ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's Game

shu09

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
I don't know how the rest of you feel but I look at this game as a tipping point. If we win this game, it does a number of things: 1) gets us back to .500, 2) gives us another road win, 3) keeps the resume clean with no sub-100 losses, 4) keeps the momentum going.

While they're all important, #4 is what I'm focusing on. This time of year, the home stretch of the season, is about who wants it more. Each team is dealing with nagging injuries and other issues, it's about who can put that all aside, step up and win games. At this point, I don't care if we win every game by one point, just win. If we lose this game, it makes it incredibly difficult to regroup and make a run at the NCAA's, even with the quality win opportunities still ahead of us. I fear a loss on Saturday would take the wind out of our sails.

It would show me a lot of the team can regroup after the last two grinders and get this win. That would be 3-for-3 in a crucial stretch and lead them into another stretch where they can lock up a bid. If we win on Saturday, we have a real chance to turn this into an extended, season-saving winning streak. I am so excited for the three consecutive home games to come. We have a good chance to win all three (yes, even Villanova). This will be our chance to cement a bid. But first, let's get this win on Saturday and keep the ball rolling.

This is a big game, but I wouldn't call it a tipping point. We could win this one and lose the next 2. We need to survive until we can get Ish back, Desi and Gordon get over their illness. A win on Saturday is not going to be easy, while we cruised to a win at home, St. Johns clearly found out they can press us in the last 10 minutes cutting a 24 point lead to a 12 point lead with all of our main rotation players in the game. They will press us, hopefully we can handle it.

I don't know how the rest of you feel but I look at this game as a tipping point. If we win this game, it does a number of things: 1) gets us back to .500, 2) gives us another road win, 3) keeps the resume clean with no sub-100 losses, 4) keeps the momentum going.

While they're all important, #4 is what I'm focusing on. This time of year, the home stretch of the season, is about who wants it more. Each team is dealing with nagging injuries and other issues, it's about who can put that all aside, step up and win games. At this point, I don't care if we win every game by one point, just win. If we lose this game, it makes it incredibly difficult to regroup and make a run at the NCAA's, even with the quality win opportunities still ahead of us. I fear a loss on Saturday would take the wind out of our sails.

It would show me a lot of the team can regroup after the last two grinders and get this win. That would be 3-for-3 in a crucial stretch and lead them into another stretch where they can lock up a bid. If we win on Saturday, we have a real chance to turn this into an extended, season-saving winning streak. I am so excited for the three consecutive home games to come. We have a good chance to win all three (yes, even Villanova). This will be our chance to cement a bid. But first, let's get this win on Saturday and keep the ball rolling.
I agree. Huge game. Sju has a bad record, but they can do some damage. .500 again would be terrific.

Could not agree more, shu09. A HUGE swing game between 6-6 and 5-7. At 6-6 we will have regained our footing and be in position to get excited to take 3 cracks at ranked teams, all at home.

It has been tough for us all year. Saturday will be a battle.

Amen! I'm concerned about the minutes after two OT games and a tough schedule ahead. The Johnnies are playing much better as well and will be ready for us. Mental toughness will win this game for us.

Reactions: halltheway
What happened in the Garden last year--a 2nd half collapse and 1 point win--still haunts me. We need to play with fire. If we get a big lead, we need to nail the coffin shut!

I could not believe that was happening as I was sitting there in the arena that day. We had played so well in the first half and let them right back into it by taking our foot off the gas. Was so relieved to get that win.

Reactions: garyshu71
I completely agree as well. With the Creighton-Nova-Xavier home stand to follow, it seems very difficult to get to 9-9 or 10-8 without somehow coming out of MSG with a W. Losing 5 of 6 has put The Hall in this situation, but still time to play out of it.

I really think The Hall can pull off W's against Creighton and Xavier at home, won't be easy, but I think it's doable. Losing Saturday gives really no margin for error the rest of the way.

We did that often last year. Especially at MSG, lol. We blew what, a 17-point lead to Creighton and 14-point lead to Villanova in the BET? Xavier nearly came back on us too.

Remember the emotions after that game last year?

I have a feeling our heart is going to be in our throat again on Saturday.

St. John's plays up-tempo, flies at you all game with their athleticism, and has really hit the 3PT shot well in conference play. They will have had a week off before we play them, just like Providence did.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Need a great turn out . These guys love to play in front of their fans. Let's start owning these games in MSG.

Mentally, getting back to .500 in the conference and putting ourselves in position to make a push for the NCAAs would be huge. I'm worried a loss Saturday would kill our momentum and confidence.

Lets take care of business Saturday and keep this thing rolling.

Reactions: shupat08
I have a different take. I think we won the two biggest games of these 3. Don't get me wrong, I understand the slim margin for error, but I think we can withstand a loss at St johns and still be able to recover and play well the rest of the way. A loss to Providence at home would habe been a disaster. But, let's just win on Saturday anyway.

Reactions: halltheway
I have a different take. I think we won the two biggest games of these 3. Don't get me wrong, I understand the slim margin for error, but I think we can withstand a loss at St johns and still be able to recover and play well the rest of the way. A loss to Providence at home would habe been a disaster. But, let's just win on Saturday anyway.

That's a fair point but St. John's is an RPI killer. A loss to PC would have hurt our RPI because it was at home but PC is well within the top 100. SJU is not.

That's a fair point but St. John's is an RPI killer. A loss to PC would have hurt our RPI because it was at home but PC is well within the top 100. SJU is not.

Fair enough. I was talking more about the psyche of the team. Also, if we beat Xavier, Creighton and some others, the RPI will bounce back. We will need some RPI attractive wins in order to get off the bubble anyway.

Every game is huge from here on in, but you really want to to win what should be the winnable games. It's a concerning game because we're likely to be without Ish again, and we need to defend St. John;s away from the basket to be able to win the game.

A loss to SJU would be a very bad loss for a plethora of reasons.
I agree. I normally agree with 09, but I don't see the SJU game as the tipping point. I see the Creighton game as a tipping point. I think SJU is a must win to avoid a bad loss. I think being 6-6 going into the Creighton game is gigantic. Winning the Creighton game allows the Nova game to be a house money game. Going into Nova 6-7 almost makes it a must win. We need to get a signature win against Creighton or Nova.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Amen! I'm concerned about the minutes after two OT games and a tough schedule ahead. The Johnnies are playing much better as well and will be ready for us. Mental toughness will win this game for us.
If I was the coach, very little practice....just shooting..mainly foul shots...some videos and walk thru game plan. Give them as much physical rest and bring a lot of mental game.

Angel inside, Angel inside, Angel inside, Angel inside...Nzei, Desi and others on the glass. Guards driving to the tin to create rebounding opportunities.

If I was the coach, very little practice....just shooting..mainly foul shots...some videos and walk thru game plan. Give them as much physical rest and bring a lot of mental game.

this is a big game. positively surprised by the responses to the OG post, based on how many posters have called previous games "must wins"

We need to play a solid game and win. Time to create separation
from the teams behind us.

I hate the SJU road game whether it's at MSG or Alumni. We usually
have some type of lead and then it turns in to a dogfight. Thank
goodness IW made that play last year and enabled us to win. I still
can't get the picture out of my mind of Anthony Mason Jr. hitting like
27 straight jumpers in a row against us. We always seem to get caught
up in a strange SJU "energy" debacle.

Do not let them drive in for easy baskets. Keep them on the perimeter
and limit their very good shooters.

We have to get our offensive production in to the mid 70's.

Maybe "we" can withstand a loss in this game, but I can't. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT