ADVERTISEMENT

PG 2017

SDI

Sep 23, 2003
Confident that Carrington can handle the point this year...gives us much better scoring balance...if we can get Duval, great...otherwise let Carrington handle the point, bring in a frosh pg to be his understudy...we witnessed last year how difficult it is to score when you have a pg that is offensively challenged...game on the line I want the ball in Carringtons hands...Sr. who will make good decisions and can score the ball...not afraid of the moment...

the key is if someone can play like IW did his Soph year. Be a lead guard; able to create for teammates when needed, but can create and make his shot when needed. If Angel is back, offense should still be inside out, and we should play with higher tempo and get more transition opportunities.

Becoming clear to me, we're not going to have a perfect solution at PG next season, so need to find other ways to compensate.

The ark last minute was not, as I remember, the only two times Khadeen had the ball in his hands. Compared to the players we seem likely to get (omitting walker, who I think has more promise ) I would like to see him given longer time as lead guard too. Most disagree. If he can play serviceable point, our upside is higher with him over one of the names we are considering as it allows more talent on the court and eliminates the offensive hole we had last year. I wonder how many points were lost due to lack of respect for Madison's ability to shoot. I don't think kc was given a real shot for the job. One would think Sha and Kevin know best. Of course, one would also think they could have already signed a point who would stop this discussion.

Reactions: Section112
I think some of you are in for a rude awakening if you think someone like Jamari wheeler is going to come in here and play at a high level as a freshman.

Is Khadeen a pg? Definitely not. But I promise you Sr. Khadeen is a better option at pg than a Fr. wheeler or any other freshman we are looking at.

I think some of you are in for a rude awakening if you think someone like Jamari wheeler is going to come in here and play at a high level as a freshman.

Is Khadeen a pg? Definitely not. But I promise you Sr. Khadeen is a better option at pg than a Fr. wheeler or any other freshman we are looking at.

While there are still options on the board, I don't believe in the best looking girl in an ugly homeroom theory.

I think there are kids available who would do a better job of running the offense then KC and would help the team..

I do not think Wheeler is one of those options.

Reactions: newshu1

Khadeen would not be a better option at pg than Jordan Walker. I always thought Carrington could slide to the pg but last year proved to me that he can't.

Reactions: HallLine69
I hate to say it, but Khadeen tends to play lazy when he has the ball in his hand.

A point guard needs to have an extremely tight handle, when watching him, I just don't see him with that quality.

Reactions: shu09
the key is if someone can play like IW did his Soph year. Be a lead guard; able to create for teammates when needed, but can create and make his shot when needed. If Angel is back, offense should still be inside out, and we should play with higher tempo and get more transition opportunities.

Becoming clear to me, we're not going to have a perfect solution at PG next season, so need to find other ways to compensate.
Hard to respond until we know what the full roster looks like.

But as far as I am concerned the worst case scenario would be having Deeno starting the season at the point.

If that's the case and we don't sign a true point than he is really going to have to alter his game and thought pattern on the court. He has (and I love this) a scorer's mentality. That's great at the two but needs to slightly change at the one.

Agree with everyone on this thread, KC is not our 2018 answer at PG.....perhaps a better option than Wheeler....give me Thorpe or Darrington and Walker....just hope we didn't burn ourselves on Jordan Walker front. I am not in favor of handing keys to Wheeler, rather risk season with Walker

Remember last preseason when I posted a question re the starting backcourt?

Jones and Carrington

OR

Powell and Carrington

The latter won in a landslide. But clearly the majority were wrong.

Something to think about when we question (and I include myself at times) Willard's judgement.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Hard to respond until we know what the full roster looks like.

But as far as I am concerned the worst case scenario would be having Deeno starting the season at the point.

If that's the case and we don't sign a true point than he is really going to have to alter his game and thought pattern on the court. He has (and I love this) a scorer's mentality. That's great at the two but needs to slightly change at the one.

What if we don't land a pg this cycle? Take JQ out of the equation, who else are we looking at for '18?

What if we don't land a pg this cycle? Take JQ out of the equation, who else are we looking at for '18?

Nowell who is now at Monteverde and Alex Lomax from TN are the only PG's that have mentioned us besides Walker and JQ......

Nowell who is now at Monteverde and Alex Lomax from TN are the only PG's that have mentioned us besides Walker and JQ......

Forgot about Lomax, totally dismissed Nowell considering he's at least 3 inches shorter than Walker

Dan where do we stand wtih Geno Thorpe? Are we still in play? I am hearing he is a strong Pitt lean as he wants to play at home. I want him BAD!!!! We need to land him

I post most recruiting news on the Trove. For now I'll just say Thrope is suppose to take an official to SHU early next month.

Reactions: newshu1
First choice = get a good experienced PG.

I agree that KC has a scorer's mentality and is best at the 2 "today". With that said everyone is also assuming he cannot improve at the PG position which I think does not give the player credit and is simply wrong. He learned a lot last year from playing the point some and could come in this year with a whole new approach and mentality. And if he wants to play in Europe or for money his next level position will be at PG. He could improve a lot, knows now what the coaches want from the position and learned a lot from his mistakes last year. The staff needs to change the way the offense works at end of half and end of game. Can't have KC just dribbling the ball. Move the ball, trust your offense at crunch time and KC will be fine and more lethal in that scenario. Also gets more time for Powell and Cale on the floor.

I know this is not the unpopular opinion but how many times have we seen a kid make the move to PG and struggle his first year and then take a huge leap his second year at the position? It is not out of the question as some posters believe. Is it my first choice - nope but it could work.

I agree that KC has a scorer's mentality and is best at the 2 "today". With that said everyone is also assuming he cannot improve at the PG position which I think does not give the player credit and is simply wrong. He learned a lot last year from playing the point some and could come in this year with a whole new approach and mentality. And if he wants to play in Europe or for money his next level position will be at PG. He could improve a lot, knows now what the coaches want from the position and learned a lot from his mistakes last year. The staff needs to change the way the offense works at end of half and end of game. Can't have KC just dribbling the ball. Move the ball, trust your offense at crunch time and KC will be fine and more lethal in that scenario. Also gets more time for Powell and Cale on the floor.

I know this is not the unpopular opinion but how many times have we seen a kid make the move to PG and struggle his first year and then take a huge leap his second year at the position? It is not out of the question as some posters believe. Is it my first choice - nope but it could work.

This is like buying a Ferrari and using it to pick up your laundry and groceries. KC is a scoring 2G, why you would want to use him in a role that he isn't meant for is beyond me.

I think you make very fair points. But IMO that should be a last case solution. Deeno has so much to offer at the 2 I hate to see it partially wasted at the 1.

Reactions: Pirate6711
This is like buying a Ferrari and using it to pick up your laundry and groceries. KC is a scoring 2G, why you would want to use him in a role that he isn't meant for is beyond me.
Gets the best players on the floor. We had an experienced PG last year right? Where did that get us? And are you saying he can't improve?

Gets the best players on the floor. We had an experienced PG last year right? Where did that get us? And are you saying he can't improve?

He wasn't a very good PG but he ran the team much better then KC. The last 5 mins of the Arkansas game sums up what KC looks like running the point.,

If KW can land a top-flight PG for 2017-2018, with Angel coming back, it's going to be a lot of fun watching this team next season.

He wasn't a very good PG but he ran the team much better then KC. The last 5 mins of the Arkansas game sums up what KC looks like running the point.,
I don't disagree that the end of a few games were a disaster and I'd rather have an experienced PG. But the fact remains that we never made a commitment to him at the point. I still ask if we made a commitment to him at the position is it your opinion that he cannot improve and become a good PG?

He seemed to make silly mistakes, more often than not, at the end of games. Unfortunately, the Arkansas game wasn't an outlier; it happened pretty often throughout the season...

Reactions: Seton00 and shu09
If KW can land a top-flight PG for 2017-2018, with Angel coming back, it's going to be a lot of fun watching this team next season.

Are there really any top flight PGs to land at this point? Duval ship has passed.

The HS guys and grad transfers we are linked to I would not consider top flight, especially for 2017-18, potential YES, top flight NO. I think at this point we need to have someone on the roster who is better or at worse case even to what we had last season in Jones.

Think that is why we need to bring a combo of grad transfer and a HS player, my ideal situation at this point would be Thorpe and Walker.

I feel like we had the exact same question one year ago and eventually learned the answer. It is up to Willard to find a PG at least at Madison Jones' level, not Khadeen to learn PG.

Don't confuse height with body type.

10000% people focus too much on height and not body type. Andre Barrett and Jordan Walker are both about 5'9, but Barrett was strong as hell and built like a bulldog. Walkers body type is the complete opposite of that.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Confident that Carrington can handle the point this year...

You lost me here. KC is a really good two-way SG. He is not in any way a PG. All the evidence you need (watching) confirms this.

The question of who plays the PG position has been one of the most talked about subjects on this Board since Sina and Gibbs left. First it was about whether IW could make the transition Then it was all about who would succeed IW and why there wasn't a player ready to step in. The conversation continued through all of last year about whether KC could play the point, the débâcle that JT was and how fortunate we were to have Madison added to the roster late. Here we are again, at the end of April having the same discussion about who is going to run the point and why don't we have one ready to step in . Unless the staff can find us a quality PG for next year and hopefully beyond this issue will again capture a large part of the conversation on this Board and if we don't find what we need , then all the naysayers will surface again and none of want that.

Reactions: deheremike
Carrington is not the best option for us as the primary ball handler. I also think the opinion of him on this front has swung way too far to the negative. I know he can do better.

10000% people focus too much on height and not body type. Andre Barrett and Jordan Walker are both about 5'9, but Barrett was strong as hell and built like a bulldog. Walkers body type is the complete opposite of that.

Dre got much stronger once he got on campus and on a college weight program. The same can def happen with Walker. Walker is a really good talent, one that I feel SHU needs.

Dre did get stronger absolutely, but he was more developed physically as a freshman than Walker is currently. That can't be disputed.

What are you taking about? I'm not comparing skillset at all, I'm comparing body type. Their rankings are completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Walker has the body of a 14 year old boy. His body is not developed yet. It's not a knock on him it's just some kids develop later in life.

What are you taking about? I'm not comparing skillset at all, I'm comparing body type. Their rankings are completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Walker has the body of a 14 year old boy. His body is not developed yet. It's not a knock on him it's just some kids develop later in life.

Part of the reason that Barrett was ranked where he was, was due to his body. Jordan is bigger then a 14 year old boy. If you didn't get a chance to see him play in person, check out some of the videos from this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT