ADVERTISEMENT

NJSIAA refs rig end of game

If that happened he probably disagreed with the other ref. Happens all the time and without replay I assume the head ref went with what he believed was the correct call.

Again, you are talking about a fraction of a second. In that short period of a time mistakes will occur.

For instance after Clougherty made that terrible call against the Hall in '89 one of the other refs told a member of our staff as they walked off the court you got screwed.

If that happened he probably disagreed with the other ref. Happens all the time and without replay I assume the head ref went with what he believed was the correct call.

Again, you are talking about a fraction of a second. In that short period of a time mistakes will occur.

For instance after Clougherty made that terrible call against the Hall in '89 one of the other refs told a member of our staff as they walked off the court you got screwed.
Correct, njsiaa has no replay mechanism. However the trail ref should have the final say.

What good is legal action going to do? The ref made a bad split second call believing he was right and the other ref was wrong. If NJSIAA regulations allow that to occur then there is no recourse for Manasquan.

They got screwed no different that SHU did in '89 by a very bad call.

What good is legal action going to do? The ref made a bad split second call believing he was right and the other ref was wrong. If NJSIAA regulations allow that to occur then there is no recourse for Manasquan.

Foul is different than an end of game clock scenario.

I agree. It sucks for these kids in the moment, but it's a good life lesson - life isn't always fair and things always don't go your way, even when they appear obvious.

This is high school sports, not life and death. Any legal action would be embarrassing.

I agree. It sucks for these kids in the moment, but it's a good life lesson - life isn't always fair and things always don't go your way, even when they appear obvious.

This is high school sports, not life and death. Any legal action would be embarrassing.
Unless of course there was video evidence for the adults of the world to step up and do the right thing. Damn kids.

Foul is different than an end of game clock scenario.
That wasn't my point. Just noting how a ref can make a mistake and cost a team.

There is no recourse in either case. A call, good or bad, in the manner that occured is not going to change. There is no video review in HS so the fact that there is a fraction left on the clock won't matter.

That wasn't my point. Just noting how a ref can make a mistake and cost a team.

There is no recourse in either case. A call, good or bad, in the manner that occured is not going to change. There is no video review in HS so the fact that there is a fraction left on the clock won't matter.
Precision is key and needed here...njsiaa does not have a replay mechanism...i cant speak to the other state federations...the attempt was out of the hand with .6 or .5 remaining

Unless of course there was video evidence for the adults of the world to step up and do the right thing. Damn kids.

I don't believe there are video replays in high school basketball. You're looking at it from the college/NBA perspective where they can review a lot.

I don't believe there are video replays in high school basketball. You're looking at it from the college/NBA perspective where they can review a lot.
This has to be precise to the adminstrating agency in NJ which is NJSIAA, replay mechanism does not exist

I think everyone wants the wrong call overturned. But I can't see it happening.

Edit -- And now that I just read the above it's clear it won't be.

Reactions: Section112
Everyone wants it overturned because it wasn’t even close to not being off in time. Player let go of the ball with a second left, the ball is in the net when the time hits zero… mistakes happen and that sucks.. I think the issue is how bad the call got butchered. I mean it wasn’t close

Reactions: shupat08

If we talk about sports as building character in young people, then this is certainly one of those opportunities. It sucks and the result cannot be undone, so the opportunity here is for the coaches and players of Manasquan to show some character in a loss - especially one that everyone can clearly see was unjust. Sometimes that is just the way it works. How you respond will go a long way in framing how it will be remembered.

As gutting as 1989 and John Clougherty always will be, I was always so proud of the way P.J. handled it, and it filtered on down through the program. That's as good an example of losing with class as I can think of.

This is also another negative of the social media age. Back in the day, this would never have become a story. Now it goes "viral" because someone posts it and multiple outlets pick it up. I'm sure bad calls like this have gone on for ages at the high school level and nobody made a huge national deal about it.

This is also another negative of the social media age. Back in the day, this would never have become a story. Now it goes "viral" because someone posts it and multiple outlets pick it up. I'm sure bad calls like this have gone on for ages at the high school level and nobody made a huge national deal about it.
It ended one team's season while the other gets to play for a group state title

Based on what? A terrible split second call by a referee.

I would be shocked if this had any chance as much as most everyone would want Manasquan to have won the game, as they clearly did.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT