on ventilators too quickly was deadly and it shouldn't have ever happened.

Reactions: SPK145 and SHUSA
I wouldn't phrase this as a quite well or did poorly discussion. I see four things that impacted the fatality rate/some that could have been addressed faster, some that need to be addressed.

1-Border securing - Locked down our borders right at the start of the pandemic, even lock down some interstate travel initially. This would have slowed the spread and bought us time (in addition to reducing the fatality rate).
2-Healthly Lifestyle - We are an unhealthy population that has contributed to a good percentage of the death (given that comorbidities that are most deadly...obesity, diabetes, COPD, etc....we lead the league. Nothing that could have been done at the start to materially effect fatalities, but if this isn't a wake-up call for the next pandemic, I can't help you. Should be a #1 priority now and going forward.
3-Nursing Homes - Two things had an impact on another large segment of fatalities. One, the way we warehouse the elderly, and two, the lack of attention they got at the start. Should have prioritized PPE to nursing homes and LTC facilities. And add the way some states (Mr. Nipple rings for one) totally mishandled sending hospitalized patients back to nursing homes.
4- Better Intel - We were flying blind early in the pandemic (Thank you China and WHO), not knowing the extent of what we were dealing, potential treatments, etc. Putting patients on ventilators too quickly was deadly and it shouldn't have ever happened.

I think that is all fair and I don't really disagree with any of that. I think there should be a couple bullets as well regarding our messaging to the public in doubting the virus, doubting masks, being anti-testing and holding large rallies for example.

I wouldn't characterize our results as horrendous. Just seems like a stretch to me to say we handled it quite well. It's difficult to get it 100% correct, but I do think we could have (and should have) done better in a lot of aspects.

I think that is all fair and I don't really disagree with any of that. I think there should be a couple bullets as well regarding our messaging to the public in doubting the virus, doubting masks, being anti-testing and holding large rallies for example.

I wouldn't characterize our results as horrendous. Just seems like a stretch to me to say we handled it quite well. It's difficult to get it 100% correct, but I do think we could have (and should have) done better in a lot of aspects.
I was trying to hit the high points...those areas that contributed to most of the deaths.

I would agree the pollicization and lack of political leadership was poor. Trump's messaging on masks, the rallies were irresponsible. Looking the other way and letting the BLM protests and riots occur without any mention of the danger was also also irresponsible. How many deaths were contributed by that? Not sure because the protests/riots/rallies were isolated to a handful of cities over the summer and during the rallies when Trump restarted them right before the election.

I was trying to hit the high points...those areas that contributed to most of the deaths.

I would agree the pollicization and lack of political leadership was poor. Trump's messaging on masks, the rallies were irresponsible. Looking the other way and letting the BLM protests and riots occur without any mention of the danger was also also irresponsible. How many deaths were contributed by that? Not sure because the protests/riots/rallies were isolated to a handful of cities over the summer and during the rallies when Trump restarted them right before the election.
Stop being so reasonable. I mean. Could both sides have really acted irresponsibly? Come on...

329,500,000 Americans have not died from this. Go back into your hole. Or should I say hazmat suit.

I'll say this again. When posters try to respond like this. They have no idea what they are talking about and just make themselves looks silly.

329,500,000 Americans have not died from this. Go back into your hole. Or should I say hazmat suit.
Hello. We have lost more American lives to covid than World War 1, World War 2, Korea, and Vietnam combined. Do you understand the significance of that or no?

@Merge Don't you think this is serious?

Please don't insult our war heroes who were drafted into compulsory service at a very young age and didn't make it back by comparing them to often elderly and out of shape victims of a naturally occurring (or so we think?) virus.

Please don't insult our war heroes who were drafted into compulsory service at a very young age and didn't make it back by comparing them to often elderly and out of shape victims of a naturally occurring (or so we think?) virus.

Wow now this is just terrible. You are shaming older people and out of victims. Pure lunacy.

Just facts. This virus affects the elderly and those in poor physical health more than anything else. The good news is many of them DO survive contrary to what the panic peddlers in the media would have you believe. Equating the deaths of those from a virus to the US heroes of war is incredibly insulting to our war dead.

As I said, I'm comfortable with zero deaths. Nobody in their right mind would be comfortable with anyone dying.

Acceptable is different, given the situation that we face because of China's recklessness. This is a war, the politicians say. Well, wars have casualties. I would say something under 100,000 would be acceptable. We will come in well under that according to most models. 100,000 is 0.03% of the US population.

Context

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
The point is why do we have a terrible food pyramid, and nothing for this research? Show people the science and let them make their decision, but we're suppressing the science for some unknowing reason, also known as lobbyists paying off our politicians.

Ugh it was all the food pyramids fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT