ADVERTISEMENT

PG 2017

I'm on this train right now. If you bring in one of these grad transfer points, a la Madison, you want to be sure that he understands his job is to run the offense and play defense, first and foremost. Don't want any problems with our seniors getting the ball, because options 1-3 on next year's team should be Delgado (assuming he is back), Deanno and Desi.

Dre got much stronger once he got on campus and on a college weight program. The same can def happen with Walker. Walker is a really good talent, one that I feel SHU needs.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Hypothetically if walker signs what are the ramifications with walker and more importantly st pats if we recruit over him next year after giving him the starting role as a freshman?

Hypothetically if walker signs what are the ramifications with walker and more importantly st pats if we recruit over him next year after giving him the starting role as a freshman?
Oh I think we would most definitely try to recruit over walker if we could. Very good pg talent in that 2018 class that we have supposedly been on for quite some time.

I'm still saddened by JQ being a near lock to Nova. I just love that kids game.

And we find ourselves in the same situation this year hoping to find a PG in the Core Four's final season with the options available to us to do so shrinking every day.
Maybe we should all chill out a little. Our readers do not have the info the staff has. They know what they are doing and much of the what is being noted here is inaccurate.

And the injuries to Maurice Watson and Sumner's injury also helped save the season. I hate seeing kids get injured but those two injuries really helped the Pirates get two more wins.
And having Ish injured most all year and not matching his soph productions hurt us badly and probably cost us a game or two. Certainly the Stanford game was clearly winnable with Ish playing. Hell, we should have won it without him.

Bottom line, you play the cards dealt to you and don't look for excuses when we lose or when we win.

How many here have used the words no excuse when something negative occurred? Well, that works both ways.

Just an FYI. Walker would absolutely not start as a freshmen when and if he comes here. He is not ready yet.

And I say that noting I like him a lot. But understand he won't be our starting PG next season. Nor should he be.

Down the road it's his job to earn the starting position. He has the ability but he won't be given any guarantees. Nor does he want any.

Just an FYI. Walker would absolutely not start as a freshmen when and if he comes here. He is not ready yet.

And I say that noting I like him a lot. But understand he won't be our starting PG next season. Nor should he be.

Down the road it's his job to earn the starting position. He has the ability but he won't be given any guarantees. Nor does he want any.
That's actually reassuring. Thanks for that tidbit.

I strongly disagree, Walker would be better in my opinion. Thorpe would be an upgrade over Jones.
I agree with Artie, though Madison Jones was a needed contributor for our 2016/17 success, after review film of both Walker & Thorpe, both would supply a better overall PG presence in the SHU lineup in 2017/18 season.

I agree with Artie, though Madison Jones was a needed contributor for our 2016/17 success, after review film of both Walker & Thorpe, both would supply a better overall PG presence in the SHU lineup in 2017/18 season.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm curious why you (and others) think walker would be an upgrade over Madison when dan just said walker "would absolutely not start"? That comment implys that walker (currently) is not as good as Jones.

If Jones was good enough to start and walker isn't good enough to start that means senior Jones is better than freshman walker.

That's actually reassuring. Thanks for that tidbit.
There's so much more on the Trove that isn't being noted here.

Suffice to say that Walker is a very good player and if he comes to the Hall he'll be a fan favorite.

FWIW, we'll have the PG situation sorted out very, very soon. Stay tuned.

Reactions: batts and shupat08
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm curious why you (and others) think walker would be an upgrade over Madison when dan just said walker "would absolutely not start"? That comment implys that walker (currently) is not as good as Jones.

If Jones was good enough to start and walker isn't good enough to start that means senior Jones is better than freshman walker.
He would be. But not in year one. There is no way Walker as an incoming freshmen would be better than Jones as a 5th year grad.

Dan that is my point and what I have been saying all along. Not in year one. I'm comparing 2017 Jones to 2018 walked (not 2021 walker) I have no doubts that walker is the better player but as a freshman he is not going to be able to provide what Madison did (especially on defense) as a 5th year senior.

n but I'm curious why you (and others) think walker would be an upgrade over Madison when dan just said walker
Here's my thoughts, overall Walker has a better overall PG skill set...as Dan noted, it will take time. However, its my belief that over the course of his freshman year, Jordan Walker would emerge as a more productive component to SHU's 2018 team, than Madison Jones was to the 2017 team.
As I am typing this I am reflecting that when season was on line last year, vs Arkansas, the ball was not even in Jones' hands...I feel that the ball would be in Walker's hands if the same scenario occurred in '18 and Walker was a Pirate.
BTW, I truly liked and appreciated Madison Jones' contribution to the 2017 SHU Pirates, we definitely would not have progressed as well as we did without him.

Reactions: cernjSHU
Here's my thoughts, overall Walker has a better overall PG skill set...as Dan noted, it will take time. However, its my belief that over the course of his freshman year, Jordan Walker would emerge as a more productive component to SHU's 2018 team, than Madison Jones was to the 2017 team.
As I am typing this I am reflecting that when season was on line last year, vs Arkansas, the ball was not even in Jones' hands...I feel that the ball would be in Walker's hands if the same scenario occurred in '18 and Walker was a Pirate.
BTW, I truly liked and appreciated Madison Jones' contribution to the 2017 SHU Pirates, we definitely would not have progressed as well as we did without him.
I WISH the ball was in Jones hands the last 2 minutes vs. Arkansas. They may have won. As almost everyone has said "you don't want KC with the ball as he's better off the ball."

Interesting that people have judged Walker as not being able to start freshman year. Well, let the kid compete and show you what he has. unless the Hall can bring in a damn good 5th year grad player, I think Walker will win the job.

I agree with this but only on the offensive side of the ball.

Don't get me wrong I really like Jordan Walker and want him to come to the Hall badly - that will make me happy and I will be a big fan. But defensively most freshman struggle and in Willard's tenure it always takes a while for a PG to click and run the team how he wants it to be run.

Really like Walker but no way should he start on an NCAA team poised to advance beyond the first weekend.

I also don't see any 5th-year transfer Seton Hall is involved with or Carrington as being that PG either.

I WISH the ball was in Jones hands the last 2 minutes vs. Arkansas. They may have won. As almost everyone has said "you don't want KC with the ball as he's better off the ball."
I was happy the ball was in his hands, and even after the first TO, I was happy again. And I bet almost no one said "oh no, Khadeen has the ball". And I bet if you asked the Ark coach and team, THEY wished the ball was in Madison's hands.

Really like Walker but no way should he start on an NCAA team poised to advance beyond the first weekend.

I also don't see any 5th-year transfer Seton Hall is involved with or Carrington as being that PG either.

That all may be true. And blame can be laid at the staff for having this team in this position. But reality is what it is. What choice is there? No way is this an ideal situation. The dream was Duval and Walker. But that's not reality.

And having Ish injured most all year and not matching his soph productions hurt us badly and probably cost us a game or two. Certainly the Stanford game was clearly winnable with Ish playing. Hell, we should have won it without him.

Bottom line, you play the cards dealt to you and don't look for excuses when we lose or when we win.

How many here have used the words no excuse when something negative occurred? Well, that works both ways.

You can't compare the two impacts. First, Ish missed some games but not most of the season. Second, Ish is not the best player or second best player in the team. I understand what you are saying but losing Watson for the year would be more akin to losing Delgado. Big difference.

Interesting that people have judged Walker as not being able to start freshman year. Well, let the kid compete and show you what he has. unless the Hall can bring in a damn good 5th year grad player, I think Walker will win the job.
He'll compete but it seems like only you and Artie think he'll win the job. If he comes that would be a monumental upset (for him to start). Let him play his way into the rotation without undue expectations. He's a good PG. A 3 star player who IMO is awful close to being a 4 star one.

You can't compare the two impacts. First, Ish missed some games but not most of the season. Second, Ish is not the best player or second best player in the team. I understand what you are saying but losing Watson for the year would be more akin to losing Delgado. Big difference.
I brought up a scenario where injuries most certainly cost us some games. And even when Ish played he often was a shell of himself. I would guess the injured Ish cost us 2, maybe 3 games this season.

Plus you were talking about SHU so we only played Creighton once with Watson injured.

That said, injuries are a part of the game and no one wants to hear about excuses. Isn't that what most here have to say when we have an issue?

Can't have it both ways. .

Any word on Ish's health? He needs to be more durability and flexible.

Any word on Ish's health? He needs to be more durability and flexible.
He's one tough SOB. If you ask him how he feels he never complains. It's always good. But especially later in the season he was hurting badly.

Fortunately he has spring, summer and fall to get better.

Curious how the staff goes about handling the current Duval situation. Do they ask him if he was at Duke and why in order to assess SHU's likelihood of landing him? Do they already know? Do they ask him to let them know his status so they can plan their recruitment accordingly? Or do they just sit tight, tell him the position is his if he wants it and wait it out while other PG prospects potentially slip away? It has to be tough to navigate this situation so that in the unfortunate event we lose Duval, the team still fills its needs with decent prospects.

That all may be true. And blame can be laid at the staff for having this team in this position. But reality is what it is. What choice is there? No way is this an ideal situation. The dream was Duval and Walker. But that's not reality.
You have no clue what position this team is in other than what you read in public media..which is frankly wrong.

Not so sure about that SPK (5th year)....

He'll compete but it seems like only you and Artie think he'll win the job. If he comes that would be a monumental upset (for him to start). Let him play his way into the rotation without undue expectations. He's a good PG. A 3 star player who IMO is awful close to being a 4 star one.

Not directed at Dan......Of course he will compete for the starting job but he should not start, if not expect about the same record as this year which will be disappointing. Besides Duval and one other (forgot his name but a decommit) we will not get a guy who will lead us possibly past the first two weeks depending on match-ups and where we play.

Nothing is over until it's over. Plus guys are still "weighing" options right now.

I don't understand how we keep Walker in the conversation. Didn't he say that is probably going to prep? I know that leaves the door open for 2017, but still.

Walker to Seton Hall makes SO much sense for both parties, I can't fathom that it won't happen.

Once the Duval situation is official or he flat out tells Willard it's 100% not happening, I think Walker to the Hall happens.

is Darrington completely out now? I guess more a 2 guard but looked like he could score. Seeing Memphis as likely spot or UT

About an hr ago.on Twitter someone college reporter said we only just reached out along with memphis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT