ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when.....

You know who's a PG in that class, not ranked in the top 50 and lead his team to the Elite Eight and still is playing in the NBA?

If only Ty Shine would have thrown the ball to him.......Oh, what could have been..

If only Ty Shine would have thrown the ball to him.......Oh, what could have been..
hahaha that made me laugh, didnt realize Marcus was 30, he was solid but not 30 and yes if he only passed him the ball haha, Ty was a nice guy in person though, Eddie was too, that was my soph year at the hall

Amazing/unbelievable that this class only played in one NCAA tournament....as an 8 seed.

Dan
What I remember is you and I at a Converse sponsored tournament at SH when the rumor spread that Barrett had committed to us and I went up to Amaker and asked him if it was true and he said he couldn't talk about it but it was a very good day for SH.
I knew it was true because Chris Chavannes was there and he told me.

When I asked Amaker about Barrett his jaw dropped because everyone thought at that time he was going after 19. Taliek Brown.

I knew it was true because Chris Chavannes was there and he told me.

When I asked Amaker about Barrett his jaw dropped because everyone thought at that time he was going after 19. Taliek Brown.

If you remember you and I went to the little gym to see St. Anthony's play against a team ( and I can't remember which one ) to see a player on it that SH was interested in.

You know who's a PG in that class, not ranked in the top 50 and lead his team to the Elite Eight and still is playing in the NBA?
Not one guess??? With the three NYC PGs that year of Brown, Cook & Barrett in the top 20, it was Jaamer Nelson who I was thinking of.

Reactions: halltheway
This was before I even knew Seton Hall existed. Would love for the Hall to return to these times (the recruiting, not the aftermath)

List is fascinating to look back upon. Zach Randolph, #11, has had the best pro career. When everything shook out, the Big East had 4 of the top 9 players signed or verbally committed: Eddie, AB, Darius Miles (verbal to St. John's but went pro out of HS) and Omar Cook (St. John's). Add in #19 Taliek, the third of the "holy trinity" of NYC PG's who landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated as all went to Big East schools (obviously Uconn getting Brown).

Neil Fingleton was the 7 footer from the UK, I believe, who went to Carolina and never panned out. I believe Adam Boone also went to Carolina and was part of that same class (also never panned out).

Besides Randolph, not many of the top 50 had impact pro careers. A bunch of guys who stayed in the league for a while as role players and carved out nice careers, but weren't stars: Jeffries, Wallace, Duhon, Wilcox.

Neil Fingleton was the 7 footer from the UK, I believe, who went to Carolina and never panned out.

Possibly the most overrated HS player in the history of basketball. Maybe you can't teach height but that height better have an ounce of athletic ability or BB skills. He had neither.

BTW he was a little more than a 7 footer. He measured in at 7-6.

Yup that's right. And the Holy Trinity had very solid college careers, though Cook left after year 1, in which I think he either led the country in assists or was second. But none reached the level as pros that some thought.

Possibly the most overrated HS player in the history of basketball. Maybe you can't teach height but that height better have an ounce of athletic ability or BB skills. He had neither.

Apparently he had a career better suited for acting (e.g. Game of Thrones) than for basketball. Sadly, he passed away reportedly due to heart failure this past February (R.I.P.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Fingleton

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT