ADVERTISEMENT

Louis King Recruiting

May 31, 2013
2018 SF Louis King has seen his recruitment take a big leap this spring after joining Team Final on the Nike EYBL circuit. King has been receiving interest from Kentucky, Duke and has a Kansas offer. I have seen some posts on here indicating atleast some mutual interest between King and SHU, and would love for him to be the centerpiece of our 2018 class. Really love this kids game having seen him play for Hudson Catholic a few times while I was back in NJ over winter break and believe he has the makings of a future NBA player. How involved are we with King and does him leaving the UA AAU circuit have any negative implications in our recruitment of him?

We were thought to lead and have an in with him. But word is he wants a big time school.

really hoping we can get this kid and he commits early and then he can help recruit to make it a monster class.

We were thought to lead and have an in with him. But word is he wants a big time school.
News flash, we are a big time school! Why do some here try to portray Seton Hall as the second coming of Rutgers or St. Peter's!? Why would you try to undersell us!?

Reactions: Abbo71
I've always been of the belief that recruiting was a challenge for us because we didn't have a track record of success. Now we are on the verge of 3 consecutive tournament appearances with 4 starting positions opening up in '18-'19. If there was ever a time for a big recruiting class this is it. If we can't land some big fish in the 2018 class then idk when the hell we will. LETS GET THIS DONE!

Last edited:
We are always going to struggle with closing the big 5 star players as the blue blood schools have so many advantages. But we are on the rise and if we can sustain our success we can absolutely go toe to toe with the top schools in the northeast.

We have to beat out Syracuse, St Johns, Nova, Notre Dame, UConn, Maryland, Georgetown, etc for our fair share of the 4-star players in NJ, NYC and Del/MD.

We have 3 young players ready to form a core after our rising Seniors graduate and I think we will add 2-3 more impact players in 2017 and 2018 even if the Sports U kids go elsewhere.

I spoke to KW at a practice this past fall and he told me outright we are going to now try and bring in elite players. That means in most cases we are going to lose that recruit. But we are also going to win our share and that will propel the program beyond what it has been in the past.

Reactions: Abbo71
Good mission by Willard but we need more " Cale recruitments" vs. " Anderson/Thompson/Duval" recruitments. We need to lock up Jrs before they blow up!

If we like them but not love them we need to grade out potential and go hard for the commit. We are not Duke Kentucky hell we are not even on par with Xavier in recruiting.

Good mission by Willard but we need more " Cale recruitments" vs. " Anderson/Thompson/Duval" recruitments. We need to lock up Jrs before they blow up!

If we like them but not love them we need to grade out potential and go hard for the commit. We are not Duke Kentucky hell we are not even on par with Xavier in recruiting.

Probably because the pretzels at the Rock are too expensive to attend games :D

In all seriousness, I love that mentality by Willard. We should be going after those types of players IMO.

Yes, SHU basketball program is at the same level as Kentucky and Duke...right. Sure. Keep telling yourself that.
I guess it would be better to think like you and just take kids that no one else wants. Just be grateful anyone wants to sign with us. Bottom of the conference standings should be good enough for us, right? You sound like someone who would be happy as hell to have the St. Peter's and Rutgers of the world pass us! Sorry, but we're better than that, a lot better!

I spoke to KW at a practice this past fall and he told me outright we are going to now try and bring in elite players. That means in most cases we are going to lose that recruit. But we are also going to win our share and that will propel the program beyond what it has been in the past.

On board with this approach by coach.

I have the view of the simpleton. Get good recruits year over year to establish a pipeline, and get to the tournament every year. It is the same road for Villanova, Xavier and Gonzaga. Then just hammer and hammer. That wall is gonna come down some day.

Reactions: ShuVol
I guess it would be better to think like you and just take kids that no one else wants. Just be grateful anyone wants to sign with us. Bottom of the conference standings should be good enough for us, right? You sound like someone who would be happy as hell to have the St. Peter's and Rutgers of the world pass us! Sorry, but we're better than that, a lot better!

Uh, no, you're wrong. Not sure how you concluded I want us to be like RU, St.Peter's etc. Never said or implied such stupidity. But I also have no illusions that we are on a par with Duke/Kentucky/North Carolina etc.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT