ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Phelps: NCAA’s Lia Thomas issue shows need for level playing field

Not really. I'd bet we have all used "they" singularly especially growing up if you had a sibling.

"Who ate the candy you?" - "They did"

"Who broke the window" - "they did" etc...

How often are you all running into trans people that you are really worried about this?
I'm sorry I can't remember using they instead of he/she when it refers to one person.

I'm not running into trans people often, but I will run into people who will be offended if I talk about the trans improperly.

Again is it....They likes Seton Hall or they like Seton Hall. Seems no one thought this through. Change the pronoun, but we have no answer on which verb follows the pronoun. Your example works great when the 3rd person singular and plural matchup, like he did, she did, they did. But still no answer when they don't matchup.

Last edited:
My new rule of thumb when running into these questions will be “what would Arthur Shelby say?”

• Haha
Reactions: Pirata
Again is it....They likes Seton Hall or they like Seton Hall.

Pretty simple to me. "They like".

My cousin's biological daughter transitioned to a gay male.

I first heard the "they" thing a few years back. My cousin saw the look of confusion on my face and then explained it to me. I recall him saying, "don't worry if you forget and call 'them' 'he'."

My cousin is left leaning and liberal. He admitted struggling with it at first. I personally could not give a darn and call people what they want to be called.

I am pretty much used to referring to my second cousin as "they".

I don't do it to be woke. I do it to be polite. When in Rome.

As they said in the Green Book film, "its a complicated world".

Last edited:
Reactions: sami and Merge
I don't do it to be woke. I do it to be polite. When in Rome.

That's the reason for my question. It doesn't take much to do it right, but when you seriously don't know something, you don't know it. The only way to learn is to ask.

Don't think he was referring to you.

But you're not a scumbag if you have difficulty using they as a singular word. It is awkward.

All I would recommend is that you pick a word you want to go with and If they ask you to use a different word, you can use that instead. But of course you're not obligated to do so if you feel strongly against that idea.
Do you realize that organizations grade one in part on their use of just “pick[ing] a word you want to go with”? Hospitals are an example.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT