ADVERTISEMENT

Providence lands 4 star PG

We have owned Providence the last two years. Seton Hall finished 3rd in the regular season two yrs ago along with winning the Big East Tournament Championship, finished tied for 3rd last season along with reaching the Big East Tournament Semi-Final losing at the very end to Villanova. Then have beat Providence 3 of last 4 head to head contests. We need to land Trevon Duval so we can own them again.

Reactions: hallwins
Great for Providence and the league.

Owned Friars? Friars have made 4 consecutive NCAA's, but just 1-4 there. Also won BET in 2014.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Sorry fellas, not comparing us with Prov, just wondering when, [and if] we are ever going to recruit a PG

Providence was 10-8, 20-12 , Seton Hall was 10-8 , 21-11 and we split with them this year. We reached the Big East Tournament Semi-Final, losing at the very end to Villanova. The year before we finished in 3rd place alone behind Villanova and Xavier and won the Big East Tournament Championship. We also swept Providence.

pirated is the clearest, meanest, most obvious troll on the board. His opinions don't represent "some of" anybody on here. He ONLY posts to shit talk Willard. *almost NOTHING else. So just ignore and move on.

Last edited:
pirated is the clearest, meanest, most obvious troll on the board. His opinions don't represent "some of" anybody on here. He ONLY posts to shit talk Willard. NOTHING else. So just ignore and move on.
I will take your advice.

didn't kno he was a troll, but still think Willard catches more than fair share of heat from some

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
My point of the post was that there are PG's out there and 4 star no less and they are still being landed. We need to close on Duval.

You guys do realize Willard has made 2 straight NCAA tournaments, had 2 straight 20+ win seasons, and is very likely going to have a pre-season top 25 team? I can only imagine what this board would be like if Seton Hall actually sucked, which is what it seems like every time I read this board

You guys do realize Willard has made 2 straight NCAA tournaments, had 2 straight 20+ win seasons, and is very likely going to have a pre-season top 25 team? I can only imagine what this board would be like if Seton Hall actually sucked, which is what it seems like every time I read this board

And we don't have 1 PG on roster... Let alone a 4 star top 50 PG who is willing to share time and sit behind a senior PG.

People are fed up with how some posters see the team in a constant negative...

And others are fed up with constant excuses why we lose so many players. People redshirt and ride the bench on every other team. But it's not possible at SHU. SHU can't get recruits until we win. Then we win and we can't get recruits because every top 200 recruit must start from day 1, apparently. Ish wasted a year rotting on the bench for no good reason because SHU is not allowed to redshirt players or else it is 100% guaranteed that they will transfer - but other schools redshirt players. Excuses get annoying and after a while they start to contradict each other.

Last edited:

I guess the part that bothers me is that with a competent point guard we could be a top 10-15 as opposed to top 25 team.....the fact that we have missed for many moons on a point guard is why people are upset.

Just my opinion, and as far as our staff goes, I like Willard and Sha, but the criticism/ concern about our PG situation and recruiting in general is more than justified. We may be looking at a 3rd straight NCAA appearance, but we also may be looking at a return to some dark days if we don't come up big with the class of '18. And that's ignoring the fact we will be hamstrung even next year if we don't get Duval or some random last minute savior at the PG position.

Reactions: deheremike
Unfortunately our recruiting is still very suspect. We need to start landing traditional four year players versus having to scramble and attain last minute grad transfers. Until we gain traction with good players who stay for four years, our program will be on an everlasting roller coaster ride.

Reactions: deheremike
Any unproven coach when hired is always going to have questions raised about his ability to build a successful program and it happened with PJ, Amaker, Orr and Willard and as time passes those questions tend to get answered some positively and some remain open questions and when there are open questions about a coach those questions are going to generate debate , discussion , support and criticism.

Being the head coach of a college basketball program will always center around the traditional " what have you done for me lately" philosophy and when coaches falter after having a highly successful run they tend to not only draw criticism but they get fired ala JT111.

Getting back to our own head coach , there is no denying that we've had two really good years and are poised to potentially have a third successive successful season. At the same time I have to agree that our recruiting remains an open question as for me as well especially at the PG and Power positions ( (PF &C) and keep coming back to our not having signed a PG coming out of HS in our last three classes although 2017 is not over yet.

Last edited:
So PC landed a 4 star PG that is going to sit behind Kyron Cartwright his Freshman year?

I thought no Top 200 recruits are willing to not start/play less than 30mpg their Frosh year. Especially PGs.

Wow.
This kid isn't going to Providence to sit. Providence doesn't have any good off-guards (we have 3). Ashton-Langford will start alongside Cartwright as a Freshman.

Makai Ashton-Langford

6-2, 185 | Class of 2017

Scout Grade 89
4 Star

10 POSITION
9 REGIONAL
1 STATE
36th
i

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/11/2017

Strengths:
Ashton-Langford is a playmaking lead guard who has a natural instinct for getting to the rim and smoothness to his game. He's long with a solid build, changes speeds very well, and can finish at all types of angles. He can create in isolations, ball-screens, and transition alike.

Weaknesses:
He's got to work to become a more consistent outside shooter and that begins with changing his mechanics. His feet are often crooked with a low release that he sometimes short-arms. Once he becomes a consistent shooter, he'll only become that much more effective of a driver.

Bottom Line:
Ashton-Langford is a young playmaker who is already able to be productive against a high level of competition but still has a good amount of untapped upside left to discover down the road.

NOTES
Travel Team: Mass Rivals...Decommitted from UConn in April 2017...

Not 100% sure, but didn't Aston-Langford commit to UCONN over PC. Then he committed and now just signed with PC. I think PC was recruiting him for awhile.

Not 100% sure, but didn't Aston-Langford commit to UCONN over PC. Then he committed and now just signed with PC. I think PC was recruiting him for awhile.
Yes, he got down to a final 3 of Louisville, UConn and PC. In the end he chose UConn closely over PC as he had grown up a huge Husky fan. Then crap starting hitting the fan at UConn, Glen Miller was fired after being at the school forever as an assistant and MAL had seen enough. Cooley had already established a great relationship with him and his folks and with the recent success of all of his PG's and how he lets them play, PC was certainly in the drivers seat and Cooley was able to close. As big as this is with next year it's even bigger for 2018 where Cooley has been hot and heavy for a trio of players that all look up to Makai. AJ Reeves, David Duke, and Cole Swider. IF Cooley was able to pull that trio it would be very similar to the Whitehead class at SHU.

So PC landed a 4 star PG that is going to sit behind Kyron Cartwright his Freshman year?

I thought no Top 200 recruits are willing to not start/play less than 30mpg their Frosh year. Especially PGs.

Wow.

Cooley likes to play 2 point guards Ashton-Langford will see plenty of minutes along with Cartwright and White . They also have Drew Edwards who was hurt last year who will see time.

The still-lingering concern with Willard, fair or not, is that he had to sell assistant coaching positions to get players to get to tournament (2x thus far, maybe 3x after next season) and that once those players are gone, the wins will dry up. Doubts will remain until he takes a team to the tournament after KC, AD, and DR graduate.

Okay ironlung, how do you suggest the staff close on Duval?
I think we need to do more of everything.
More leveraging the UA relationship. More working on the Myles Tre best friend aspect. More marketing by Fox. More on the Sha time at IMG within the NCAA guidelines. Just as much as we can possibly do. The possibility of a blue blood opening to the season which would be on national TV (see the trove) leveraging NY as the home of the winners in the spotlight. Post article on the coming season, which I believe they would do based on the coverage of the seasons end. We have to pull every stop out of the book that is legal, because I know that some of the other guys go beyond that line.

The still-lingering concern with Willard, fair or not, is that he had to sell assistant coaching positions to get players to get to tournament (2x thus far, maybe 3x after next season) and that once those players are gone, the wins will dry up. Doubts will remain until he takes a team to the tournament after KC, AD, and DR graduate.

Totally agree. Although Powell, Cale, and Nzei (he will be a senior the year after next, correct?) form a fantastic base. In my opinion, we just need a couple of pieces for continued success. I don't think the drop off will be as bad as people believe.

I think we need to do more of everything.
More leveraging the UA relationship. More working on the Myles Tre best friend aspect. More marketing by Fox. More on the Sha time at IMG within the NCAA guidelines. Just as much as we can possibly do. The possibility of a blue blood opening to the season which would be on national TV (see the trove) leveraging NY as the home of the winners in the spotlight. Post article on the coming season, which I believe they would do based on the coverage of the seasons end. We have to pull every stop out of the book that is legal, because I know that some of the other guys go beyond that line.
I'm sure this is news to the staff.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT