ADVERTISEMENT

Sha and other schools of interest

mga pirate

All Big East
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2002
Heard he will be on short list for Louisville...eventually if he keeps outperforming with what he has a school gonna swoop in with a major offer. Hope he stays a long time but if he has a bad yr or two cause we can't get players, then those offers gonna dry up.

So a homegrown player/coach who bleeds Pirate Blue and has delivered two NIT bids is now a potential flight risk.
So I agree with this. But let’s say Sha did not attend seton hall. And after the SPU run, he would have had some legit offers such as a Louisville or other Power 6 schools who wanted him. These coaching jobs are about climbing the ladder and getting to a power 6 school after you have the success at a mid major.

So a homegrown player/coach who bleeds Pirate Blue and has delivered two NIT bids is now a potential flight risk.

If there is one coach in America who would stay at Seton Hall after several years of success, it's Sha.
The school will of course need to pay appropriately when (not if - I'm bullish) it gets to that point, but he will have earned it.

So I agree with this. But let’s say Sha did not attend seton hall. And after the SPU run, he would have had some legit offers such as a Louisville or other Power 6 schools who wanted him. These coaching jobs are about climbing the ladder and getting to a power 6 school after you have the success at a mid major.
Yup I get your point, but he is SHU Blue with a great salary and essentially job security for 25 years. Now if you’re saying we need an NIL budget north of $3M each year that’s a different story and Felt/McBride need to figure that out.

Louisville just spends crazy money. After the scandal and now Payne, Louisville just pays coaches to leave.

Reactions: TomD82
in no way shape or form do I want Sha to leave. But man that would stick it to Willard that his understudy got KWs dream job

Reactions: Gritty5837
As much as I like him and glad we have him, "job security for 25 years" will depend on winning. Another NIT season could dull the shine on the apple.

Always plan for everything. He showed himself incredibly well this year, I don't want him to leave at all but in this day & age nothing surprises me.

The adjustment I would make is hiring a HC with a lower salary and using surplus money on assistant pool and NIL.

As much as I like him and glad we have him, "job security for 25 years" will depend on winning. Another NIT season could dull the shine on the apple.
If we don’t want another NIT then we need to give Sha the resources he needs. That means we need to pony up NIL money. Can’t send a guy to a gun fight with a water pistol and then blame him when he gets shot.

Always plan for everything. He showed himself incredibly well this year, I don't want him to leave at all but in this day & age nothing surprises me.

The adjustment I would make is hiring a HC with a lower salary and using surplus money on assistant pool and NIL.
NIL money can’t come from the university.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Heard he will be on short list for Louisville...eventually if he keeps outperforming with what he has a school gonna swoop in with a major offer. Hope he stays a long time but if he has a bad yr or two cause we can't get players, then those offers gonna dry up.
This is a thing?

Sha should get looks. The guy can coach. And getting this roster to 13-7 in the BE and a fluke upset week away from the NCAA Tournament is amazing work.

Reactions: SHUSA

I doesn't work that way. The school cannot fund NIL.

You can’t direct any official funds to NIL nor is the school allowed to be involved with fundraising for it, only providing guidance to the player on where to go find it.

The schools, conferences, NCAA, and everyone else gets to keep their gravy train intact and simply created a new “market” for the players to get paid without losing their cherished money. So it’s pay-4-play under this NIL guise.

You can’t direct any official funds to NIL nor is the school allowed to be involved with fundraising for it, only providing guidance to the player or where to go find it.

The schools, conferences, NCAA, and everyone else gets to keep their gravy train intact and simply created a new “market” for the players to get paid without freaking their cherished money.
so can someone educate me (us) on how this actually works.

Schools have NIL (endorsements etc) and Collectives (Funds to pay players) programs that are run thru the school but the schools cannot fund them. correct ?

now who decides what the school or these programs pay the player? Felt? McBride ? not the coach but obviously he is telling them who he wants etc.

So a player is to go to Felt and others and says he can you help me and/or this is my asking price?

It's painful enough to be unjustly on the sidelines as March Madness begins. Do we have to bring up this crap now? Please!

so can someone educate me (us) on how this actually works.

Schools have NIL (endorsements etc) and Collectives (Funds to pay players) programs that are run thru the school but the schools cannot fund them. correct ?

now who decides what the school or these programs pay the player? Felt? McBride ? not the coach but obviously he is telling them who he wants etc.

So a player is to go to Felt and others and says he can you help me and/or this is my asking price?
Who knows what goes on behind the scenes on how the transaction is executed, how it’s budgeted, how it’s negotiated. We’ll never know. And any attempt to put in control has been shot down in courts.

I think this remains the policy on what a school can do. It’s from 2022:

Permissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules Impermissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules

• Engage NIL entity to inform SAs of NIL opportunities.

• Engage NIL entity to administer a marketplace that matches SAs with NIL opportunities without involvement of institution.

• Provide information to SAs about opportunities that institution has become aware of (transmit information without further involvement).

• Provide SA contact information and other directory information to NIL entity (e.g., Collectives and others seeking to engage SAs).

• Provide stock, stored photo/video/graphics to a SA or NIL entity.

• Introduce SA to representatives of NIL entity.

• Arrange space for NIL entity and SA to meet on campus or in institution’s facilities.

• Promote SA’s NIL activity, provided there is no value or cost to the institution (e.g., retweeting or liking a social media post).

• Promote SA’s NIL activity on paid platform provided SA or NIL entity is paying going rate for advertisement (e.g., NIL entity pays for advertisement on video board).

• Purchase items related to a SA’s NIL deal that are de minimis in value and for the same rate available for the general public.

Impermissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules

• Communicate with NIL entity regarding specific SA request/demand for compensation (e.g., SA needs X dollars in NIL money) or encouragement for NIL entity to fulfill SA’s request.

• Proactively assist in the development/creation, execution or implementation of a SA’s NIL activity (e.g., develop product, develop promotional materials, ensure SA performance of contractual NIL activities) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.

• Provide services (other than education) to support NIL activity (e.g., graphics designer, tax preparation, contract review, etc.) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.

• Provide access to equipment to support NIL activity (e.g., cameras, graphics software, computers, etc.) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.

• Allow SA to promote their NIL activity while on call for required athletically related activities (e.g., practice, pre- and postgame activities, celebrations on the court, press conferences).

I don’t think Sha would want to leave but eventually his hand may be forced. This is his career and unless he’s given the tools to compete he could self torpedo his career by staying put.

It’s the equivalent of being an accountant but your employer can’t provide a computer. How long you gonna stay employed like that?

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes on how the transaction is executed, how it’s budgeted, how it’s negotiated. We’ll never know. And any attempt to put in control has been shot down in courts.

I think this remains the policy on what a school can do. It’s from 2022:

Permissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules Impermissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules

• Engage NIL entity to inform SAs of NIL opportunities.

• Engage NIL entity to administer a marketplace that matches SAs with NIL opportunities without involvement of institution.

• Provide information to SAs about opportunities that institution has become aware of (transmit information without further involvement).

• Provide SA contact information and other directory information to NIL entity (e.g., Collectives and others seeking to engage SAs).

• Provide stock, stored photo/video/graphics to a SA or NIL entity.

• Introduce SA to representatives of NIL entity.

• Arrange space for NIL entity and SA to meet on campus or in institution’s facilities.

• Promote SA’s NIL activity, provided there is no value or cost to the institution (e.g., retweeting or liking a social media post).

• Promote SA’s NIL activity on paid platform provided SA or NIL entity is paying going rate for advertisement (e.g., NIL entity pays for advertisement on video board).

• Purchase items related to a SA’s NIL deal that are de minimis in value and for the same rate available for the general public.

Impermissible under Interim Policy/NCAA Rules

• Communicate with NIL entity regarding specific SA request/demand for compensation (e.g., SA needs X dollars in NIL money) or encouragement for NIL entity to fulfill SA’s request.

• Proactively assist in the development/creation, execution or implementation of a SA’s NIL activity (e.g., develop product, develop promotional materials, ensure SA performance of contractual NIL activities) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.

• Provide services (other than education) to support NIL activity (e.g., graphics designer, tax preparation, contract review, etc.) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.

• Provide access to equipment to support NIL activity (e.g., cameras, graphics software, computers, etc.) unless the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students.
no
• Allow SA to promote their NIL activity while on call for required atholetically related activities (e.g., practice, pre- and postgame activities, celebrations on the court, press conferences).
Thanks, Piratz and Pirates 1991:

Does anyone at the university have to know how much a player "earns" either from the Collective or the school-directed NIL connection? At a big state university like UCONN or Rutgers what is the percentage of NIL dollars as compared to Collective dollars in the entire pot? Collective?

Also, can a player negotiate a deal with sponsor independent of the university? Could Kadary, for example, enter a deal with Nike without it being set-up by the college?

Thanks.

No chance - Sha will be here for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I don’t think Sha would want to leave but eventually his hand may be forced. This is his career and unless he’s given the tools to compete he could self torpedo his career by staying put.

It’s the equivalent of being an accountant but your employer can’t provide a computer. How long you gonna stay employed like that?
Sha has the passion for Seton Hall and the incredible drive as a person to make it successful. But it’s a tough road man. It’s a lot of work. Look at how we’re scrambling here to get even a league-average NIL. Year after year someone has to go through this while also trying to gel and coach up a brand new roster. Yeah I know it goes on everywhere and SHU has always been under-resourced, but some of the rules that helped provide us leverage in the past (transfer rules) are gone. That makes it tougher than just NIL alone. I’m not sure why they had to go nuts with the transferring.

Or like someone who gets in on the ground floor at a company and goes through all the pain of growing with it, loves it, identifies with it, has pride in it and leaves their mark on it, has defined their life in many ways. Then some big corporation comes in with all the perks and resources they never had.

When he took this job he more than anyone else knew the issues. We are never going to be more than league average when it comes to $$$. Will be ultra important to spend every dollar wisely.

Sha has the passion for Seton Hall and the incredible drive as a person to make it successful. But it’s a tough road man. It’s a lot of work. Look at how we’re scrambling here to get even a league-average NIL. Year after year someone has to go through this while also trying to gel and coach up a brand new roster. Yeah I know it goes on everywhere and SHU has always been under-resourced, but some of the rules that helped provide us leverage in the past (transfer rules) are gone. That makes it tougher than just NIL alone. I’m not sure why they had to go nuts with the transferring.

Or like someone who gets in on the ground floor at a company and goes through all the pain of growing with it, loves it, identifies with it, has pride in it and leaves their mark on it, has defined their life in many ways. Then some big corporation comes in with all the perks and resources they never had.
I get the allure of big money…but I would be stunned…absolutely stunned…if Sha left this early in his tenure at his “dream job” ( his words).

If he doesn’t get the support he needs after say 5 years, then think he’d have a legit reason to leave, saying the resources just weren’t available here.

But now?

I think his legacy would take a huge hit…I just don’t see it

I’d be surprised that Louisville coming off a gamble that failed miserably and historically with Kenny Payne would pay a coach with Sha’s resume anything close to what was stated, or frankly that he would be on the short list at all. That’s no knock on Sha either.

Guy has never really left the area and barely wanted to leave St. Peter’s, I don’t see him leaving unless forced.

Reactions: SHUSource
i mean, this year should have been ncaa and that's something to pay attention to. legit BECOY candidate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT