ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou Coach

HallX2

All World
Mar 25, 2005
Dennis Gates says we’re an NCAA tourney team in his presser. Good friend of Sha’s and we played like one last night. Did we turn a corner? Could he be right?

No. He has not seen us play against the teams we beat and the teams we lost to. Probably SHA said the same about Mizzou.

We will find out soon enough if we've turned a corner. I did not see a very good team on the court at all yesterday for either Seton Hall or Missouri. Confidence is a huge part of basketball. Sometimes a team gains it in the strangest of all places, an ugly win, 6 guys on the court, or countless other places. Hopefully last night gets things clicking. I'm not the most optimistic, but I'm supporting 100%.

Teams aren't some static thing, impervious to change -- progress or regression -- especially in December, but even if that game was a turning point (for the sake of argument), we would have to be unconscious in the conference to make up for that atrocious non-conference showing. So the comment by Gates is nice, but meaningless.

Taken by itself, it was a nice win, though.

Teams aren't some static thing, impervious to change -- progress or regression -- especially in December, but even if that game was a turning

point (for the sake of argument), we would have to be unconscious in the conference to make up for that atrocious non-conference showing. So the comment by Gates is nice, but meaningless.

Taken by itself, it was a nice win, though.
We needed one win in ooc to have a good showing. Plenty of chances for quality wins, bit it is a tall task even of we went 2-2 in ooc games.

We will find out soon enough if we've turned a corner. I did not see a very good team on the court at all yesterday for either Seton Hall or Missouri. Confidence is a huge part of basketball. Sometimes a team gains it in the strangest of all places, an ugly win, 6 guys on the court, or countless other places. Hopefully last night gets things clicking. I'm not the most optimistic, but I'm supporting 100%.
Didnt see a very good team last night? Gotta give em credit for that game. Am i confident we can repeat that or come close this week? Absolutely bot, but give credit for this game

Reactions: radecicco and LBP43
No. He has not seen us play against the teams we beat and the teams we lost to. Probably SHA said the same about Mizzou.
Wouldn’t that be part of the scouting report? Watching video of the teams they have played. It was only 10 games of films to watch at that point.

Didnt see a very good team last night? Gotta give em credit for that game. Am i confident we can repeat that or come close this week? Absolutely bot, but give credit for this game
You only care about 1 side of the ball. Every good team lights us up from 3. Missouri was no exception. The shots fell for us last night.

If.... if we win three of our first five (Xavier, PC, Georgetown), I'd say we had turned somewhat of a corner.
Yes, I think so too. It's just going to be hard to earn an at-large bid, but one can look at progress in the long view, too. In the portal and "NIL" era, that's less and less of a thing, as each individual season stands more on its own, but there is still the idea of a culture taking root.

And hey, if we're peaking come March, who knows what can happen at MSG? (As far-fetched as it seems...)

Reactions: TheBluePirate
Not with our performance to date, no. Not even close. I’ll be rooting and as surprised as anyone if this team plays itself into the conversation as that’s what they will have to do.

And I’ll also be pleasantly surprised if we don’t start off 0-4 in the BE.

We needed one win in ooc to have a good showing. Plenty of chances for quality wins, bit it is a tall task even of we went 2-2 in ooc games.
When you consider the OOC, I think a good showing would have been coming out of it with 2 losses. A very good showing with 1 loss. And 3 losses would have been a mediocre showing.

When you consider the OOC, I think a good showing would have been coming out of it with 2 losses. A very good showing with 1 loss. And 3 losses would have been a mediocre showing.
I meant 1 more win to be 2-2

Sha is a defensive minded coach, I saw no evidence of defense (to any extent) in giving up 87 points to Mizzou. Want to be optimistic, but haven't seen a reason to be....yet.....Go Pirates, let's have a good showing vs Uconn!

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
4 of your first 6 on the road, and the 2 home games against Top 5 teams. Unfortunately, i can easily see us 1-5. Sha gets us to 3-3, he will have done an amazing job.

I think people are taking Coach Gates' words a bit too literally. What is he supposed to say about a P6 opponent that almost wired his team in a positive environment? Nice team, unfortunately we were the team they got hot against.

For all we know he said something similar when a then-winless Jackson State team went into their house and came away with a victory earlier this season.

Meanwhile they probably have fans who want him canned for losing to two schools they've never heard of in year two.

Dennis Gates says we’re an NCAA tourney team in his presser. Good friend of Sha’s and we played like one last night. Did we turn a corner? Could he be right?
Nothing to date would say that, silly of him. to say that. Coach babble.

But, there are plenty of chances to come...............

Sha is a defensive minded coach, I saw no evidence of defense (to any extent) in giving up 87 points to Mizzou. Want to be optimistic, but haven't seen a reason to be....yet.....Go Pirates, let's have a good showing vs Uconn!
saying Sha is a defensive minded coach is the biggest conspiracy theory of 2023. Our guys play no defense

They are friends and coaches tend to be complimentary of each other. That's all it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT