ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Phelps: NCAA’s Lia Thomas issue shows need for level playing field

Because that’s exactly what this monster does, don’t you read the articles during your time of understanding and empathy?

Again, I don't think she should be allowed on the team in the first place but it didn't sound like she was just walking around with her dick out. I think the term I saw was "caught a glimpse". Sounded like she changes in the locker room. Though, I do think Lia should respect her team's concerns about nudity.

I have had some of these conversations with people who are trans.
but does lia thomas get offended being called "it" over "he"? trans people told you that?

trans as a group doesnt matter. the point is that each individual has a preferred pronoun. why would you be so offensive as to group every trans person alike? sickening

but does lia thomas get offended being called "it" over "he"? trans people told you that?

trans as a group doesnt matter. the point is that each individual has a preferred pronoun. why would you be so offensive as to group every trans person alike? sickening

I get where you're going with the slippery slope and the fact that some people go overboard and get offended by nothing... but generally yes, calling anyone, even non trans people "it" is an insult.

Dictionary
it
/it/
pronoun
  • 1.used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified:"a room with two beds in it"
  • 2.used to identify a person:"it's me"

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Dictionary
it
/it/
pronoun
  • 1.used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified:"a room with two beds in it"
  • 2.used to identify a person:"it's me"

Going to debate personal and subject pronouns now?

ENGLISH-PRONOUNS-1-1024x614.jpg

Your intention is to mock and show you're unwilling to participate. That's fine and it is your right to do so... just own that position. No need to pretend you are trying to get the pronoun correct here.

Reactions: chickenbox

Your intention is to mock and show you're unwilling to participate. That's fine and it is your right to do so... just own that position. No need to pretend you are trying to get the pronoun correct here.
My intention is to mock those who think only of themselves and not others it impacts. You know, understanding and empathy for all. And I'll gladly own that. He, she, or it.

I get where you're going with the slippery slope and the fact that some people go overboard and get offended by nothing... but generally yes, calling anyone, even non trans people "it" is an insult.
generally calling someone unicorn is ridiculous, but here we are. if people can be insulted by anything these days, they also might NOT get insulted by anything also. so gear up the algorithm.

weird that has "they" under 3rd person plural. because now its being used (and recommended) for singular 3rd person.

and your POV agrees with it. load up the algorithm!

My intention is to mock those who think only of themselves and not others it impacts. You know, understanding and empathy for all. And I'll gladly own that. He, she, or it.

He can be an asshole, She can be an asshole, they can be an asshole.
It can be an asshole - but that is inherently saying something entirely different because "it" is the word we use for a thing in the English language, not a person.

or they. or unicorn. its madness out there!

Reactions: Merge
weird that has "they" under 3rd person plural. because now its being used (and recommended) for singular 3rd person.

and your POV agrees with it. load up the algorithm!

Say what you want to say, they might respond with "I go by x"
You can respond with, "ok I'll use that" - or "I don't do that"

Entirely up to you.

Say what you want to say, they might respond with "I go by x"
You can respond with, "ok I'll use that" - or "I don't do that"

Entirely up to you.
I might, Neo pronouns are so in these days!

main-qimg-30b1212c69e5c2436295ea6b01753194

commonly-used-pronoun-guide.jpg

He can be an asshole, She can be an asshole, they can be an asshole.
It can be an asshole - but that is inherently saying something entirely different because "it" is the word we use for a thing in the English language, not a person.
That appears to be they singular. I only know of they plural which is they can be assholes. Is they singular new?

I might, Neo pronouns are so in these days!

main-qimg-30b1212c69e5c2436295ea6b01753194

commonly-used-pronoun-guide.jpg

Right, like I said I see your point about going overboard and people taking it to far.
You are free to say what you want, I just personally wouldn't go with intentional mockery as my first choice.

I honestly doubt many would here either outside of a message board.

Reactions: chickenbox
Singular. They can be assholes would be plural.
I would've failed every English class I ever took using they in the singular form. What is the correct form for they singular? They like Seton Hall basketball or they likes Seton Hall basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merge
That's fair. It is awkward to use a singular they when discussing someone.
Curious how does one use the verb in a they singular sentence? They like Seton Hall basketball or they likes Seton Hall basketball. 3rd person plural is like and 3rd person singular is likes. Which is the correct use?

Right, like I said I see your point about going overboard and people taking it to far.
You are free to say what you want, I just personally wouldn't go with intentional mockery as my first choice.

i wasnt the one mocking. im saying youre not allowed to decide what is and isnt mocking. maybe lia wants to be called it over other things like "he". youre not allowed to assume how lia likes to be addressed and as such cannot pass out judgement.

generally "it" can be seen as an insult, but generally men have pensises but here we are...

i wasnt the one mocking. im saying youre not allowed to decide what is and isnt mocking. maybe lia wants to be called it over other things like "he". youre not allowed to assume how lia likes to be addressed and as such cannot pass out judgement.

generally "it" can be seen as an insult, but generally men have pensises but here we are...

Right, but a reasonable person can recognize your intent.

If you call someone "he" and they get offended right away, that person is just an ass and probably not worth talking to anyway. Your intent wasn't mockery and a reasonable person would see that, and say "I actually go by she" or whatever.

Being that we use "it" to describe a thing, and not a person... I am not sure what your intent would be other than trying to insult a person right off the bat.

Right, but a reasonable person can recognize your intent.

If you call someone "he" and they get offended right away, that person is just an ass and probably not worth talking to anyway. Your intent wasn't mockery and a reasonable person would see that, and say "I actually go by she" or whatever.

Being that we use "it" to describe a thing, and not a person... I am not sure what your intent would be other than trying to insult a person right off the bat.
well if assuming gender is a crime nowadays, "it" will be used a lot more

One who creates a mockery deserves to be mocked.

"You want respect, you have to give respect." - Tony Soprano

Again, I don't think she should be allowed on the team in the first place but it didn't sound like she was just walking around with her dick out. I think the term I saw was "caught a glimpse". Sounded like she changes in the locker room. Though, I do think Lia should respect her team's concerns about nudity.
If that’s the case, How is she allowed to change in the same locker room? That’s nuts.

Conversations like these reveal the true sentiments lurking behind their token justifications. I suppose it's minor progress that they recognize such thoughts as ones to be concealed.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Conversations like these reveal the true sentiments lurking behind their token justifications. I suppose it's minor progress that they recognize such thoughts as ones to be concealed.
Thanks but you ignore the fact that people like myself have been speaking the English language for decades, went through schooling to learn to use the English language properly, even though it doesn't always show on here, and have developed these habits. Do you get the sentiment that I'm a scumbag because I have difficulty using the word they in the singular form? Nobody on here can give me an answer on what kind of verb do we use for they singular. Do we use the 3rd person singular or 3rd person plural version of the verb? Doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc have to take continuing education courses to keep up with their field. It feels like we need some literature out there on how to use this new version of English.

Thanks but you ignore the fact that people like myself have been speaking the English language for decades, went through schooling to learn to use the English language properly, even though it doesn't always show on here, and have developed these habits. Do you get the sentiment that I'm a scumbag because I have difficulty using the word they in the singular form? Nobody on here can give me an answer on what kind of verb do we use for they singular. Do we use the 3rd person singular or 3rd person plural version of the verb? Doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc have to take continuing education courses to keep up with their field. It feels like we need some literature out there on how to use this new version of English.

Don't think he was referring to you.

But you're not a scumbag if you have difficulty using they as a singular word. It is awkward.

All I would recommend is that you pick a word you want to go with and If they ask you to use a different word, you can use that instead. But of course you're not obligated to do so if you feel strongly against that idea.

Don't think he was referring to you.

But you're not a scumbag if you have difficulty using they as a singular word. It is awkward.

All I would recommend is that you pick a word you want to go with and If they ask you to use a different word, you can use that instead. But of course you're not obligated to do so if you feel strongly against that idea.
Again, if I use the word what version of the verb is the correct use? Or have the powers that be not decided on this yet?

It's awkward because we've all gone through the education system for 12-20 years using the word they has plural only.

Except if you follow the above, you will be called a scumbag.

The French tried solving this by creating a new pronoun.

The have masculine and feminine forms of the plural "they" (ils and Elles)

They created "iel", a combination of the singular he and she (il and elle) to form a singular "they".

Apparently it cause a bit of a stir. C'est dommange.

Again, if I use the word what version of the verb is the correct use? Or have the powers that be not decided on this yet?

It's awkward because we've all gone through the education system for 12-20 years using the word they has plural only.

Not really. I'd bet we have all used "they" singularly especially growing up if you had a sibling.

"Who ate the candy you?" - "They did"

"Who broke the window" - "they did" etc...

How often are you all running into trans people that you are really worried about this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT