ADVERTISEMENT

Looking into the future...

HallBall17

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2017
Lets get way ahead of ourselves for a discussion...

A pessimist would say we finish big east play 11-7 (3rd place)
Sweep: SJU, Depaul and Georgetown
Split: Butler, Marquette, X, Creighton, Prov
Lose both to Nova

An optimist says we finish big east play 15-3 (Big East Champions)
Sweep: Butler, Marquette, SJU, Providence, Depaul, and Georgetown
Split: Nova, X, Creighton

I think we finish somewhere inbetween at 13-5 (2nd place)
Sweep: Marquette/Butler, SJU, Depaul, Georgetown, and Providence
Split: Marquette/Butler, X, Creighton
Lose both to Nova

Where do you think we are sitting come March?

14-4 is my goal. If we finish 15-3, even better. I just don't think that's realistic in this league.

Here's the formula:

6-1 the rest of the way at home (If we somehow go 7-0, that's fantastic and gives us more breathing room on the road)
5-3 on the road (call me crazy but I think we get 1 of the 3 toughest road games - Nova, Xavier or Creighton). That leaves room for another slip-up (MU, PC or SJU).

I think that's doable.

I agree 15-3 is a little unrealistic, thats Nova dominance, which i don't think were quite there yet.

I think slip up comes in the form of either MU or Providence at home later in the season...gonna be fun to watch this team down the stretch

Hoping for the best!

I agree 15-3 is a little unrealistic, thats Nova dominance, which i don't think were quite there yet.

I think slip up comes in the form of either MU or Providence at home later in the season...gonna be fun to watch this team down the stretch

Hoping for the best!

I think we end up 14-4. Right now we are extremely fortunate to be where we are at considering how we got here. We've escaped the last place team, and had 2 double digit second half comebacks. We're not dominating that is for sure. BUT at the end of the day we are 3-0. I'm really hoping we found something and stick with it in the form of getting Delgado the ball in the post and let Carrington, Desi, and Powell look to get open. We need a couple breather games where we can get Cale, Mamu, Walker, and Gordon some extended run.

I'm curious how many quality wins are available in the big east? 6? Creighton, Xavier, and Nova? I have to believe the loser of Creighton vs Xavier takes a big hit in perception unless Xavier beats Nova and loses to Creighton.

I think 13-5 will be where we end up and think we will lose 3 games to the following teams Marquette, SJU, Providence, Georgetown, DePaul, and Butler. The other two loses come from Villanova, Xavier, and Creighton (Yes we will win one minimum game with Villanova).

The winner of the regular season this year could have as many as 3-5 losses in conference games. Don't think Villanova's only loss to a lower team (someone other than SHU, Creighton, and Xavier) will be to Butler. They will lose at least one more.

I have seen Depaul play 3 times so far this year, they won't be a gimme for sure, especially out there. I love watching that kid Strus play, among others.

12-6

Losses @Creighton @Xavier @PC @Marquette 2X Nova

In all likelihood we will win 1 or 2 of those games and lose 1 or 2 of the games that we have pegged as W's.

Last edited:
It will be very interesting how these predictions may change after tomorrow. My goal has always been 12-6. Go 8-1 at home and 4-5 on the road. I thought the road wins would be Gtown, Depaul, and 2 from Marquette/Butler/St John's/Providence. If we somehow beat Marquette, we would be off to great start. Nonetheless, winning on the road is so tough. You just need to take a look at Arizona St. They were undefeated going into conference play. Nonetheless, they were so lucky to escape last night at Utah. If Utah's three at the buzzer went in (it was half down), they would be 0-3 after playing at Zona, Colorado and Utah.

Love the optimism but may be getting a little ahead of ourselves. We’ve done a great job to start 3-0 but all 3 games were dogfights. There are going to be some bounces that don’t go our way at some point. Let’s play well and win tomorrow then take it from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT