ADVERTISEMENT

NET Happenings

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Seton Hall moved up to #66 following the win at Butler. At now 4-2 against Q1, they are second in the country Q1 wins with 4. Only 7 out of 362 teams in America have at least 4 Q1 wins at this point. Wild.

#1 Houston, 4-2
#9 Connecticut, 4-2
#12 Wisconsin, 4-3
#16 Kansas, 5-5
#35 Villanova, 4-0
#42 Texas A&M, 4-4
#66 Seton Hall, 4-2

It seems every year there's a team or two that has a profile like Seton Hall's where the metrics are slow to catch-up to the team's improvement.

For the upcoming homestand, currently St. John's is #34, Creighton #14, Providence #69.

Its odd these metrics. St johns nova 30 apots higher. Butler around 50. How much do we have to win to be top 50???

Reactions: NYC Pirate
It has been very tough for SHU to move the metric meter the last few weeks. First and foremost, the team just needs to compile wins. Winning as little as 7 more games would make the team a solid Bubble Team. More than that and they should be OK. One at a time as they say. I guess the Creighton game is more important from a metrics standpoint. Right now, SJU is the only concern.

It’s as if it’s better to lose to good teams with good metrics and beat bad teams with good metrics than to just WIN all the games with bad metrics.

I get it but I still just think their formulas are way off the mark

WINNING is the most important metric and should be weighted as so

Xavier is .500 and their net is what 43? A .500 record cannot give u a net of 43. That means theres something wrong

Reactions: pirate AI
Xavier is .500 and their net is what 43? A .500 record cannot give u a net of 43. That means theres something wrong
It’ll even itself out but their wins are blowouts and their defense is a real good unit.

I know it's all about the Metrics but really. Nova lost THREE games to Big Five schools
4-0 against Q1 does a lot of heavy lifting. They've beaten North Carolina (7), Texas Tech (37) and Memphis (50) at a neutral site and beat Creighton (14) on the road. Plus, another top 50 win in Xavier (43).

It’ll even itself out but their wins are blowouts and their defense is a real good unit.
Their strength of schedule is carrying them. They've played 10 games against Q1/2 (4-6) and only two against Q4.

Hard to believe they'll probably play more Q4 games in BE play than the non-conference.

We have four more wins than they do but they're all Q4 wins.

X: 8-8 overall. By quad: 2-5/2-1/2-2/2-0
SHU: 12-5 overall. By quad: 4-2/0-2/2-1/6-0

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
Question, at the end of the year is the Net dynamic meaning do they look at you competitors’ net at the time you played them or their final net at the end of the year?

Question, at the end of the year is the Net dynamic meaning do they look at you competitors’ net at the time you played them or their final net at the end of the year?
final NET at the end of the year.

Think about it. The NET was not released until December 3rd.

You played games before that. So how would the committee know what that team was when you played them.

Also if I beat a team ranked highly in December off of a small sample size and that team goes on to being horrific based on their final record / metrics….should I really get credit for a high quality win?

Not a perfect system but only way to evaluate the number…at the end.

Also if I beat a team ranked highly in December off of a small sample size and that team goes on to being horrific based on their final record / metrics….should I really get credit for a high quality win?
Depends, for example RU went downhill terribly after they lost Mag for the year last year. Seton Hall beat them with him. Our high quality win went down the toilet when reality is we beat a good RU team at the time.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Depends, for example RU went downhill terribly after they lost Mag for the year last year. Seton Hall beat them with him. Our high quality win went down the toilet when reality is we beat a good RU team at the time.
Very rare example.

But Rutgers still played one of the worst OOC schedules in the country with Mag and they lost two of those games. So the computer numbers are what they are for the most part.
Now I know they didn’t play as well without Mag, but it’s not like they lost an All-American off their roster. They lost their defensive glue guy.

Also I don’t believe this kind of analysis was the intent of the original question.

I think they meant if a team was NET 20 when we beat them and end at an 80, how is the win evaluated. Its going to count as an 80 unless their is a massive unique outlier for an injury.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
final NET at the end of the year.

Think about it. The NET was not released until December 3rd.

You played games before that. So how would the committee know what that team was when you played them.

Not a perfect system but only way to evaluate the number…at the end.
Thanks. I don’t agree with some of your justification though. If a team is a quality team and later loses a key player and goes down the tubes so to speak why should a team that beat them early be punished? We’ve beaten 3 top 25 teams. One is no longer a top 25. Should we lose credit for that?

Thanks. I don’t agree with some of your justification though. If a team is a quality team and later loses a key player and goes down the tubes so to speak why should a team that beat them early be punished? We’ve beaten 3 top 25 teams. One is no longer a top 25. Should we lose credit for that?
Now you are comparing NET evaluations to what they were ranked in a subjective voting poll (Associated Press)

Apples to orange comparison.

I have never seen the committee state that they evaluate top 25 wins vs teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the time you play them.

I’ll give you a couple of examples to question that theory that it should count the way you say it should.

Example 1:
We beat Michigan in our 3rd game of the year while they were ranked 4th in the country in the AP polls. They went on to finish 27th in the NET. 17-14 record prior to the dance.
Should we get credit for beating the 4th best team in the country based on a subjective early season poll. Or credit for beating the 27th best team based on overall body of work?

Example 2:
James Madison beat #4 ranked Michigan State on opening night this year. Zero data to rank the Spartans that high other than reputation. Currently MSU is 26th in the NET and 10-7 overall.
Should JMU get credit for a win over a top 5 team when it is all said and done?

Last edited:
Reactions: chickenbox
Now you are comparing NET evaluations to what they were ranked in a subjective voting poll (Associated Press)

Apples to orange comparison.

I have never seen the committee state that they evaluate top 25 wins vs teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the time you play them.

I’ll give you a couple of examples to question that theory that it should count the way you say it should.

Example 1:
We beat Michigan in our 3rd game of the year while they were ranked 4th in the country in the AP polls. They went on to finish 27th in the NET. 17-14 record prior to the dance.
Should we get credit for beating the 4th best team in the country based on a subjective early season poll. Or credit for beating the 27th best team based on overall body of work?

Example 2:
James Madison beat #4 ranked Michigan State on opening night this year. Zero data to rank the Spartans that high other than reputation. Currently MSU is 26th in the NET and 10-7 overall.
Should JMU get credit for a win over a top 5 team when it is all said and done?
Well by this logic we Beat UConn when they were fifth. Should we now say we beat #1?

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
if they didnt drop the lead by 5 in the waning minutes you think it goes more?
Maybe. We picked up some negative metrics in that run (was 8-0). Turnover, missed shot, defensive fg% on their makes. But who really knows.

Just keep winning.

Reactions: Section112
If you’re worried about 5 points, the points we missed on layups early in the game would be the place to start. But 5 points is possibly moving us up one spot. It’s January 17th, unless something like top 5 in NET is the goal, we can achieve anything we want at this point by just winning.

The NET is the reason Kadary was still in the game with 3:00 left up 20+ points. Sha is in tune with how the system works and for that reason, our best player got hurt. Hopefully it’s not serious but if he has to miss time, you can blame the NET and the ridiculous rewarding of running up the score. Terrible system. I understand there has to be a way to rank 362 teams but running up the score shouldn’t be one of them.

The NET is the reason Kadary was still in the game with 3:00 left up 20+ points. Sha is in tune with how the system works and for that reason, our best player got hurt. Hopefully it’s not serious but if he has to miss time, you can blame the NET and the ridiculous rewarding of running up the score. Terrible system. I understand there has to be a way to rank 362 teams but running up the score shouldn’t be one of them.
I would think getting Brown minutes is more important than the NET on January 16th unless you plan on being a bubble team.

I would think getting Brown minutes is more important than the NET on January 16th unless you plan on being a bubble team.
I don’t understand this board and their calling for Brown. He’s in essence the 4th point guard on the roster behind Kadary, Dawes, and Wusu. He will be recruited over as many years as he stays here. He’s a nice player but there is no importance in getting him minutes right now. With that said, if Sha could do it over, Brown would have been in that game before Kadary took that hit. Very unfortunate.

I don’t understand this board and their calling for Brown. He’s in essence the 4th point guard on the roster behind Kadary, Dawes, and Wusu. He will be recruited over as many years as he stays here. He’s a nice player but there is no importance in getting him minutes right now. With that said, if Sha could do it over, Brown would have been in that game before Kadary took that hit. Very unfortunate.
We have no depth. The other 2 guys you mentioned behind Kadary get 30 minutes per game already. This is about getting Brown minutes so those other guys can get more of breather or give Sha more options if a couple of them get in foul trouble or God forbid have to miss a game.

Malachi is never getting minutes and rightfully so. He lacks the size, physicality, and explosiveness to play at this level. Sha would have Sanders run the point over him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT