ADVERTISEMENT

NET Happenings

Now we know why Willard wanted to limit the cupcakes.
This was a Willard-like schedule.

RU, a MTE with two P6 opponents, a Big 12 series game and a road game against another P6 -- theoretically the start of a home-and-home.

Maybe he replaces one of the buy games with a quality home game if he can find one.

Alabama went up in the NET after losing by 20

This is crap and they need to recalibrate the algorithm
Alabama went up after Sunday's games (they didn't play). The loss to Tennessee would have been reflected in Sunday morning's update. I didn't see where they were Saturday as compared to Sunday so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that Sunday's action featured games by opponents of both Alabama and UConn (the team they passed). Let's just say that Oregon (an Alabama OOC opponent) had a better day than Stonehill and Manhattan -- two of UConn's OOC cupcakes. Two teams with a combined four D-I wins.

The difference between Alabama and UConn was likely so small that those games were enough to flip their rankings.

Alabama went up after Sunday's games (they didn't play). The loss to Tennessee would have been reflected in Sunday morning's update. I didn't see where they were Saturday as compared to Sunday so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that Sunday's action featured games by opponents of both Alabama and UConn (the team they passed). Let's just say that Oregon (an Alabama OOC opponent) had a better day than Stonehill and Manhattan -- two of UConn's OOC cupcakes. Two teams with a combined four D-I wins.

The difference between Alabama and UConn was likely so small that those games were enough to flip their rankings.
How dare you apply both facts and logic!

• Haha
Reactions: TheHall87 and sami
This is so frustrating that people refuse to truly understand or learn how this works.

Let’s take this Alabama lost by 20 complaint.

1. Scoring margin has NOTHING to do with the NET.
There is the assumption that your offensive / defensive efficiency metrics should reflect the result of the score. But your efficiency metrics might not be that bad when you dig deeper into the box score.

2. You have to follow the dates the NET moves.
1/19 - Alabama ranked 5th in NET
1/20 - Alabama loses to Tennessee (6th in NET)
1/21 - Alabama is ranked 9th in NET
1/22 - Alabama moves up 1 in the NET without playing.

3. All Results Count
TheHall87’s example was perfect. Kind of like the way the old RPI worked. You want your opponents and your opponents opponent to do well. Strength of Schedule influences strength of opponent. So the more your schedule succeeds or fails it could influence a flip of a spot on a particular day.

I guess my pet peeve is that some posters take the time to explain how it works with facts provided from various websites…

But the next time a metric doesn’t go in the favor of the Hall, there will be 2-3 more threads complaining how it’s broken again.

They were 5th then 9th now 8th in NET

The exact metrics of NET are unknown

However, Alabama now has the highest offensive efficiency rating so this is why they are so high with 6 losses and Top 6 SOS. That also being said their wins are mostly in the SEC and their losses coming from OOC. Is Alabama overrated with their metrics because of the SEC? I don’t know

Also 0 ranked wins I think too

RPI is better than NET and I wish it was utilized for the seeds

Last edited:

However, Alabama now has the highest offensive efficiency rating so this is why they are so high with 6 losses and Top 6 SOS. That also being said their wins are mostly in the SEC and their losses coming from OOC. Is Alabama overrated with their metrics because of the SEC? I don’t know

😂 RPI was pure math and you still had multiple threads of people complaining about it like RPI was subjective.

With opponents opponents such as Stonehill and Manhattan to name a few, RPI might not be doing us many favors.

Butler is now #61 in the NET, Seton Hall is #62.

**Butler is 12-7, 4-5 road/neutral, 1-6 Q1, 2-1 Q2, 3-0 Q3, 6-0 Q4

**Seton Hall is 13-6, 4-4 road/neutral, 4-3 Q1, 1-2 Q2, 2-1 Q3, 6-0 Q4

Seton Hall is a consensus 8-9 seed in Bracket projections, Butler out. The NET is just one important tool but the second you dig into the profiles you see the differences despite similar NET.

We need to win 3/4 and let’s get some convincingly!

#60 Providence
At #17 Marquette
At #309 DePaul
#190 Georgetown

BYU has lost their last 2 games and 4 of their last 6, and are still 5th in the NET rankings…. Why? Probably because they absolutely crushed really bad teams they played. They are 2-4 in conference
They crushed Arizona State for sure.

For the next 2 games, what is more important to the metric?

A. A win on the road at Marquette
B. Avoiding a loss to Depaul

BYU has lost their last 2 games and 4 of their last 6, and are still 5th in the NET rankings…. Why? Probably because they absolutely crushed really bad teams they played. They are 2-4 in conference
They have wins over San Diego State, Arizona State (by 28) and NC State. They've also beaten Iowa State in Big 12 play.

They also played Baylor and Houston tough, the former on the road which probably doesn't hurt their metrics.

That said they are very good (14-5) but not top five good.

I believe its now 70. A win at Marquette would really move that needle in the right direction.

Reactions: Piratz
But it can be an issue come Selection Sunday when used as a metric to determine seeding.

If Seton Hall goes 21-10 overall (14-6 in the BE) with a NET of 58 they could get in as a 10 or 11 seed, vs if they finish 21-10 overall with a NET of 28, for example, they could get a 7 seed. In both scenarios they make the tournament with the same exact record, but they could get a more favorable first-round opponent/location based on their NET ranking.
Also, bump.

If we don't get in with a 13-7 conference record it will be because they see 4 of those 13 wins are against Georgetown and DePaul.
Every team in the BE got four wins vs GU and DePaul. We came in 4th in the #2 ranked conference. You also have the Louisvilles and Vanderbilts of the world in other conferences.

Let's play the Head to Heads
St Johns 0-3 vs uconn
Hall 1-1 including blowout win vs uconn
St Johns 0-2 vs Marquette
Hall 1-1 vs Marquette 1loss less Richmond
Hall 2-1 vs st johns ( road win at st johns)
Hall 2 full games ahead of st johns and 3 against providence.
Why talk about head to head of potential tourney teams when efficient blowout stats are available?

Let's play the Head to Heads
St Johns 0-3 vs uconn
Hall 1-1 including blowout win vs uconn
St Johns 0-2 vs Marquette
Hall 1-1 vs Marquette 1loss less Richmond
Hall 2-1 vs st johns ( road win at st johns)
Hall 2 full games ahead of st johns and 3 against providence.
Where do the losses to RU and USC and the overall poor non-conference performance come into the discussion?

SJU has four non-conference wins better than our best OOC win.

In the end you're talking about three teams that are 20-12, 20-13 and 21-13.

IF the teams are close enough then your information will factor in. The reality is for every advantage you can cite for Seton Hall (or either of the other schools) there is likely to be something equally detrimental to their cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT