ADVERTISEMENT

Jevon Thomas

Correct on Jamar. My job was rebound the ball and find Jamar, and I did it splendidly. I also had a friend punch someone during an intramural basketball game, and he was suspended from playing in intramurals for one year. If it's true Jevon wasn't even playing, it makes even less sense. There were comments on the Trove that "it wasn't as bad as initial reports." I'm not sure how you soften up choking someone and dragging them from the courts over to the glass overlooking the weightroom.

Splendidly. Lol

Dan, you are a wise man.Unfortunate this had to happen when things are going so well. Hope the team comes out with the pedal to the metal and show they can't be distracted from the task at hand.

Dont post much here but from what I have read Jevon came back after they were originally separated and that's when the choke took place. So whether the ref just put his hands up or lightly touched his chest to back him off the court, the original skirmish was settled. Then when Jevon had a chance he re-initiated the conflict by pulling him by the glass and thats when the choking happened. If this was just the initial dustup, I agree with most, simple suspension for a normal intramural happening. But if this 2nd part is correct, then that is premeditation on Jevon's part and totallly uncalled for and expulsion worthy. Just my 2 cents.

And I remember Luther playing intramurals as well. I thought he played with the TKEs and Wally Zebi, didn't he?

Point is we don't know exactly what happened. If the ref simply softly put his hands on Thomas telling him to calm down or something of that sort then Thomas deserves whatever punishment that comes his way.

If the opposite happened and the ref was belligerent in tone and act then Thomas might have had reason for getting physical.

And of course the most likely scenario is somewhere between those two possibilities.

Let the school decide once they accumulate the facts as best they can. For us here to dole out punishment is foolish.

Basically I agree with everything you are saying, however, you do not put your hands on anyone else, soft, hard or in between. If someone is upset they will see it as an act of aggression and the situation will escalate. At that point the other student should have turned, walked away and continue to ref the game.

Aaaaaaaand that's the last time I support pirated. Now I see where all the vitriol comes from. Just thought he was skeptical on Willard like a lot of us.

Savage is a code word just like thug is nowadays. If you use that word when talking about a black kid, people know why you're using it. There's a million other words u can use to describe a problem child who choked someone unnecessarily, but you chose savage...wonder why?

Reactions: HallLine69
Just for shits and giggles I went to urban dictionary to see what they had listed for the word savage. I figured if it was code for something racist it would show up there. Nothing of that sort.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If the ref simply softly put his hands on Thomas telling him to calm down or something of that sort then Thomas deserves whatever punishment that comes his way.

I think it's more likely than not, that this is exactly what happened, but let's be real with ourselves, if JT wasn't a basketball player he would have been expelled already. When I was a student I knew a couple people who were expelled for fighting.

EDIT
Actually come to think of it, during my freshman orientation when discussing the schools no fighting policy they (some deans) actually played out this exact scenario in a corny role playing skit. Basically the situation/message was that if you are playing bball in the rec center and someone commits a hard foul on you, and you retaliate by punching the guy you would be expelled. No questions.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaand that's the last time I support pirated. Now I see where all the vitriol comes from. Just thought he was skeptical on Willard like a lot of us.

Savage is a code word just like thug is nowadays. If you use that word when talking about a black kid, people know why you're using it. There's a million other words u can use to describe a problem child who choked someone unnecessarily, but you chose savage...wonder why?

That's BS. I'm in my early 30's and I use that word all the time to describe people doing crazy stuff, outlandish stuff or not acting appropriate. Maybe it's a generational issue for you? I use that term for anyone I feel is acting like that and I don't even think about what color they are when I do so. Many of my colleagues do, as do all of my friends. We're a wide variety of races and cultures.

You're entitled to your opinion on anything you want, but words don't mean anything other than the intent they are given by the people saying them. Stop generalizing, because the day will come when I use that word in this forum, and I don't want to hear this racist nonsense.

Come to a high school In an inner city. Everything according to 15-20 year olds today is "savage".

Guys, let's get off this race garbage. We have no idea what really happened, and that includes Pirated. Did Jevon do something bad and will be disciplined for it, yeah and he should. Let this take it's course and the proper actions will take place.

We can talk about the word savage all day, but I would prefer to talk about this team and a big ass game tonight versus Georgetown, who had produced, Mourning, Ewing, Iverson, and the great Victor Page

Brooklyn, Much of your post was thought-provoking. ( But I think your equating the word savage with racism is silly.) What you said about mentoring Jevon and being merciful to him, trying to do what Mother Seton would do resonated with me. I am all about trying to heal people, even the most troubled. The problem is what has being going on with this team for the past seven or so years. We have had players that were deeply troubled and received a tremendous amount of support, but did not respond positively, instead causing confusion, embarrassment to the team and university, harm to other students, harm to themselves, draining of the coaching staff and other resources, ruination of the team...
Sometimes helping a troubled young person takes decades rather than years and more resources than a university or sports program can provide. Discerning when to go out on a ledge and when to refer a person out for appropriate help elsewhere is difficult. But hanging onto a person who is not ready to change and grow is co-dependent and foolish. Jevon had a lot of problems at KSU, at least one previous altercation at SHU, and now this. When do you start to take into account the good of this team? Most, if not all, of the kids on our team come from disadvantaged backgrounds. They are trying to make something of themselves and succeed on the court and in the classroom. But Jevon could potentially do great harm to those efforts.

Is this Thomas' first brush like this???????????????

Savage is not racist.

This won't affect the team at all, they're tougher than that.

Jevon's gone. There can't be any other outcome at this point. I think IW knows he needs 1 more year. Bring on a full court press on Thompson and pick up a great PG for 2017.
Go Pirates!

Definition of Irony: Solo acting as the expert on proper word usage...

Reactions: Burnsly
The use of the "S" word is hereby verboten! PC (not the college) run amok. Curious it was started by a long time (14 posts) poster. Lord I love this board.

Not everything has to be so black and white.

In some eras and contexts, savage has been used as a slur - for example, as mentioned earlier, when used to refer to Native Americans - it also is a favorite of those who wish black people would "go back to Africa"

On the other hand, today this usage is thankfully predominantly something from a bygone era, and I don't believe usually a bigoted code word. So I do not presume anyone to be using it as such unless given further reason to believe otherwise.

Reactions: SHUSource
Savage? One legendary one. RIP.

pg2_e_savage_576.jpg

Is this Thomas' first brush like this???????????????

Savage is not racist.

This won't affect the team at all, they're tougher than that.
Savage can certainly be used in a racist manner. I do not think that was the posters intent.

Let the process continue; not making any rash judgements; gathering all the facts, resulting in a fact-based decision.

Getting back to this evening's contest, this team is mentally strong and focused on what has to be done tonight.

Late Bulletin!!! My sources, who wish to remain anonymous, are telling me that the investigation is now centering on the guy in the picture above sitting in the chair, wearing a wearing blue shirt with his arms crossed! More to follow.

Last edited:

Late Bulletin!!! My sources, who wish to remain anooyomus, are telling me that the investigation is now centering on the guy in the picture above sitting in the chair, wearing a wearing blue shirt with his arms crossed! More to follow.
Yeah, that guy is nothing but trouble, Paul. Good call!

Agree with this. That said, Jevon should not get the same deference that another kid should who doesn't have Jevon's baggage. For those who have followed Thomas' career - and I have -- there are red flags everywhere. Originally committed to St. John's (as a junior I believe). There were red flags that led to the parting of that relship, and that was a regime that actively pursued and landed both Chris Obekpa and Sheed Jordan - who both had major red flags in high school (which ultimately bore themselves out, setting up the disastrous season they are having). Went to K. State and had issues there as well. Err on the side of doubt with Thomas, regardless of whether we think Whitehead is going pro (which is a distinct possibility). Thomas is a replaceable player and we've had enough bad seeds in the past 10 years to know that where there is smoke there is fire.

Let the process continue; not making any rash judgements; gathering all the facts, resulting in a fact-based decision.

Getting back to this evening's contest, this team is mentally strong and focused on what has to be done tonight.

Reactions: deheremike
Let's calm down a little. Unprovoked? We don't know that. We weren't there.

Above it was noted that the other person put his hands on Thomas first. Maybe the response to that was too strong, maybe not.

Sort of depends on what was said and the physically of the initial hands on act.

Bottom line, the police left the scene with no charges filed. They felt it was best to allow the school to dole out whatever punishment is necessary. That and not rushing to judgement without the facts available is the best way to handle the situation.
Wow Dan, they have you giving the company line already....not surprised.

Reactions: deheremike
A friend of his died this Monday and he is away at the funeral. Maybe we should all get off our high horses and take a breath before we judge a kid like this. This kid has been through a lot and this tragedy probably caused him to be on edge. Maybe counseling is the more humane thing then kicking him to the curb.

Thank you Rimas. I said the same thing on page 1 of this thread. Some issues are deeper than one incident. Other people who know him more than I know if he is a "bad" person or simply had an unfortunate reaction. It's so easy to be judge and jury but perhaps this could serve as a turning point in ones life.

Wow Dan, they have you giving the company line already....not surprised.
So the 'company line' is let all the facts come in a then make a decision?

I threw out three possible scenarios in an above response. Ranging from throw the book at him to giving him a less severe discipline.

The surprise is clearly your lack of reading comprehensive.

Here's what I posted. Care to debate it?

Point is we don't know exactly what happened. If the ref simply softly put his hands on Thomas telling him to calm down or something of that sort then Thomas deserves whatever punishment that comes his way.

If the opposite happened and the ref was belligerent in tone and act then Thomas might have had reason for getting physical.

And of course the most likely scenario is somewhere between those two possibilities.

Let the school decide once they accumulate the facts as best they can. For us here to dole out punishment is foolish.

So the 'company line' is let all the facts come in a then make a decision?

I threw out three possible scenarios in an above response. Ranging from throw the book at him to giving him a less severe discipline.

The surprise is clearly your lack of reading comprehensive.

Here's what I posted. Care to debate it?

You say let the facts playout, but then you say the most likely scenario. How do you know its the likely scenario when the "facts arent out".

He put his hands around the neck of a SHU employee, that is a fact. He should never be allowed to step foot on campus again.

Have you all lost your minds? I'm sorry but under no circumstance is it acceptable behavior to choke a university employee.

You say let the facts playout, but then you say the most likely scenario. How do you know its the likely scenario when the "facts arent out".

He put his hands around the neck of a SHU employee, that is a fact. He should never be allowed to step foot on campus again.
I gave the three mostly likely scenarios from one extreme to the other based on the story that came out and from my conversation with someone who spoke to the police officer on campus. But I also was leveled headed enough to note we don't have all the facts so we shouldn't be making the decision.

Don't pick and chose my words to suit your purpose. Debate my comment about letting those WITH all the facts make the decision and not someone on a message board reading a story in a school newspaper.

Have you all lost your minds? I'm sorry but under no circumstance is it acceptable behavior to choke a university employee.
I said he might have had reason for getting physical I didn't give details as to what that entailed.

Clearly he deserves to be punished and he will be. But to what degree will depend on exactly what happened, and again I say you don't know the answer to that and neither do I.

Why is that comment so hard to understand?

Reactions: Pirate6711
I said he might have had reason for getting physical

Dan, this is a serious question, not a flippant one.

In your respected opinion, what "reasons" justify one student choking another?

Are you saying that he might have been "provoked" and therefore it might not be he alone who is deserving of punishment?

Others above said that SHU has a standing zero-tolerance policy on student fights, with expulsion automatic. As I am uninformed, do you know whether this is true? You say to wait and see the "degree" of punishment. Is there any precedent for exceptions to zero-tolerance as far as you know?

Why is it so hard to understand - whatever the referee/university employee said to JT it didn't justify JT choking him.

I'm as much of a diehard SHU fan as anyone but for heavens sake take off the blinders.

Dan, this is a serious question, not a flippant one.

In your respected opinion, what "reasons" justify one student choking another?

Are you merely saying that it might not be he alone who is deserving of punishment?

Others above said that SHU has a standing zero-tolerance policy on student fights, with expulsion automatic. As I am uninformed, do you know whether this is true? Is there any precedent for exceptions as far as you know?
I am not going to get into a list of scenarios re punishment. I could go on forever trying to answer that question.

A fight broke out and punishment is deserved based on what facts come out re those involved.

Regarding individual actions in a fight, nothing is justified. Not a punch, not a kick, not a choke, nothing. Why? Because you shouldn't be fighting in the first place. But we all know in the heat of the moment emotions get raw and we sometimes react in the wrong way. When that happens you have to answer for your actions.

Thomas will. To what degree? As I said above I have no idea.

Reactions: Old_alum
Why is it so hard to understand - whatever the referee/university employee said to JT it didn't justify JT choking him.

I'm as much of a diehard SHU fan as anyone but for heavens sake take off the blinders.
My God, do you have the ability to comprehend or just see what you want to see.

Where did I once say choking is justified?

Tell you what, I'll take my blinders off when you put your reading glasses on.

@Halldan1 I'm not here trying to dissect your posts, but the above (as I read it) implied that "having a reason to get physical" condoned the behavior.

Also, the condescending attitude is not appreciated. Believe it or not, I have the ability to comprehend. I agree with you that JT deserves to be punished. To what degree - we will see.

@Halldan1 I'm not here trying to dissect your posts, but the above (as I read it) implied that "having a reason to get physical" condoned the behavior.

Also, the condescending attitude is not appreciated. Believe it or not, I have the ability to comprehend. I agree with you that JT deserves to be punished. To what degree - we will see.
This is my last response here because right now we're both spitting in the wind.

Getting physical doesn't mean choking a person. It doesn't mean punching or kicking him either. But it does in many minds justify some kind of response. Was that response getting into a fight when the best thing was to walk away? Of course not. But that's where the raw emotions come into play that I mentioned.

Regarding my response to you....not much different than you telling me to take my binders off or asking me if I lost my mind.

Sobo, I'm not saying you are wrong but You are just not getting Dan's point. Dan is proposing various hypothicals as to what may have occurred and different types of punishments for each hypothetical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT