ADVERTISEMENT

NET Happenings

It is. His point is well taken. If Net is all about metrics, then that run at the end of the game hurt the team, however small.

Using metrics like this is the dumbest thing in the world- but it is what it is.
NET or NIL. Not sure which is worse for college basketball. Sha is our kriptonite against all this non-sense.

Malachi is never getting minutes and rightfully so. He lacks the size, physicality, and explosiveness to play at this level. Sha would have Sanders run the point over him
Not sure about Sanders running point. Hell, it doesn’t even look like Sha allows him to dribble. When he touches the ball in the backcourt, he’s immediately looking to pass like the ball is on fire.

Sanders is faaaar from a pg...stop. malachi is far feom a bull like kadary but can handle the ball, doeant rush anything and never looks scared. Good to see from a frosh
I was only responding to that persons comment if he thinks Sanders is the most likely guy to play PG of the guys who come off the bench.

Reactions: chickenbox
It is. His point is well taken. If Net is all about metrics, then that run at the end of the game hurt the team, however small.

Using metrics like this is the dumbest thing in the world- but it is what it is.
It is serious. It was a 22 pt. lead with 1:07 to play 3 turnovers led to SJU baskets including a 3 to make the final margin 15. Watch the offensive efficiency getting hit because of that.

It is serious. It was a 22 pt. lead with 1:07 to play 3 turnovers led to SJU baskets including a 3 to make the final margin 15. Watch the offensive efficiency getting hit because of that.
Might want to look to avoid those 20 point runs that XU put on us. Might want to look at the loss to RU. Worrying about 22 point win or 15 point win isn't serious. NET is just one factor, not the ultimate deciding factor. Our current NET is 58 from what I've read here. Does anyone think more of us if we're 57 or less of us if we're 59? We're in first place in the big east one third of the way in.

Reactions: thehall07
Might want to look to avoid those 20 point runs that XU put on us. Might want to look at the loss to RU. Worrying about 22 point win or 15 point win isn't serious. NET is just one factor, not the ultimate deciding factor. Our current NET is 58 from what I've read here. Does anyone think more of us if we're 57 or less of us if we're 59? We're in first place in the big east one third of the way in.
It was serious enough to Sha that he left starters in the game in a blowout. Unfortunately it bit him in the ass with Kadary taking the hard fall. He owned up and said it was his fault but I’ll bet Sha knew very well what he was doing.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Imagine it was a serious injury? All because of the NET, ridiculous.......
What scares me the most is the lack of college basketball injury transparency. We’ll find out an hour before game time in a Jerry tweet (X?) that Kadary isn’t playing. I hope that’s not the case but would really put a major damper on everything good going for us. Good news is Kadary has seemingly been playing through injuries as he’s always grabbing or wincing at something. I think he’s tougher than we give him credit for.

The NET is the reason Kadary was still in the game with 3:00 left up 20+ points. Sha is in tune with how the system works and for that reason, our best player got hurt. Hopefully it’s not serious but if he has to miss time, you can blame the NET and the ridiculous rewarding of running up the score. Terrible system. I understand there has to be a way to rank 362 teams but running up the score shouldn’t be one of them.
Couldn't agree more. Some say this is a better system than RPI, but that's BS.

Michigan State is 22 in the NET. We're in more brackets than they are. Both teams are projected around 10 seeds in most brackets. Stop viewing NET as the most important aspect of this whole thing. It's one measuring tool. Not the Gospel.

It was serious enough to Sha that he left starters in the game in a blowout. Unfortunately it bit him in the ass with Kadary taking the hard fall. He owned up and said it was his fault but I’ll bet Sha knew very well what he was doing.
He gave the bench more run than normal last night, plus even gave the deep bench minutes.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
I don’t know that NET calculation was Sha’s reason having Kadary in or what.

But you can’t manage a team to improve the metrics. I know the end of the bench let the lead go down to 15, but cest la vie. Otherwise it distorts what you’re trying to do as a coach managing a team of humans. If you develop into a good team – which Seton Hall has – the metrics will adjust on their own. And really, it doesn’t matter where they are on January 17th. It matters on March 17th. So just keep winning, blow out the likes of Georgetown and DePaul at home, etc.

Michigan State is 22 in the NET. We're in more brackets than they are. Both teams are projected around 10 seeds in most brackets. Stop viewing NET as the most important aspect of this whole thing. It's one measuring tool. Not the Gospel.
Nobody has posted that it is gospel. But you don't want to be an 8 or 9 seed because of it. Also if your net does hover around 60 there is a chance you could be left out of the tournament.

But you can’t manage a team to improve the metrics. I know the end of the bench let the lead go down to 15, but cest la vie. Otherwise it distorts what you’re trying to do as a coach managing a team of humans. If you develop into a good team – which Seton Hall has – the metrics will adjust on their own. And really, it doesn’t matter where they are on January 17th. It matters on March 17th. So just keep winning, blow out the likes of Georgetown and DePaul at home, etc.

I'd be stunned if that was the reason. The NET obsession is just a few posters on this board who don't understand how it works or what it is used for.

You would think at the end of a blow out.
The bench would play harder than the starters.
Starters would be exhausted, while the bench more than ready to go.

And they are not in anyone's bracket, plus it took away the chance at Oklahoma.
Still right now it is a Q1 loss. So if everything ended as of now it would be more of an SHU net issue than a loss issue. The RU loss would be just a bad loss every which way.

Still right now it is a Q1 loss. So if everything ended as of now it would be more of an SHU net issue than a loss issue. The RU loss would be just a bad loss every which way.
If you’re going to relate everything to NET, you’re treating it as Gospel. It's a loss to a non tournament team. The people picking the tournament teams know a loss at Kansas and a loss at McNeese State are different even though they are both quad 1. If you need NET to matter, you're probably not in great shape.

If you’re going to relate everything to NET, you’re treating it as Gospel. It's a loss to a non tournament team. The people picking the tournament teams know a loss at Kansas and a loss at McNeese State are different even though they are both quad 1. If you need NET to matter, you're probably not in great shape.
But it can be an issue come Selection Sunday when used as a metric to determine seeding.

If Seton Hall goes 21-10 overall (14-6 in the BE) with a NET of 58 they could get in as a 10 or 11 seed, vs if they finish 21-10 overall with a NET of 28, for example, they could get a 7 seed. In both scenarios they make the tournament with the same exact record, but they could get a more favorable first-round opponent/location based on their NET ranking.

But it can be an issue come Selection Sunday when used as a metric to determine seeding.

If Seton Hall goes 21-10 overall (14-6 in the BE) with a NET of 58 they could get in as a 10 or 11 seed, vs if they finish 21-10 overall with a NET of 28, for example, they could get a 7 seed. In both scenarios they make the tournament with the same exact record, but they could get a more favorable first-round opponent/location based on their NET ranking.
If we go 14-6 in the BE and we get a 10 seed regardless if our net is 58+ we will be the most talked about, royally screwed team in the field.

Once again a lot of misunderstanding of how the NET is used.

Yes the committee has stated it’s a large factor in seeding teams but it is not the gospel either. I think the example you provided is really extreme. Here are some variations from last year. The NET is close but not an exact analysis of the seed.

Last year teams whose NET did not correlate to their their lower seed:
UCONN:
NET 8
Seed: 4

West Virginia
NET 25
Seed: 9

Memphis
NET 23
Seed: 8

St. Mary’s
NET 11
Seed: 5

Florida Atlantic
NET 13
Seed: 9

Conversely here are some teams that jumped up in seed line

Marquette
NET 11
Seed: 2

Kansas St
NET 24
Seed: 3

I also did some random checking to see how random NET rankings have translated to NCAA seeds the past two years. With one exception, I picked teams that finished 40, 45 and 50 in NET:

2023:

40-Rutgers DNQ
45-NC State 11
50-USC 10

2022:

40-USC 7
44-Indiana 12
50-Marquette 9

Oklahoma State was 45 in 2022, but ineligible

Last edited:
Nobody is relating everything to net. They look at net and have said net Q1 metrics matter. So if your net is borderline and a loss like a loss to Iowa is a Q1 loss these things can effect your tournament status. Bottom line is you don't want to be around 60 for net it can hurt you at NCAA time.

Nobody is relating everything to net. They look at net and have said net Q1 metrics matter. So if your net is borderline and a loss like a loss to Iowa is a Q1 loss these things can effect your tournament status. Bottom line is you don't want to be around 60 for net it can hurt you at NCAA time.
I would rather be 25 than 60 in NET, but as plenty of random examples on here show, it's really not a good judge of what the committee does. I'm sure they'll use NET as a justification when it fits their needs. But I'll also add looking at just the random teams that lloyd and leftcoast mentioned, I think it's fair to say last 10 had more to ,do with seeding than NET did for 2 random teams people here brought up in RU and MU. Look at what RU did end of last year and Marquette did last year and what the committee did with them.

Imagine it was a serious injury? All because of the NET, ridiculous.......
Personally, I think Sha was chasing votes so we're ranked in some meaningless poll. :rolleyes:

I don't think any of us know Sha's motivations but I doubt the NET strongly factored in.

Against UConn, a game in which we led by 15 or more for all but 22 seconds of the last five minutes, Sha pulled Addae-Wusu and Richmond with 42 seconds left and Dawes and Davis with 12.

Even last night, after the Richmond play, Dawes and Davis were on the floor for almost another minute.

He's trying to make sure the game is a lock before putting little-used freshmen on the floor.

Reactions: Piratz
Win or lose I think the NCAA will lower RU’s NET just based on how badly both teams are playing. Probably the worst basketball I’ve ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: SOpirate
Win or lose I think the NCAA will lower RU’s NET just based on how badly both teams are playing. Probably the worst basketball I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, going to OT. Both teams could not execute much of anything at the end of regulation. Ugly stuff.

It was truly awful. Felt like it took 2 hours to play final 5 minutes and OT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT