ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry C’s Article on SHU vs. Creighton

Is there a way to get around the pay wall to read this?
I don't want to jinx it, but I'm not a subscriber and I've been able to click through to every single SHU piece Carino has written so far this year. I figured Gannet just changed their policy about what's behind the paywall. Sometimes I get stopped, but have been good to go here.

Reactions: shu09
I subscribe now but I always thought they made Jerry's stuff available here cause it got so many clicks.

Thanks, just bad luck on my part. Typical Gannet money grab.

I often change my source when I get locked out. If Safari doesn’t work, I use the app. If that doesn’t work, I’ll use X. Right now, I’m in a really good cycle where no matter where I read his articles, it doesn’t lock me out.

Great take on getting to comfortable. I think that was our biggest issue over last decade. Anytime we were ranked or talked about in the media the team got complacent. I don’t think Sha will allow that with his team.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I use incognito mode in Chrome. With APP it treats every new engagement as the first article towards whatever free monthly limit they have.

They do place some things behind a paywall, even if only temporarily. I seem to remember them doing that with home game stories last year.

Lol $1 for 6 months. Greedy bastards. Not just the players, Jerry’s gotta get paid too.
This is false. That’s for first-time subscribers only. I did this and then cancelled it after 6 months. Then the following season I subscribed again and it hit me for over $10/month. I spoke to customer service and they said there was nothing they could do as it was for first-time subscribers only. I cancelled and they refunded my money. I’m not paying that to read one writer’s articles. It’s a Central Jersey paper and I live in North Jersey. I wish Jerry would branch out so I could subscribe to him directly but alas, he writes for APP which does very little for me.

Love this excerpt.

Can Creighton take a throat-punch on the road, the kind that felled UConn and St. John’s in Newark this season? The Hall tries to steal your lunch money, an apt metaphor for another part of its underdog persona

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
This is false. That’s for first-time subscribers only. I did this and then cancelled it after 6 months. Then the following season I subscribed again and it hit me for over $10/month. I spoke to customer service and they said there was nothing they could do as it was for first-time subscribers only. I cancelled and they refunded my money. I’m not paying that to read one writer’s articles. It’s a Central Jersey paper and I live in North Jersey. I wish Jerry would branch out so I could subscribe to him directly but alas, he writes for APP which does very little for me.

Exactly, I don't read that paper/website other than the occasional article from Carino about SH basketball. Not going to give them my information, sign up, and pay for something I don't need. If that causes me to miss Carino articles, so be it.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
Exactly, I don't read that paper/website other than the occasional article from Carino about SH basketball. Not going to give them my information, sign up, and pay for something I don't need. If that causes me to miss Carino articles, so be it.
And good luck trying to cancel. They don’t make it easy.

It’s a business charging money for their product/service. Not exactly an unheard of practice.

It's the principle. It was offered for free over the web for many years (largely due to revenue via advertising). Now they're changing people directly trying to make even more money. Doesn't sit right with me.

Good read and the right mindset to have! Let’s get these next 2 at home!

Reactions: Hall Is Life
It's the principle. It was offered for free over the web for many years (largely due to revenue via advertising). Now they're changing people directly trying to make even more money. Doesn't sit right with me.
Before it was free you had to pay for it via a subscription to the print edition or buying a paper at the newsstand. Its the same approach, just delivered in a different medium.

Before it was free you had to pay for it via a subscription to the print edition or buying a paper at the newsstand. Its the same approach, just delivered in a different medium.

Exactly. they always offered their stories free online until recently. Now they try to get people to pay for them or sign up for an account everywhere you look.

Exactly. they always offered their stories free online until recently. Now they try to get people to pay for them or sign up for an account everywhere you look.
Maybe because they are bleeding dollars, no one pays for print anymore and it’s collect or fail?

For many years, my brother worked for the Gannett newspapers here in Westchester. I would usually buy the Daily News in the city on my way to work to get the late edition and he would drop off other papers at my house. At that time, I read the News, Post and Reporter Dispatch/Journal News regularly.

Now, I don't remember the last time I bought a newspaper.

Maybe because they are bleeding dollars, no one pays for print anymore and it’s collect or fail?
That's it in a nutshell. Just like with Sports Illustrated in the other thread.

I once worked for a weekly magazine. I believe there are down to 18-20 issues a year. They remain successful because they have a lot of information that updates weekly and it's mostly behind a paywall.

It's the economic reality of the current age.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT