ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond has left the building

At least we have the scouting report on him. Cant shoot the 3, not very quick, gotta cross over to get by defender. Quick defender take the charge
I will miss Kadary but agree. Btw the bully ball is out of the bag and teams were able to somewhat defend it toward the end of the season. We have Prince that may be our answer (defend kadary) if he stays in the BE.

It is if you're not a nitwit. That's a beach house lol
If you increase your standard of living too much based one big payday, you end up worse off. It's actually a bit dangerous for a 20-something. Stability, a good support system including fatherly coaches and mentors, good friends, family, etc. are essential to know how to live and perhaps manage a big one-time payday. Kadary would have been better off taking a few hundred thousand less than going for the gold, in my opinion. It may work out for him but it's a near occasion of trouble for any young person to get a huge payday.

With Kadary, who as of now doesn't apparently have the skills to make the NBA, a summer with a shooting coach and a huge number of shooting reps would be a better investment than entering the portal. He can do that in his new home but there will be a lot of adjustments.

The NBA is a different game then the last time Pitino got a guy to the league
Agree. Pitino has lost his edge.

I'd like to know which player from SJU will be drafted this season. SJU will do what SJU has done over the last 4 or 5 years, recruit well and underperform. Chemistry wins championships and you're not going to get the highest paid players to gel when they have one season to prove themselves.

Agree. Pitino has lost his edge.

I'd like to know which player from SJU will be drafted this season. SJU will do what SJU has done over the last 4 or 5 years, recruit well and underperform. Chemistry wins championships and you're not going to get the highest paid players to gel when they have one season to prove themselves.
100% disagree on Pitino. That's the kool-aid and PDS talking.

Go ask Donovan Mitchell or 50 other guys what Pitino mean to their career as basketball players.

Look no further than two kids he had at Iona, Walter Clayton and Daniss Jenkins. No-nothing recruits. Clayton just came off dropping 40 in the NCAA and had a great year with the Gators. Exploring NBA options and will get a major bag to stay at Florida if he returns. Jenkins was second team All Big East and has some legitimate professional options.

I don't think he ends up at St. John's for various reasons. But its crazy-talk to say that a kid who wants to get better at basketball is making a mistake by playing for Rick Pitino.

100% disagree on Pitino. That's the kool-aid and PDS talking.
Legit question: What year was the last time a Pitino player has been drafted in the first two rounds of the NBA draft?

If Pitino hasn't had a player drafted in the recent past, history means nothing other than the coach may be washed up. With major bucks filling his sails Pitino is doing so-so at best.

I did find this info: "At five collective collegiate coaching stops, Pitino has coached 29 players who were drafted or have played in the NBA, five of whom are active players. His 1996 NCAA Championship Kentucky team featured seven future NBA performers." Almost one quarter of Pitino's total NBA players came in one season 28 years ago.

Pitino's been coaching D-1 ball for 32 years.

Last edited:
Legit question: What year was the last time a Pitino player has been drafted in the first two rounds of the NBA draft?

I don't know the answer.
My guess is Donovan Mitchell and if anyone else got drafted that year.

But remember he went to Greece after the Louisville blow-up and then Iona.

Reactions: chickenbox
My guess is Donovan Mitchell and if anyone else got drafted that year.

But remember he went to Greece after the Louisville blow-up and then Iona.
I think you’re right. Mitchell was a consensus top 45 player coming out of high school

I think you’re right. Mitchell was a consensus top 45 player coming out of high school
Yes. And credits Pitino with turning around his jump shot to make him a legitimate top tier NBA star. If your selling point is Donovan Mitchell -- a player made to play in today's NBA -- it is a damn good selling point. We aren't talking about Antoine Walker lol.

Reactions: shupat08

If Pitino hasn't had a player drafted in the recent past, history means nothing other than the coach may be washed up. With major bucks filling his sails Pitino is doing so-so at best.

I did find this info: "At five collective collegiate coaching stops, Pitino has coached 29 players who were drafted or have played in the NBA, five of whom are active players. His 1996 NCAA Championship Kentucky team featured seven future NBA performers." Almost one quarter of Pitino's total NBA players came in one season 28 years ago.

Pitino's been coaching D-1 ball for 32 years.
He had 7 on one team. So what?

You are right though. Why sell Donovan Mitchell when you can sell Doug Edert?

Reactions: shupat08
He had 7 on one team. So what?

You are right though. Why sell Donovan Mitchell when you can sell Doug Edert?
Rick Pitino's last NBA player was drafted 7 years ago. He doesn't get the recruits he's getting with SJU because of his reputation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll make my early season prediction and you can throw it in my face next April, Rick Pitino will underperform in 2024/25. Chemistry is more important than in the past, and Rick ain't going to be able to make it happen.

We only differ in the opinion that Rick has juice, you say he has it and I say he lost it.

Rick Pitino's last NBA player was drafted 7 years ago. He doesn't get the recruits he's getting with SJU because of his reputation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll make my early season prediction and you can throw it in my face next April, Rick Pitino will underperform in 2024/25. Chemistry is more important than in the past, and Rick ain't going to be able to make it happen.

We only differ in the opinion that Rick has juice, you say he has it and I say he lost it.
I agree with you on chemistry, and I agree with you risk of underperformance is a huge issue whenever you bring in new players in this crazy world. And I wouldn’t “throw anything in your face”. I get this is defcon now with the prospect of Richmond going there, but remember I’m the guy who donated $250 to the organization you and your daughter are involved in, despite not knowing you. It doesn’t need to be personal. I’m just stating I think is a pretty uncontroversial opinion.

If you don’t think kids still want to play basketball for Rick Pitino because he’s an all time coach, we just agree to disagree.

At the end of the day, water is wet though, whether we like it or not.

I actually used to really like Pitino. I’m kinda indifferent now.

He isn’t the coach he used to be. Is he still good? Seems to be.

But with Hurley, Miller, McDermott, Smart I don’t think Pitino is anywhere near those guys these days.

If you increase your standard of living too much based one big payday, you end up worse off. It's actually a bit dangerous for a 20-something. Stability, a good support system including fatherly coaches and mentors, good friends, family, etc. are essential to know how to live and perhaps manage a big one-time payday. Kadary would have been better off taking a few hundred thousand less than going for the gold, in my opinion. It may work out for him but it's a near occasion of trouble for any young person to get a huge payday.

With Kadary, who as of now doesn't apparently have the skills to make the NBA, a summer with a shooting coach and a huge number of shooting reps would be a better investment than entering the portal. He can do that in his new home but there will be a lot of adjustments.

I don’t know if I could honestly blame someone for turning down 300-400k for playing one year of college basketball, even if he did go or our hated rival. Especially if he is not going to the NBA.

With that said, Kadary is going to now play at his third school for his fourth head coach in five years. This was the first year where he returned to a coach he had played for the year before and operated in that system for two straight years. It’s not a question of talent, but it’s fair to ask if Kadary is giving up something valuable in stability to get a bag.

Wow. Pretty surprising. Particularly for a player posters here thought should go back to Syracuse at various points (perhaps even this season?).
Just didn’t expect it to be a top headline. Not sure if you are implying that I am one of those posters. Just to cover my bases, I can assure you that I wasn’t one of those people. Most likely I voiced my frustration with his injury and consistency issues two or three times but that was probably the extent of it. There may have also been a few “we would have won if Richmond played” type posts, but then again a lot of people here did that.

Just didn’t expect it to be a top headline. Not sure if you are implying that I am one of those posters. Just to cover my bases, I can assure you that I wasn’t one of those people. Most likely I voiced my frustration with his injury and consistency issues two or three times but that was probably the extent of it. There may have also been a few “we would have won if Richmond played” type posts, but then again a lot of people here did that.
Nope. I was legit surprised to see it on the homepage. And thought it pretty impressive he's the most-valued player in the portal. I don't keep detailed track of who has the dopey takes like wishing KR back to SU or Dawes not being a D1 player. I just know there are a few.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Nope. I was legit surprised to see it on the homepage. And thought it pretty impressive he's the most-valued player in the portal. I don't keep detailed track of who has the dopey takes like wishing KR back to SU or Dawes not being a D1 player. I just know there are a few.
No worries, just checking. I recall seeing some of those posts too.

Reactions: chickenbox
I’ll prepare you for next season. You have a better shot at winning the lottery than finding players who care about the fans. Don’t think for a second the players who suit up for us care about the fans.
And with the way it is now why would they? Just get yours every year, that’s the mindset. You’re not going to be there to build relationships or legacy.

And even if they love the place they’re on for a year when someone comes at them for $200k more then what? Theyre not staying for love.

Eventually the coaches will burn out from this too.

We need to think out of the box and not follow the herd.
With the current administration, we don’t lead, we don’t even follow, we just sit and watch while trying to convince everyone else that we are actually doing something.

I'm sure the players will appreciate the fans who cheer them wherever they play. Just like pro athletes do.

I understand fans are upset about the big changes that are happening across the sport these past few years. I am too. I'm just not lashing out like a jilted lover at players who are doing what most others in their situation would also do

Reactions: Merge and Piratz
I agree with you on chemistry, and I agree with you risk of underperformance is a huge issue whenever you bring in new players in this crazy world. And I wouldn’t “throw anything in your face”. I get this is defcon now with the prospect of Richmond going there, but remember I’m the guy who donated $250 to the organization you and your daughter are involved in, despite not knowing you. It doesn’t need to be personal. I’m just stating I think is a pretty uncontroversial opinion.

If you don’t think kids still want to play basketball for Rick Pitino because he’s an all time coach, we just agree to disagree.

At the end of the day, water is wet though, whether we like it or not.
I think if it is SJU it’s because in part he believes Pitino can help get him to the NBA.

I hope Shaheen can pull a few rabbits out of his hat. Middleton is a very nice pick up but we literally need an entire team at this point.

looks like all that fundraising and begging the fans went for naught.

What happens to the fundraising totals when donation fatigue and on court play goes downhill. We’ll really get/retain nobody.

No chance Shaheen turns down a big name school after next year if they come calling.

I hope Shaheen can pull a few rabbits out of his hat. Middleton is a very nice pick up but we literally need an entire team at this point.

looks like all that fundraising and begging the fans went for naught.

What happens to the fundraising totals when donation fatigue and on court play goes downhill. We’ll really get/retain nobody.

No chance Shaheen turns down a big name school after next year if they come calling.
Well that was uplifting…

The truth hurts. We can’t survive putting together entirely new rosters every year.
At this rate, every major team is going to have to.

All of this breaches any trust between a coach and a player.

One year contracts are what we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT