ADVERTISEMENT

NET Happenings

When's the last time Hall got favorable seed or place to play around country. That 2016 6 seed out to Colorado vs under seeded Gonzaga team was criminal.
it was actually criminal to everyone including gonzaga. when they faced the 3 seed Utah they were the favorites again! and beat them even worse than us

it was actually criminal to everyone including gonzaga. when they faced the 3 seed Utah they were the favorites again! and beat them even worse than us
And then they lost to 10th seeded Syracuse who went on to upset UVA and make the final four. That bracket was wide open for the taking.

Reactions: TomD82 and Piratz
And then they lost to 10th seeded Syracuse who went on to upset UVA and make the final four. That bracket was wide open for the taking.
Cuse beat the ZAGS with the help of some terrible officiating. It wasn’t fouls but rules interpretation.

I also did some random checking to see how random NET rankings have translated to NCAA seeds the past two years. With one exception, I picked teams that finished 40, 45 and 50 in NET:

2023:

40-Rutgers DNQ
45-NC State 11
50-USC 10

2022:

40-USC 7
44-Indiana 12
50-Marquette 9

Oklahoma State was 45 in 2022, but ineligible
Good post. I saw Clemson with net of 60 was DNQ despite 23 wins and 4-4 Q1, but they did have some bad losses. Also the committee must not have too impressed with Nevada's net of 37 placing them in a play in game where they got smoked by Bobby Hurley. Utah State with a net of 18 got in. They were 2-6 Q1 and had 2 Q4 losses. They were a 10 seed. They are probably the poster child for this thread. Got in with net of 18 but should not have.

Good post. I saw Clemson with net of 60 was DNQ despite 23 wins and 4-4 Q1, but they did have some bad losses. Also the committee must not have too impressed with Nevada's net of 37 placing them in a play in game where they got smoked by Bobby Hurley. Utah State with a net of 18 got in. They were 2-6 Q1 and had 2 Q4 losses. They were a 10 seed. They are probably the poster child for this thread. Got in with net of 18 but should not have.
NET is nothing more than a nice tool to justify actions when the committee wants to use it. And perfectly flawed to not use it when the committee doesn't want to use it.

Reactions: HallX2
Not fair to Utah St. you gotta dive into the overall profile before you say they should not have been in.

They were 2-5 vs quad 1 and yes 1-2 vs quad 4. But only three quad 4 games. They didn’t play cupcake city like some schools.

They were 9-1 vs quad 2.
12-7 road / neutral
and they had 24 wins

the committee didn’t rely on a NET of 18. But looked at the full body of work and ranked them in the 37-40 range.

Not fair to Utah St. you gotta dive into the overall profile before you say they should not have been in.

They were 2-5 vs quad 1 and yes 1-2 vs quad 4. But only three quad 4 games. They didn’t play cupcake city like some schools.

They were 9-1 vs quad 2.
12-7 road / neutral
and they had 24 wins

the committee didn’t rely on a NET of 18. But looked at the full body of work and ranked them in the 37-40 range.
2-6 Q1. I would like to get a 7 seed and play a 10 seed like them after all the seedings SHU got over the recent years.

By the way, SH got 3 spots better in NET today despite not playing a game yesterday.

Reactions: mbraue
2-6 Q1. I would like to get a 7 seed and play a 10 seed like them after all the seedings SHU got over the recent years.
Six of the eight games were road or neutral which includes the NCAAT game against Missouri.

Three (all losses) were against San Diego State who was 14 in the NET and went to the Final Four.

They were good enough to beat a lot of teams last year. SOS was 19, Non-con SOS was 34. They won 13 games against top 100 NET schools.

Six of the eight games were road or neutral which includes the NCAAT game against Missouri.

Three (all losses) were against San Diego State who was 14 in the NET and went to the Final Four.

They were good enough to beat a lot of teams last year. SOS was 19, Non-con SOS was 34. They won 13 games against top 100 NET schools.
Dude, I am not trying to debate individual teams it is about net. But, still their net SOS was 73 and net NCSOS was 198. SHU was 34 and 56. You can't even cite accurate facts.

NET
Utah State
Mountain West (13-5)

DIV I ONLY
DIV I NON-CONF
RECORD
25-9
10-2
ROAD RECORD
6-4
STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE
NET SOS 73
NET NON-CONF SOS 198

I guess losing by 40 the other night didn't offer much of a boost!

Seriously, this is absolutely incredible for a major conference team. This would be humiliating for a MAAC program.
They need to make a statement to the Big East and fire the staff in season.

In other NET news, DePaul is down to a shocking #311. Certainly among the worst power conference teams ever.

I guess losing by 40 the other night didn't offer much of a boost!

Seriously, this is absolutely incredible for a major conference team. This would be humiliating for a MAAC program.
Hard to believe a P6 has no wins above Q4 on January 19. Also, 0-6 away from home -- which is far less surprising.

For context FDU likewise has no wins above Q4 (in their case 13 of 17 games have been Q4). At 6-11 overall, their NET is 319.

BTW, speaking of the MAAC, Manhattan is 328 and Siena is a whopping 350.

Reactions: SHUSource
Watched some of the Memphis loss last night (to South Fla). They have a similar issue as us. They were ranked 10 and NET in the 40s.

This is what I pulled from the same site. Those must be the ELO numbers. My bad.

No problem. I am for teams like Utah State getting in. I just think you don't want a net in the 50s come selection time. And after being in all these 8-9 games the last few years I would love to get seeded where we could play a Utah State, Saint Mary's or a Nevada.

Georgetown is gonna get somebody. Played well against us and played well and tough against UCONN in Storrs.
Team had talent and shooters. Will win games this year and will not be long before coach has them very competitive.

Reactions: mbraue
But somehow they managed to let one slip through their hands at X, 92-91. Defense optional.

Reactions: LBP43
Not too surprising. We're not a good metrics team and likely won't be.

Baylor lost twice this week
MISSOURI has won 1 game since we pkayed
USC is 8-11 and 3-6 in the Pac-12. They've dropped four straight, six of eight and nine of 12.

Their NET is now 90. RU is 91. Baylor is still 16 and Iowa is 50.

Missouri is down to 127 and that's our best OOC win. St. Peter's is 168, Monmouth 177, Northeastern 207, Albany 234, Wagner 279 and FDU 317.

It still comes back to the same point. We finished the non-con well over 100 in the NET. We've made up about 50 slots in a month. That's a lot already.
Pretty easy to see why based on the above. Not that we didn't know it at the time.

Reactions: Piratz
We were a BAD team in the non-con. Why all the doom and gloom here. The numbers are ugly. That was an 11 game sample.

We’ve been better in the BE and stunningly so, including 4 Q1 wins. That’s an 8 game sample.

See the issue with our floating metrics? We’re dragging a dead body lol. That’s a big part of the disappointment from yesterday and not sealing that game to continue to offset. We’d look better in the old RPI.

Reactions: SHUSA
We WERE a bad team. Then we fixed ourselves. A basic thing that metrics cant figure out. Teams can get better. We all see a very different and much better product on the court. Basic as abc. But a math formula cant.

We took a higher ranked teams to three OTs and take a ten % hit.

We WERE a bad team. Then we fixed ourselves. A basic thing that metrics cant figure out. Teams can get better. We all see a very different and much better product on the court. Basic as abc. But a math formula cant.

This is also true. And that’s why NET is one part of the consideration and also why it has improved more than 50 spots in a month and will continue to do so as we win.

But the solution to that is play 12 more solid games. When you now have 20 good games offsetting that 11 game mess, it’ll take care of itself.

As you said elsewhere, just win.

The NET is that way too because when it comes to selection, the NCAA says every game has the same importance whether it is played on November 15 or March 5. I don't agree with the NCAA's position, but it is what it is.

USC is 8-11 and 3-6 in the Pac-12. They've dropped four straight, six of eight and nine of 12.

Their NET is now 90. RU is 91. Baylor is still 16 and Iowa is 50.

Missouri is down to 127 and that's our best OOC win. St. Peter's is 168, Monmouth 177, Northeastern 207, Albany 234, Wagner 279 and FDU 317.

Pretty easy to see why based on the above. Not that we didn't know it at the time.
Now we know why Willard wanted to limit the cupcakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT