ADVERTISEMENT

Kadary Richmond to Seton Hall!

Of course players need to earn minutes, but my expectation is the guys who will "earn" minutes are the ones we expect, not the ones we haven't seen, plus Richmond and Harris who were no doubt brought here with the promise that they will be starting and getting big minutes at the 1/2.
Broken record. It never seems to happen. Someone always surprises. Molson was going to be a starter. Ike over Gill, TT over Mamu. I honestly hope no one was promised a starting role. There's a lot of "bench guys" I can see earning starting spots.

Before we watch them I would hazard a guess that this roster has top 25 potential, but there's a long way to go.

Without any more additions, and sight unseen I can see the Pirates being an upper tier conference team and to start the season top 30-35, with the potential for much more.
The ceiling just got raised significantly with the Richmond get.

What we don't know is how the rest of our roster shapes up and importantly how the rest of the conference shapes up. Many of the teams in our league will look far different than they do now, between additional transfers or kids who are getting draft feedback returning. We don't know if Gillespie comes back to Nova, which is a monumental roster impacting decision, or if JRE turns pro. We don't know if Champagne comes back to St. John's, and he is going to one of the leading candidates for POY in the league if he does. Mahoney is testing the waters for Creighton, another impact kid. With all the movement, it is impossible to project really anyone at this point. The only thing I'm confident about is that Nova will be the best team in the league because they are Nova (basically).

Broken record. It never seems to happen. Someone always surprises. Molson was going to be a starter. Ike over Gill, TT over Mamu. I honestly hope no one was promised a starting role. There's a lot of "bench guys" I can see earning starting spots.
Whether the word "promise" was used is semantics. You can be sure the expectation sold to both Richmond and Harris is that they are the starting backcourt and getting big minutes. That's what everyone does, and we are no different. Based on performance to date, that is expected frankly. If a kid doesn't play well, of course things can change, but both of those kids are going to have incredibly long leashes. We aren't that special or unique -- if it wasn't crystal clear in these kids minds that they were going to get significant minutes, they wouldn't be here.

I love the pickup of Richmond and Harris but Willard transfers usually take a full year before they are an impact. I know there were a few exceptions but for the most part they contribute in their 2nd year.
With that said I am very happy to welcome them both.
You don’t have to worry about Richmond. There will be no waiting period for him.

Starters

Ike, Rhoden, Weston, Richmond, Harris?

or big: Ike, Samuel, Rhoden, Cale,

im guessing cale is a bench guy. even though he may be good enough to start as a 5th yr senior
Richmond
Harris
Rhoden
Samuel
Ike

high pressure D

Weston and Cale get starter minutes

Need another big....calling Jackson and Ngandu

Long, Conway and Powell will contribute
the bridesmaid persona is actually helping the hall succeed. now every player is looking to transfer rather than making it work at their current spot and i suppose being im the picture with so many guys is working out.

the one missing peice is tournament success. is this the core that does it? its definitely expectations to hear name called in march. there are a ton of new peices.
SHUSA I smell a big coming

You don’t have to worry about Richmond. There will be no waiting period for him.
Agreed. He is going to be given every opportunity and have a long leash. So will Harris. It would have to be a TT-type situation -- where the kid is so obviously flawed and has issues -- for them not to get burn. And from what I saw afar from Richmond he can be an impact player immediately. I don't know enough about Harris and sometimes those kids making a move backup can have a learning curve, but the staff seems pretty confident he'll be able to capably fill the 2.

Potential Top 3 in the BE as the BE will be Nova and UCONN, then everyone else.

While I expect improvement, right now the frontcourt is terrible.
Front court will improve with a body and KW getting a full off season (fingers crossed)

S16 minimum should be our goal

it took nova years of knocking on the door...2 S16s and then more....then a down year is S16....believe!

No shot he promises things

He shoots straight and says if you reach your potential I see you as: .....

That’s how the coaches who last do things

shit Willard didn’t even promise IW a starting spot!!!!

So... Maybe we are reloading? 🤔
Every team reloads but the key is whether you're reloading with quality talent and your reload is superior to your conference peers. We are reloading this year with high caliber talent and if we continue our early success with a big man of the same caliber as our other recruits we should be back in the NCAA's .

No shot he promises things

He shoots straight and says if you reach your potential I see you as: .....

That’s how the coaches who last do things

shit Willard didn’t even promise IW a starting spot!!!!
There is a way to "promise" without outright promising. You set expectations and you craft the narrative you want to sell. "I see you, Kadary, if you fulfill your potential, of playing significant minutes at the PG role". You can't and wouldn't that if you had Paul Scruggs coming back, or a half dozen other PGs in the league. You can when you had our situation. It isn't a "promise" -- i.e., you are guaranteed a starting role -- but there is a way to project that. It's semantics and everyone does it. A kid like Richmond isn't going to play somewhere where he doesn't feel very comfortable that significant minutes are on the table.

Whitehead knew he was coming here and getting big minutes off the bat. We wouldn't have hired his sc&&bag advisor/coach to be our assistant if that was not the case.

Reactions: shupat08
Every team reloads but the key is whether you're reloading with quality talent and your reload is superior to your conference peers. We are reloading this year with high caliber talent and if we continue our early success with a big man of the same caliber as our other recruits we should be back in the NCAA's .
Exactly. Also I tend to think of "re-loading" as what the Alabama's and Clemson's do in football each year. When you are at that level. Most everyone on our level "re-loads", and will be doing so now with the transferitis, but what matters is whether those coming in the door are better than what you already have or what is going out.

There is a way to "promise" without outright promising. You set expectations and you craft the narrative you want to sell. "I see you, Kadary, if you fulfill your potential, of playing significant minutes at the PG role". You can't and wouldn't that if you had Paul Scruggs coming back, or a half dozen other PGs in the league. You can when you had our situation. It isn't a "promise" -- i.e., you are guaranteed a starting role -- but there is a way to project that. It's semantics and everyone does it. A kid like Richmond isn't going to play somewhere where he doesn't feel very comfortable that significant minutes are on the table.

Whitehead knew he was coming here and getting big minutes off the bat. We wouldn't have hired his sc&&bag advisor/coach to be our assistant if that was not the case.
You’re parsing what the promises are...conditional vs uncondition

Danny/ Sanogo=unconditional

that was evident first 10-15 games....worked out well though I’ll say esp if he/team have great yr next

KW didn’t. KW wouldn’t.

You’re parsing what the promises are...conditional vs uncondition

Danny/ Sanogo=unconditional

that was evident first 10-15 games....worked out well though I’ll say esp if he/team have great yr next

KW didn’t. KW wouldn’t.
You are allowing your blue-goggled fandom to cloud reality. Hurley didn't promise Sanogo anything different than what Willard did. We allowed Tiny Morton to infect our campus; you don't think we told Richmond what he wanted to hear when it comes to playing time? Come on. I don't know why folks get some bent out of shape on this, because everyone does it. If it is to claim some more high ground compared to others because it makes you sleep better at night, fine, but I'm not naive enough to know we operate in the real world.

Reactions: Piratz and shupat08
With Cale, Kadray, Ike, Jackson and Weston is this the most four star/top 100 we’ve ever had on a roster?
Maybe. The internal scrimmages will be nice and our players will get better for sure. 247 HS Rankings below.

Top 100 Players out of HS on next year's team:
Obiagu 2017 #63
Weston 2021 #77
Jackson 2019 #85
Richmond 2020 #88
Cale 2017 #92

Not too far off:
Powell 2021 #125
Conway 2021 #144

Diamonds in the rough:
Samuel 2019 #184
Rhoden 2018 #200
Long 2020 #256
Harris 2017 #329
Ngandu 2020 #?

Next Season:
Harris 2022 #143

Possibly One More Big Transfer?:
Matos 2020 #223

Last edited:
Based solely on HS Rankings. The starting 5 would be:

PG Richmond 88
SG Cale 92
SF Weston 77
PF Jackson 85
C Obiagu 63

With Powell, Conway and Samuel being the first off the bench in the rotation.

On paper pretty scary but I don't think it would ever happen. Funny how hardwork and dedication changes how we look at this sort of thing especially for players like Rhoden and Harris (and Mamu last year) from where they were originally ranked at.

Fred Hill told me about 2 years ago that once you get past the top 50 or so he threw these kind of rankings out the window and decided with his own eyes re the ability of players and their fit to the team.

Hill towards the end of his career was no longer the great recruiter he was when he was much younger, but he never lost his eye for talent. He lives basketball and told me at the last Booster Club diner he watches college games from 7PM to the morning games on the west coast 5 nights a week.

Told me then (what a great table with him, JP, and Dave Popkin) that he would like to stay in coaching, but only as a head coach. He didn't see that happening at a D1 school but was hoping for something at the D2 level. To date that hasn't happened.

Hill is financially set so money isn't a factor, the love of the game is.

I watched Kadary play earlier in the year and in the NCAAs. He's really smooth and very talented. He also is very cerebral and seems to have terrific vision on the court. And his size and athleticism are a huge advantage. And defensively he is going to raise the level of how we play too and guess what other players will look better defensively as a result with him as the head of the snake.

We are gonna really like this kid.

Last edited:
For your reading pleasure Syracuse fan thread on Kadary coming to the Hall

Some samples:

• See u in hell Willard
  • Seton Hall wow that’s a huge step down bet Woody goes there as well
  • god i hate seton hall
  • Close to home, out of Acc, and not Uconn. Good enough for me
  • R U KIDDING ME ? HE TRANSFERRED DOWN IN PROGRAM.
  • Unreal. Scratching my head on this one :confused: :confused:
  • And btw there’s no doubt Willard and Seton Hall continue to cheat and tamper.

Last edited:

Some samples:

Coming from a school who has one of the dirtiest coaches in all of BB.

When I spoke to Greg Shemitz of Big East Briefs many years ago we went out to eat and I asked him about the dirtiest coach in the game. His response, Boeheim and it ain't close.

Some samples:

• See u in hell Willard
  • Seton Hall wow that’s a huge step down bet Woody goes there as well
  • god i hate seton hall
  • Close to home, out of Acc, and not Uconn. Good enough for me
  • R U KIDDING ME ? HE TRANSFERRED DOWN IN PROGRAM.
  • Unreal. Scratching my head on this one :confused: :confused:
That was quite an enjoyable read. Must be tough on Cuse fans watching their once-storied program become Buddy Boeheim's AAU team.

Any guesses on how many more years JB will want to coach? There was some talk when his son went there that he would coach his son and then retire.
Although I always root against them, JB IS the face of the school, and it will be sad to see the once storied program battling BC for next to last in the ACC.

KW said put some respect on his name. Everyone complained about not having a PG, now we potentially have 4 in Conway Long Harris and Kadary. Good problem to have. Everyone has all spring/summer to get in the gym and earn your spot. The best players will play.
Keep an eye on transfer portal. Wouldn't be surprised to see Long's name appear. There has been a serious upgrade in talent at the guard position. With Richardson Conway and Harris, where is Long getting minutes?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Who on our bench is earning a starting spot? Who's left? Long? You can't be serious.

Who on our bench is earning a starting spot? Who's left? Long? You can't be serious.
You just can’t help yourself, can you.

Why pick the 9-10th guy on the bench as that potential bench player earning a starting spot? I think if the starting 5 is Richmond, Harris, Rhoden, Yetna, Obiagu, then potential bench players who may start could be Cale, Samuel, Weston? There’s 3 right there without mentioning Long. Long, Conway and Powell will be fighting to get on the court, and maybe even Ngandu. But that’s practice depth and future potential.

But by all means, kick the kid to the portal.

Coming from a school who has one of the dirtiest coaches in all of BB.

When I spoke to Greg Shemitz of Big East Briefs many years ago we went out to eat and I asked him about the dirtiest coach in the game. His response, Boeheim and it ain't close.
He is slime! he is part of what is wrong with college basketball!

Name your starting 5 and I’ll tell you who I think can earn a starting spot. And with some time in the weight room and if his 3 point shot develops quicker than the others who don’t have a 3 point shot in their game, I think Long can battle these guys in practice earn a starting spot. Didn’t he just change the tempo of a game vs a good Johnnies team?

Name your starting 5 and I’ll tell you who I think can earn a starting spot. And with some time in the weight room and if his 3 point shot develops quicker than the others who don’t have a 3 point shot in their game, I think Long can battle these guys in practice earn a starting spot. Didn’t he just change the tempo of a game vs a good Johnnies team?
Sorry I just don't see Long competing on this level. Just appears to be too slow. Is be surprised if he doesnt transfer. He he gets minutes over Conway or Richardson then they just aren't very good. I don't believe that so don't see minutes for him unless there are injuries or major foul trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT