ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Phelps: NCAA’s Lia Thomas issue shows need for level playing field

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Michael Phelps says the controversy surrounding NCAA swimmer Lia Thomas is “very complicated.”

Thomas, a transgender swimmer on the women’s team at the University of Pennsylvania, competed for three years as a male. NCAA bylaws permit transgender athletes to compete as women if they have undergone testosterone suppression for a year.

Phelps, appearing with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour last week, spoke to the issue as one of doping, saying he doesn’t believe he’s competed in a fair field in his whole career.

“I think this leads back to the organizing committees again,” Phelps said. “Because it has to be a level playing field. That’s something that we all need. Because that’s what sports are. For me, I don’t know where this is going to go. I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

lia-thomas-upenn-trans-swimmer.jpg

Lia Thomas
Getty Images

Thomas has been demolishing female competition. There is a chance she could not only win national championships, but compete for all-time NCAA records set by Olympic gold medalists Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky.

None of Thomas’ teammates have spoken on the record about their opinion on the matter, though some have chosen to do so anonymously to voice their concerns.

She compares herself to Jackie Robinson. She said she is like the Jackie Robinson of trans sports,” one of Thomas’ teammates told the Washington Examiner last week. “She laughs about it and mocks the situation. Instead of caring or showing that she cares about what she’s doing or what she’s doing to her teammates, she’s not sympathetic or empathetic at all. Lia never addressed our team. She never asked if it was OK. She never asked how we felt. She never tried to explain how she feels. She never has said anything to us as a group. She never addressed anything.”

Phelps, who won 13 individual gold medals as an Olympic swimmer, continued to advocate for a level playing field in swimming.

“I believe that we all should feel comfortable with who we are in our own skin, but I think sports should all be played on an even playing field,” he said. “I don’t know what it looks like in the future. It’s hard. It’s very complicated and this is my sport, this has been my sport my whole entire career, and honestly the one thing I would love is everybody being able to compete on an even playing field.”

@Halldan1 Surprised you’d put something so controversial on this board. I read this article this morning and Phelps all but says this is BS. He’s obviously afraid of being canceled so won’t come right out and say it but it’s total BS that this guy is competing against women. Seriously the guy has a frame like a middle linebacker. The women who are supposed to compete against him should simply forfeit and make a statement. Taking testosterone suppressant isn’t changing the fact that his body is 6’5 and he has the lungs and heart of a man.

We've been discussing this on the board for weeks.

It's a legitimate sports topic that should be discussed rationally.
It’s sad we’re even at an point where this needs to be debated. I certainly can have sympathy for those who are afflicted with gender dysphoria but that doesn’t mean 98% of society needs to conform to their abnormality. Women in sports should only have to compete with other women, not against men who feel like a woman mentally. They can dress like women, have surgery to look like women but genetically they are men.

The opponents and own teammates should have refused to swim long ago. One can only hope it’ll happen on a bigger stage at this point like the ncaa championships where I’m sure there will be a ton of eyes and tv cameras….

yea ive read that he was competitive even for men. made the all ivy team.

I think in sports like swimming, where performance is measured so decisively, it's fairly easy to see or forecast an advantage. What are this athlete's times and stats prior to the hormone suppressants versus after? What is an average male's times in these events vs an average female's? I'm curious why this is never being brought up in media articles - it seems this information would certainly favor one side of the argument or the other.

Two places men who believe they are women don't belong are women's sports and women's bathrooms.

They should be able to do what they have to do to feel comfortable in their own skin and live happy lives but not at the expense of others .

I just don't understand why each school doesn't make a transgender category. If there aren't enough transgender athletes, there's no team. Create a club team at the school and go compete against other school's transgender athletes that way. I actually think the schools would fund it properly. At some point the athletes need to realize this is a new category. People aren't sure what to make of it. Maybe 10 years down the line we realize it's ok for former men to compete in these sports. Maybe 10 years from now we realize that that would be the worst idea ever.

My biggest fears are in women's hockey and softball. Those are the 2 sports I think someone can really get hurt. Running, swimming, even women's basketball, I'm not for it, but I don't feel there's a real safety issue. Softball and hockey would be dangerous in my opinion.

I think in the olympics trans now have to be tested and meet a max testosterone limit.Maybe NCAA should adopt this policy.

She's much bigger than the male swimmer standing next to her. When will common sense prevail? It's just sillyness.

If someone wants to change their gender go for it. But that also eliminates you from competing with women who are simply not built the same. And going through testosterone treatments for a year changes things a little but your physical strength and body are not changing all that much. This is biology. For all the crying folks out there "follow the science"...

It’s not complicated, it’s sick.
A world class female swimmer discussed this in an article I read recently, saying how it is far more of an unfair situation for woman to swim against this transgender swimmer than it was back in the old days when they raced against steroid fed East Germans and Russians.

i am all for trans rights. However, this gives an unfair advantage in the sporting arena. Phelps is right, it sort of gives a trans woman the advantage of taking steroids to compete. I don’t know why this is controversial. This is just unfair competition. It makes a farce of any woman who trained her ass off to be successful in women sports.

She's much bigger than the male swimmer standing next to her. When will common sense prevail? It's just sillyness.

If someone wants to change their gender go for it. But that also eliminates you from competing with women who are simply not built the same. And going through testosterone treatments for a year changes things a little but your physical strength and body are not changing all that much. This is biology. For all the crying folks out there "follow the science"...
You mean he…

I think in the olympics trans now have to be tested and meet a max testosterone limit.Maybe NCAA should adopt this policy.
Limiting testosterone doesn’t change the size of his hands, feet, length of arms and legs. Size of their heart and lung capacity. Absolutely should not even be a discussion. You compete against your genetic gender of which there are 2.

You saw that Lia Thomas got crushed in a recent meet though, right? Defeated badly...by a female transitioning to a male.

Lia Thomas Defeated
fake news.

1) the time reported is wrong.

2) looks like Lia Thomas was in a sprint event which is far from her/his typical event of the 1650.

3) it says Lia was visibly dogging her races. i assume she's stopped crushing people at duel meets to lay off some of the steam

The prefect 'male' body for swimming.

A women would have to be an absolute freak of nature to compete against that.
Yeah, kinda like a Katie Ledecky, who’s only one of the greatest ever.

Never ever should this be allowed in sports. Now The transgender on jeopardy seems unbeatable. At least thats a level playing field.

Caitlyn Jenner: Lia Thomas shows NCAA needs to ‘protect women’s sports’​

Caitlyn Jenner has spoken out against Lia Thomas, the University of Pennsylvania transgender swimmer who has been demolishing the competition and shattering school records.

Jenner appeared on Fox News’ “America Reports” on Wednesday and emphasized her belief that she does not believe transgender athletes should compete in sports of the gender to which they have transitioned.

“I’ve said from the beginning, biological boys should not be playing in women’s sports,” Jenner said. “We need to protect women’s sports.”

Thomas swam for three years as a male at Penn before undergoing a gender transition. She has shattered school records this year, and could potentially challenge for national championships and conceivably break NCAA records set by future Olympic gold medalists Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky.

NCAA bylaws currently permit athletes who have transitioned from male to female to compete as females if they have undergone a year of testosterone suppression.

“Obviously this is about Lia Thomas who has brought a lot of attention to this issue,” Jenner said. “First of all, I respect her decision to live her life authentically. 100 percent. But, that also comes with responsibility and some integrity. I don’t know why she’s doing this. For two reasons: 1. It’s not good for the trans community. We have a lot of issues in the trans community that are very difficult and very challenging. We have a suicide rate that’s nine times higher than the general public.”

Jenner, 72, transitioned in 2015. She won the gold medal in men’s Decathlon in the 1976 Olympics as Bruce Jenner.

“[Lia Thomas] is also not good for women’s sports,” Jenner said. “It’s unfortunate that this is happening. I don’t know why she’s doing it. She knows when she’s swimming she’s beating the competition by two laps. She was born as a biological boy. She was raised as a biological boy. Her cardiovascular system is bigger. Her respiratory system is bigger.

“Her hands are bigger. She can swim faster. That’s a known. All of this is woke world that we’re living in right now is not working. I feel sorry for the other athletes that are out there, especially at Penn or anyone she’s competing against, because in the woke world you have to say, ‘Oh my gosh, this is great.’ No it’s not.”

The NCAA, as well as the Ivy League, have supported Thomas.

“Over the past several years, Lia and the University of Pennsylvania have worked with the NCAA to follow all of the appropriate protocols in order to comply with the NCAA policy on transgender athlete participation and compete on the Penn women’s swimming and diving team,” The Ivy League said in a statement on Jan. 6. “The Ivy League has adopted and applies the same NCAA policy. The Ivy League reaffirms its unwavering commitment to providing an inclusive environment for all student-athletes while condemning transphobia and discrimination in any form. The league welcomes her participation in the sport of women’s swimming and diving and looks forward to celebrating the success of all of our student-athletes throughout the season.

The NCAA will hold a meeting with its board of governors on Thursday to discuss the issue of transgender athletes.

We need to protect women’s sports, and the NCAA needs to make the right decision tomorrow, and that’s to stop this right now,” Jenner said. “Re-think it. Texas ruled no more transgender athletes in the state — you can only compete in what your original birth certificate says. The IOC is looking into these issues. It’s a complicated subject.”

Reactions: walshtrips

Caitlyn Jenner: Lia Thomas shows NCAA needs to ‘protect women’s sports’​

Caitlyn Jenner has spoken out against Lia Thomas, the University of Pennsylvania transgender swimmer who has been demolishing the competition and shattering school records.

Jenner appeared on Fox News’ “America Reports” on Wednesday and emphasized her belief that she does not believe transgender athletes should compete in sports of the gender to which they have transitioned.

“I’ve said from the beginning, biological boys should not be playing in women’s sports,” Jenner said. “We need to protect women’s sports.”

Thomas swam for three years as a male at Penn before undergoing a gender transition. She has shattered school records this year, and could potentially challenge for national championships and conceivably break NCAA records set by future Olympic gold medalists Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky.

NCAA bylaws currently permit athletes who have transitioned from male to female to compete as females if they have undergone a year of testosterone suppression.

“Obviously this is about Lia Thomas who has brought a lot of attention to this issue,” Jenner said. “First of all, I respect her decision to live her life authentically. 100 percent. But, that also comes with responsibility and some integrity. I don’t know why she’s doing this. For two reasons: 1. It’s not good for the trans community. We have a lot of issues in the trans community that are very difficult and very challenging. We have a suicide rate that’s nine times higher than the general public.”

Jenner, 72, transitioned in 2015. She won the gold medal in men’s Decathlon in the 1976 Olympics as Bruce Jenner.

“[Lia Thomas] is also not good for women’s sports,” Jenner said. “It’s unfortunate that this is happening. I don’t know why she’s doing it. She knows when she’s swimming she’s beating the competition by two laps. She was born as a biological boy. She was raised as a biological boy. Her cardiovascular system is bigger. Her respiratory system is bigger.

“Her hands are bigger. She can swim faster. That’s a known. All of this is woke world that we’re living in right now is not working. I feel sorry for the other athletes that are out there, especially at Penn or anyone she’s competing against, because in the woke world you have to say, ‘Oh my gosh, this is great.’ No it’s not.”

The NCAA, as well as the Ivy League, have supported Thomas.

“Over the past several years, Lia and the University of Pennsylvania have worked with the NCAA to follow all of the appropriate protocols in order to comply with the NCAA policy on transgender athlete participation and compete on the Penn women’s swimming and diving team,” The Ivy League said in a statement on Jan. 6. “The Ivy League has adopted and applies the same NCAA policy. The Ivy League reaffirms its unwavering commitment to providing an inclusive environment for all student-athletes while condemning transphobia and discrimination in any form. The league welcomes her participation in the sport of women’s swimming and diving and looks forward to celebrating the success of all of our student-athletes throughout the season.

The NCAA will hold a meeting with its board of governors on Thursday to discuss the issue of transgender athletes.

We need to protect women’s sports, and the NCAA needs to make the right decision tomorrow, and that’s to stop this right now,” Jenner said. “Re-think it. Texas ruled no more transgender athletes in the state — you can only compete in what your original birth certificate says. The IOC is looking into these issues. It’s a complicated subject.”
Jenner is spot on here especially calling out the woke crowd, but i cant help but think his real transition was from a 70 yr old to a 50 yr old LOL.

Agree or disagree, and debate away, but at least use "she". It doesn't take any effort to be just the slightest bit kind or respectful. I'm sure life isn't easy for her. No need for a bunch of adults to troll a student athlete. That's all.
Kind and respectful would be to acknowledge that one can call themselves whatever they want to but I don't have to be complicit and participate in it.

I have no problem with the female swimmer transitioning to a man. except for pulling her/his top down. that's just strange and not the right place.

however, once she/he takes testosterone supplements she/he'll no longer be able to compete in the women's events. while they might be fine with that its also right to point out he wont be competitive at all with males. those times she "crushed" Lia Thomas with are not good more men.

Kind and respectful would be to acknowledge that one can call themselves whatever they want to but I don't have to be complicit and participate in it.
i get your point but put this in a context of calling a biological woman a man and its pretty rude lol. however the other side of the spectrum is we start calling everyone toaster or bubblegum

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT