ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Rutgers....

The Barchi effect.

That guys has destroyed Rutgers sports.

Still going with what I posted over a 10 days ago, Steve Pikiell
Dan nailed it...until they get the leadership of RU straightened out, that's a toxic job. If he's staying, forget finding a good coach; if Hobbs is his successor, that's something to sell to a new HC, but unless that's guaranteed to the candidate, you're living in the land of "hopefully's and maybe's". It just limits your pool to guys at the end of their career or someone that doesn't value leadership (Gonzo?).

Stephen C. Pikiell is an American college basketball coach and the current head men's basketball coach at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. Pikiell's record is 95-117 through the 2011-12 season.

DH totally used RU which is not funny. He grinds them for money and then concludes that he will miss his players too much. Absolute BS.
Obviously, DH learned something in his business and theology classes. He may have also read The Art of the Deal after graduating. At least somebody did.

Stephen C. Pikiell is an American college basketball coach and the current head men's basketball coach at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. Pikiell's record is 95-117 through the 2011-12 season.
I remember a few lifetimes ago he played as a reserve at UConn.

Hey, Danny showed he learned something at The Hall by being smart enough to turn down the Rutgers job!

Not a surprise at all. And DH turning it down was something that I and many people saw coming. I honestly believe, RU's best coach decision would be the Stony Brook coach. I do not see a big splash being named. Otherwise, guys like Andy Toole (RM had a bad year but half the team were freshman) and Jim Engles from NJIT would be good choices. There are no home runs that RU can hit here.

I was shocked that Danny Hurley would even consider the RU job based on: (1) it being a career killer; (2) complete void of D1 talent except for Freeman and Sanders who have disciplinary issues; (3) decrepit facilities; and (4) the lack of support by the Administration.

They are so bad down there that this cycle could go on for years and years. The other programs in The Big won't let them up for air. And Seton Hall and St. John's have a big head start on them recruiting locals who want to stay home. Maybe they should join The Pat.

Rutgers should think outside the box.
They need someone with name recognition who loves college basketball.
Rutgers will always be very conscious of the need to be Politically correct.

Rutgers should hire Barack Obama, as he will need a new job soon and can probably help in recruiting.

Smart move by Dan. RU fans were already talking BS about him being too much like Rice. He doesn't need that.

It's their loss.

I still think the coach at Stoney Brook gets the job . RU is a very hard sell now the same way we were following the BG era and all the negative press that surrounded our program when BG was fired. I think that the biggest problem that RU faces is the perception that the school's President is luke warm on athletics and prospective candidates are turned off by that.
Granted we had our problems after Gonzo but we've NEVER been the hard sell that Rutgers is. Not even close!

Seems there's a good number on the RU board who think it was RU that went in a different direction and have a much bigger hire in mind.
They also think they matter in the world of big time sports. They're Rutgers, they're wrong...a lot!

I don't want to be the best team in NJ by default. I want to see the Prudential center rocking. I want to see the RAC rocking. I want ESPN, Fox and everybody and their mother talking about our OOC matchup with them. I want SHU and RU battling for 5 kids per year that are IW caliber. That would be fantastic IMO.
That battle should be between us and St. John's, with SJU finishing second, not Rutgers. Big East basketball and the Big East in general is the only thing that should matter in this area of the country!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT