ADVERTISEMENT

PG 2017

I like Walker a lot but his body type is very thin and I bet some wonder if he can get much bigger/stronger. Has to be a consideration.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here; but I'll do it anyway.

Being Walker's size and trying to guard a bigger guard can be really, really difficult. I wouldn't say he was a liability on defense in HS, but if i was a college coach, that is exactly what I would worry about.

Obviously I don't know the exact reason why the staff isn't picking him up, but that would be my guess.

I have seen Jordan walker in person several times. I've actually spoken with him. The first time I saw him I was shocked at how frail he was. I assumed he was a freshman in hs, but when someone pointed out that was Jordan walker I couldn't believe it.

Jordan walker is a very talented player. Fast as hell. I would like to see him in pirate blue but his body needs a couple more years to develop until he is able to contribute as a starting pg in the big east.

Reactions: wpc75
Hard to respond until we know what the full roster looks like.

But as far as I am concerned the worst case scenario would be having Deeno starting the season at the point.

If that's the case and we don't sign a true point than he is really going to have to alter his game and thought pattern on the court. He has (and I love this) a scorer's mentality. That's great at the two but needs to slightly change at the one.
---------------------
This so sounds like we are "settling" for what we have instead of finding that right fit for our program. If Duval is not that answer, then we need to find someone who will penetrate into the middle of the defense. Whitehead came here because he wanted too and that same mentality needs to be present in Duval or whomever we get in that guard position. If not we will again be first round out again. I honestly feel we are on player away from making this thing whole and it would really be a shame if we miss that opportunity. Just renewed my season tickets and so want to see the Rock rocking this year.

No way. Khadeen cannot blow by his man on the dribble. He struggled big time in the BE season. We need a speedy pg to break down the D

Wouldn't it be nice if we could sign a quality PG and put all this drama and angst behind us .

He ain't no linebacker. Is built more like a frail kid named Steph...

Reactions: mbraue
I have seen Jordan walker in person several times. I've actually spoken with him. The first time I saw him I was shocked at how frail he was. I assumed he was a freshman in hs, but when someone pointed out that was Jordan walker I couldn't believe it.

Jordan walker is a very talented player. Fast as hell. I would like to see him in pirate blue but his body needs a couple more years to develop until he is able to contribute as a starting pg in the big east.

I can't believe the concern over his size. First, I stood next to him and he is a legit 5'10", maybe 5'11". Second, there have been many great small and thin pg. just look over to Creighton with Maurice Watson. Seems as if he does ok and he maybe even shorter than Walker. Coming out of high school he was 150 lbs.

If you can play, you can play. Stop this nonsense about his size. Walker can play and I see him like a Watson type point guard.

Reactions: mountain25
Hoop-Hall-Jordan-Walker.jpg

635861569994464554-JordanWalker.JPG

I think it is funny that we have so many experts on here who can tell me definitively that Walker is so much better than Wheeeler. I believe that the coaching staff has seen enough of both players to decide what makes the most sense to them. It is their job not mine. I trust both Willard and Sha will make the right decision. This is not Freddy Wilson and Sean Grennan these are both real players who have flaws and strengths. They may develop or they may not. It is clear that the staff has some hesitancy over Walker whatever it is. What I don't like is that there are already people who are against Wheeler. If the staff picks him I trust their judgement. Let's let it play out. We have a strong nucleus returning and better bench players so we should be a better team. Let's look at the positive for once.

I think it is funny that we have so many experts on here who can tell me definitively that Walker is so much better than Wheeeler. I believe that the coaching staff has seen enough of both players to decide what makes the most sense to them. It is their job not mine. I trust both Willard and Sha will make the right decision. This is not Freddy Wilson and Sean Grennan these are both real players who have flaws and strengths. They may develop or they may not. It is clear that the staff has some hesitancy over Walker whatever it is. What I don't like is that there are already people who are against Wheeler. If the staff picks him I trust their judgement. Let's let it play out. We have a strong nucleus returning and better bench players so we should be a better team. Let's look at the positive for once.
What's this, common sense? Haven't read much of this on these boards recently.

Posters disagree with the staff. This is the place to express their thoughts on this. If not for various opinions this is a snoozefest.

Sha and Kevin gave made away too many wasted picks, and when the primary choices say no, they have made a bunch of bad moves. I have no idea who is any good, other than liking Walker. But serious posters watched a lot of you tube stuff and expressed their opinions, to which I say thanks.

He ain't no linebacker. Is built more like a frail kid named Steph...
Both are skinny but Steph curry is 6'3" not exactly apples to apples comparison. I don't think anyone would have concerns if walker were 6'3".

He is 5'9" (maybe) and 140lbs. If the staff is concerned with his height then so am I. I trust their opinion.

Reactions: batts and Bluebeard
Walker would be my first choice and then a transfer PG to complement him. My question is will we have better point guard play this season than what Madison Jones gave us last season. I'm not sure.

I can't believe the concern over his size. First, I stood next to him and he is a legit 5'10", maybe 5'11". Second, there have been many great small and thin pg. just look over to Creighton with Maurice Watson. Seems as if he does ok and he maybe even shorter than Walker. Coming out of high school he was 150 lbs.

If you can play, you can play. Stop this nonsense about his size. Walker can play and I see him like a Watson type point guard.

How about Howard at Marquette. I think he's 5'11 maybe 160 pounds. I think he did just fine in his 1st year at Marquette. Agree that size is nonsense when it comes to PGs.

I wrote this under Wheeler title but I'll repeat it here. At this point in the game I hope we can get Geno Thorpe. We need a proven PG and need to go the 5th year transfer route and he appears to be the best option at this point. Would like to see us involved with Aaron Thompson (decommit from Pitt). We supposedly reached out to him but I doubt we'd be able to get involved as I don't remember us recruting him before. He's visiting VCU (he's from VA) and Butler this week. Haven't heard Chris Darrington (JuCo) mentioned so I guess he's no longer interested. I'd sign up for Geno Thorpe on a heartbeat at this point. Hopefully he's really interested and he was a former Playaz so maybe Jimmy Salmon can help us.

Reactions: newshu1

Sorry, I trust my judgement and SPK's judgement

Reactions: lokiSHU
Walker would be my first choice and then a transfer PG to complement him. My question is will we have better point guard play this season than what Madison Jones gave us last season. I'm not sure.
Strongly doubt it based on what I am reading here. Hope they are wrong

Ok playing devils advocate here with Walker... now I played A Div1 sport, and what I see with walker is if you are undersized for your position, if it's perceived you don't have the body or strength then you need to be exceptional at 1 or 2 things, whether it be shooting, athleticism, speed etc. now I've never seen Walker play, but my guess is the staff feels that with his size he doesn't do anything exceptional to make up for that shortcoming. He may be a good shooter, may have good speed athleticism. That will get you by in high school but those things will shine like a diamond at this level. I think that's mostly BS but I know that's how coaches think

Ok playing devils advocate here with Walker... now I played A Div1 sport, and what I see with walker is if you are undersized for your position, if it's perceived you don't have the body or strength then you need to be exceptional at 1 or 2 things, whether it be shooting, athleticism, speed etc. now I've never seen Walker play, but my guess is the staff feels that with his size he doesn't do anything exceptional to make up for that shortcoming. He may be a good shooter, may have good speed athleticism. That will get you by in high school but those things will shine like a diamond at this level. I think that's mostly BS but I know that's how coaches think

I think the major issue is that the coach who is in charge of recruiting PG's measures every small PG to himself and that isn't fair. But when you see him evaluate a bigger PG, he doesn't use himself as the measuring stick and that's why there is mis-evaluations.

Reactions: catholicman
Gets the best players on the floor. We had an experienced PG last year right? Where did that get us? And are you saying he can't improve?
It got us to the semi finals of the BET, a second straight 20+ win season and our second consecutive NCAA appearance. I know we want more, but don't discount what we achieved last year and Madison Jones at the point was an important piece.

It got us to the semi finals of the BET, a second straight 20+ win season and our second consecutive NCAA appearance. I know we want more, but don't discount what we achieved last year and Madison Jones at the point was an important piece.

We won in spite of Jones as the PG.......

Reactions: lokiSHU
Madison Jones saved our season. If he didn't commit at the last second we probably are playing in the NIT at best.

Jones wasn't a star in any sense of the word. And in a different situation he might have been a quality back-up. But we didn't have a different situation so thank your lucky stars Jones committed when he did.

Isn't the hesitancy on Walker that he may reclassify to 2018? Wasn't this the last thing we heard after Sha and Willard visited him a few weeks ago?

I think madison is as good or better than all of our potential options at pg next year.

None of these players will be an "upgrade"

Reactions: SHUMike
Amari Hardy and Shakur Juiston both to UNLV. Solid day for the Rebels.

And Top 15 recruit Brandon McCoy -6'10 center. A very good day for UNLV!

Madison Jones saved our season. If he didn't commit at the last second we probably are playing in the NIT at best.

Jones wasn't a star in any sense of the word. And in a different situation he might have been a quality back-up. But we didn't have a different situation so thank your lucky stars Jones committed when he did.

And we find ourselves in the same situation this year hoping to find a PG in the Core Four's final season with the options available to us to do so shrinking every day.

Reactions: SHUMA04
You must of watched a different season of basketball then me......
No one is saying that Madison was an all big east caliber player but he is as good or better than a freshman wheeler, a freshman walker or Thorpe.

For the record I think walker will be the best of the bunch by the time he is a senior.

That's fair. Only time will tell. Personally I'm not a fan of handing over the keys to walker next year. Maybe in a couple years. Thorpe is the best option at this point. Wheeler....no comment.

Last edited:
Madison Jones def did save our season as HallDan stated, but at the same time he is part of the reason we went from 3rd to 5th in conf, BE champs to losing in the semi-finals, & taking a L in the first round.

He did the little things to help us and always put the team first. I wish we had him for another year, but I think Thorpe would be a significant upgrade. Just my opinion tho

Why has't Duval announced? Is he still undecided? Is he waiting to see who withdraws from the draft?

Agree with Artie. Thorpe is as good or better than Jones in most every way and is well-regarded for his leadership, defense and intangibles.

Walker is an upgrade over Jones offensively but a big drop-off defensively.

Thorpe + Walker isn't a great BE PG tandem but it's good enough when the rest of the team is pretty stacked.

We won in spite of Jones as the PG.......

Jones stabilized things last season, kept us treading water and allowed us to get to the tournament. He was serviceable and did a nice job, all things considered. However, the ceiling was always low because we lacked a dominant point guard who could make shots and break down the defense. In the grand scheme of things that was fine, but only for 2016-17.

Next year I don't want to tread water. I don't want a serviceable point guard. I want a strong point guard who can make shots, run the offense, break down the defense and make our core of seniors better. This is the last shot for the Class of 2014. We can't go another year with only an average, serviceable point guard. The result will be similar. An uphill battle to get to the NCAA's and no more than one win if we do get there.

The talent on this team is better than that. It was last year too. But this season is the final shot and a serviceable point guard will not be acceptable. We must do better. We need to do better.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and mjs429

And the injuries to Maurice Watson and Sumner's injury also helped save the season. I hate seeing kids get injured but those two injuries really helped the Pirates get two more wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT