ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Are you satisfied with this season.

1. Third best record in the conference.
2. Semi finals losing a nail biter to the champion at the Garden.
3. 9th seed and close first round loss.

Considering we were 2-7 in conference at one point the season was certainly salvaged making the NCAA. Hard to be satisfied overall though particularly given the ending.

With our slow start, Ish missing games and not the same because of injury while waiting for Madison to come into his own. Making the dance and should have beat Arkansas...yes satisfied.
Plus playing with a short bench.

I thought the turnaround was impressive and fun to watch as a fan. Great coaching and tremendous grit by the players to come back and get into the NCAA tourney and finish strong in the Big East. Watching Angel's incredible season was really great! Also some of the incredible performances of our kids (like Khadeen scoring 41 vs. Creighton and Angel just missing a triple double) really made this season enjoyable.

I would have loved to get an NCAA win and hoped our recruiting would be a little better coming into the season especially at the PG position. I wanted just a little more but am satisfied by the efforts of the players and staff. It's helpful that we have a very positive outlook as a program too. Yes I am satisfied but I want that NCAA run again and am hopeful for some great recruits joining the Hall soon.

If the last two games weren't so crushing I'd say yes but it's hard to be satisfied losing in those manners.
I'm sure the players feel the same way totally unfinished business.

Anyone who says it wasn't a successful season is being unrealistic. First back 2 back tourney appearances since 93-94. Baby steps.

Are you satisfied with this season.

1. Third best record in the conference.
2. Semi finals losing a nail biter to the champion at the Garden.
3. 9th seed and close first round loss.

I'd have to say slightly disappointing, thought SHU could do better than that but still a successful season.

Reactions: shu09
I say it's minimally satisfying. I felt the goal this year was to make the NCAA, anything beyond that would be gravy. They met the minimum but the gravy boat was left empty. Consecutive one and dones in the NCAA is a bitter pill to swallow and not the least bit satisfying.

I'm sick of baby steps. One of these last two years should have been a Sweet Sixteen. That would be the bar I'd set for next year. A high finish in the league or making the finals/winning the league tourney would be great. But to me the NCAA is the place to shine the brightest.

I say it's minimally satisfying. I felt the goal this year was to make the NCAA, anything beyond that would be gravy. They met the minimum but the gravy boat was left empty. Consecutive one and dones in the NCAA is a bitter pill to swallow and not the least bit satisfying.

I'm sick of baby steps. One of these last two years should have been a Sweet Sixteen. That would be the bar I'd set for next year. A high finish in the league or making the finals/winning the league tourney would be great. But to me the NCAA is the place to shine the brightest.
This sums up my feelings as well.

Reactions: TomD82
I said top 6 in the conference and playing Friday night in the BET would be successful. I am not satisfied with how the season ended. IMO they should have beaten Arkansas.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Yes.

At 3-6 or whatever the hole was it was really not looking good. Too many years like that. To his great credit he and the team did a very solid job.

It meets my criterion of steady incremental improvement. So. Thumbs up for me.

Reactions: Section112
Satisfied.. Back to back 20 wins seasons and NCAA tournament appearances. Its something to build on and establish a culture of winning.. Also the development of Delgado after the previous year with Whitehead shows that the staff can develop talent into high quality players..

Reactions: Fishjam
Regarding baby steps, I would rather those with a sight toward continuing elevation Year over year than a dice roll.

This season was weird. Was content at the end of the regular season; disappointed in the first round exit.

I was impressed with the way the team bounced back from the slow BE start.

Can't say I was particularly satisfied, but all in all, I think the season was a success.

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
Have to say unsatisfied, though that should be qualified.

The league record, by the end, was good. I was also happy with the effort in the Big East Tournament. Going to the bitter end against the league's best team, one that was out to even the score for last year, was an effort that made me proud.

But, as I've maintained, it's all about the NCAAs. Those are the most important thing, and that is the place where you need to show progress. So, to me, that was about qualifying for a decent seed, one where we had at least an even shot of winning - say, 9 or above. So, check. And then coming out to play with some sense of awareness, like they had been there before. And they did that, too. There was none of the self-satisfaction that marred the prior year's experience. These guys learned from that and hit the ground running.

Ultimately, though, it's about winning. I said in the weeks leading up to that that I would gladly sacrifice an early outing in the BET to win a game in the NCAAs. So, I know this is drawing a hard line, but this was the line of delineation for me between successful and unsuccessful. The bit about making the NCAAs in consecutive years doesn't carry much water, either. It's really a ridiculously low bar, and it also doesn't let a season stand on its own merit, either.

This certainly wasn't a bad year; it just wasn't truly successful.

For a program that made its first tourney appearance in 10 years last year I think this season was a great success. Let's keep it rolling.

Yes, I of course wish we'd have advanced and gotten a shot at UNC or held on against Nova, but overall I thought that this was a 7-12 seed type team going into this season and that's where we ended up. We're set up to have a great season with Desi-KC-Delgado as seniors. It's time for Willard to put the necessary pieces in place around them and take it a step further.

Reactions: Section112
2 things you have to take into consideration about NCAA tournament is it is all about your draw, and a majority of the games are coin flip, nail bitters. With that in mind, last year we got an awful draw and this year we had the lead with under 2 mins to go. You can't ask for much more the ball just didn't bounce our way. With a break or two we could have been playing UNC in the national spotlight. Look at Syracuse last year, team barely got into the NCAA and got good draws and luck and rode it to the final 4.

Satisfied, technically yes. We checked all of the boxes. That said, I think we could have (and should have) done more.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
I certainly consider it a success. I'm not sure I would consider the second half of the season a "turnaround." I just think the first half of Big East play was significantly more difficult than the second half. Besides the Stanford stinker this team was fairly consistent. I try not to judge a season by tournament success. It's a fairly random process that depends on matchups, location, and timing. This was a solid team that lost a coin flip tournament game in the final minute, so it goes. In my opinion, this program is not to the point where it can lose its best player and not miss a beat. Willard and co. are building a resume where they no longer have to take risks on guys like Singh or Anderson.

This was a good season without doubt for me. The Big3 on the team all found
a way to lead us to some very important close wins. Beating Butler on the last
day of conference play was more than surprising. Getting to back to back NCAA's was
imperative to keeping local recruits in the fold. NBA talent in the future?

The most disappointing aspects of the season were how fundamentals killed us in
the Nova game at MSG and especially the last several minutes of the Arkansas NCAA game.

Let's see how this recruiting cycle plays out. If it does SHU is on their way back a legit
top 25 team moving forward.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
Satisfied, yes. It's a low bar. Hopefully, the team more than satisfies in the near future.

It was a successful season in the sense that we made the NCAA's after Whitehead left early.

Finishing 5th in the BE & getting a 9 seed in the NCAA tourney was disappointing.

I'm satisfied with the season, but would have like to seen us get that NCAA win monkey off our backs.

I felt we left some wins on the table that left a bad taste. Don't think we got everything out of the season we could have. Hard to put a finger on it.

One 'finger' I'd put on it is the lack of a real offensive system. We have some really talented kids who can create their own shots, but we rely on that almost exclusively. I'm not an X and O guy, but there's got to be some degree of structure we can put into our offense. After all, our coach is considered by many to be a very smart guy. He should be able to figure that out.

One 'finger' I'd put on it is the lack of a real offensive system. We have some really talented kids who can create their own shots, but we rely on that almost exclusively. I'm not an X and O guy, but there's got to be some degree of structure we can put into our offense. After all, our coach is considered by many to be a very smart guy. He should be able to figure that out.

I was surprised at how many teams seemed to play the same way in the tournament.

Considering we were 2-7 in conference at one point the season was certainly salvaged making the NCAA. Hard to be satisfied overall though particularly given the ending.

Honestly would have signed for this at season start. But the last 7 or so games made me want more. But I'm satisfied. Now get Angel back.

Reactions: Fishjam

I'd say that Angel is the most coachable. The rest not so much. Hence the offensive system issues. Willard needs a Copeland at least to really hum.

I was surprised at how many teams seemed to play the same way in the tournament.

Two things that we should remember from the tournament. 1) a lot of teams run offenses equally as painful to watch. 2) a lot of really good coaches run really crappy end of game plays.

Succesful in the sense that we want to be a perennial NCAA tournament team.

Disappointing overall. We would not have been an NCAA tournament team had Creighton and Xavier not lost their best player when we beat them the second time we played them. Yes I know injuries are part of the game but the Hall was fortunate in this respect. But I was hoping to take the next step and win a tournament game. Moreover, the free throw shooting was abysmal.

Disappointing thus far in terms of recruiting however, that can change quickly if Duval commits.

Preseason I predicted them 4th in BE and said getting an NCAA berth by any means would be a success. So by that standard I'm satisfied.

I was not happy with how we lost the 2 huge games vs Nova and Arkansas. Led late in both but our Big 3 and really our whole team just didn't make the plays at different times they needed to. To me a part of that is fatigue as I think our lack of depth and reliance on the big 3 may have caught up to us.

Very satisfied with the direction of the Program. Back to back NCAAs for first time in decades with potential for a 3rd. And if things break right could be a special season next year followed by a big 2018 class which would set us up beautifully for sustained success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT