ADVERTISEMENT

SNY crew excusing Pete Alonso’s boorish actions, poor play

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Phil Mushnick

The presumption of innocence has been lost to the presumption of ignorance.

We don’t ask for much beyond being treated as reasonably intelligent. But that has become too much to ask. It doesn’t matter what we know, see or hear, we’re to believe only what we’re told to believe.

At the close of last Wednesday’s Mets telecast on SNY, boastful Pete Alonso proudly hollered his trademark obscenity, “Let’s f—ing go Mets!” into SNY’s and Citi Field’s microphones. Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez pretended that never happened. Not even a “Gee, that was unfortunate,” or a single, “I wish Pete would cut that out. It looks bad on him.”

Or even, “I love when he does that!”

And again, we were too stupid to hear or see what we couldn’t miss and what was designed by Alonso not to be missed.

Last Friday on SNY, Alonso quit on a sinking liner he hit to Cleveland Guardians shortstop Amed Rosario. After Rosario dropped the ball Alonso was still easily thrown out at first.

It was that simple: Alonso “thought” the ball would be caught. Instead of standing at first, he returned to the dugout.

Darling.Cohen_.Hernandez.jpg

Left to right: Ron Darling, Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez keep excusing Pete Alonso’s poor behavior and lazy play on the field, The Post’s Phil Mushnick writes.
SNY

It was bad presumptive baseball. Obviously.

But Cohen and Ron Darling then began to rationalize and excuse it for Alonso while speaking to us:

Cohen: “It’s a natural reaction when you see the ball go right to the fielder to stop running.”

Then Darling, who moments before praised the Mets’ “never say die” approach to highest-tier professional baseball, further challenged us to believe only what we’re told:

“It’s a natural reaction. Rosario makes that catch 99 times out of 100.”

So Alonso chose to play the odds instead of baseball?

Darling: “The play appears to be over.”

Cohen: “It’s over.”

Darling: “It’s over but it’s not over.”

So stop the nonsense. The indefensible was decorated and sold to us as something else. Postgame even Alonso said his base running was inexcusable.

Sunday, with Gary Sanchez — released Thursday — making his Mets debut, Cohen and Darling only addressed his ups and downs as a hitter. At no point did they address what we knew:

Sanchez, as deficient a catcher as most of us have ever seen, has spent half his career chasing passed balls. For crying out loud, the Yankees hired a catching tutor just for him, a waste of time and money.

But this impossible-to-ignore reality was ignored. At least until Tuesday when Sanchez allowed a passed ball — he escaped culpability for two pitches that were registered as wild pitches — and did the Dance of the Clueless in the vicinity of a pop foul he missed by several feet.

Another case of believing what we’re told rather than what we see:

Tuesday, Anthony Rizzo was demonstrably upset when he was called out looking.

On YES, Paul O’Neill, who reflexively blames umps for close calls against the Yankees, said Rizzo had a legit gripe.

On Yankee radio, Suzyn Waldman made more applied sense. She looked at a replay then said the ump had likely made a good call.

Bottom line: The pitch to Rizzo, as seen on YES, landed on the outside edge of that confounded superimposed strike-zone box. We couldn’t miss it. Thus, if team announcers are going to ignore that box or doubt its legitimacy, what is it doing on our screens all game, every game!?

Hit link for more

Okay, what's his point? He's crying that the SNY crew isn't talking about what he wants them to? And then that 2 different Yankee broadcasts has different takes on a borderline pitch? I mean, who cares? He just whines and never makes a legitimate point about... anything. Just an embarrassing piece of writing by Mushnick.

Last edited:
Reactions: stipe65
Okay, what's his point? He's crying that the SNY crew isn't talking about what he wants then to? And then that 2 different Yankee broadcasts has different takes on a borderline pitch? I mean, who cares? He just whines and never makes a legitimate point about... anything. Just an embarrassing piece of writing by Mushnick.
You clearly don’t understand the point..

Reactions: HALL85
Mushnick. LOL.

Men curse. Announcers miss stuff. Sometimes they are homers, and dont criticize the home team enough. Big deal. I remember Mel Allen calling games when he was clearly half in the bag.

I wonder if we are reading the first draft of that story a PM came up with in real time. No more worthless sports writer than him if you ask me. He has had that jobs for ages so I guess I am in the minority.

Well someone might as well respond to the article. I can't stand Alonso as a player. He does one thing good. He hits homeruns. Other than that, he's not major league quality at any other aspect of the game. Good hitters don't bat under .250, strikes out a lot, doesn't run well, doesn't have great range, struggles with major league pop ups. But the mets want to make him their "Jeter" which is insane. He gets protected at all costs. Not to say it doesn't happen everywhere, but they'd be better off protecting Nimmo or McNeil than Alonso. There's a bunch of first basemen out there who help their team win in many more ways.

Reactions: mbraue and shu09
Well someone might as well respond to the article. I can't stand Alonso as a player. He does one thing good. He hits homeruns. Other than that, he's not major league quality at any other aspect of the game. Good hitters don't bat under .250, strikes out a lot, doesn't run well, doesn't have great range, struggles with major league pop ups. But the mets want to make him their "Jeter" which is insane. He gets protected at all costs. Not to say it doesn't happen everywhere, but they'd be better off protecting Nimmo or McNeil than Alonso. There's a bunch of first basemen out there who help their team win in many more ways.
So I guess RBI's don't mean much to you either? Or his cumulative OPS of .885? You are of course entitled to your opinion. Those who buy your logic would likely fit in a phone booth.

Once again, Phil is right. Absolutely no reason for Alonzo to do that and for the broadcasters to ignore it.

Reactions: shu09
Yankee fans can’t stand he beat Judge’s rookie HR record and has hit more HRs than anyone since he joined the league. If you think that’s all he does at a major league level, than you haven’t watched him enough.

Reactions: stipe65
Yankee fans can’t stand he beat Judge’s rookie HR record and has hit more HRs than anyone since he joined the league. If you think that’s all he does at a major league level, than you haven’t watched him enough.
Comparing Alonzo to Judge is laughable.

So I guess RBI's don't mean much to you either? Or his cumulative OPS of .885? You are of course entitled to your opinion. Those who buy your logic would likely fit in a phone booth.
All the stats you show are product of hitting homers. He’s going to bat 500 times and probably hit 45 homers. There’s 455 other at bats too. Runner on 3rd less than 2 out in a tie game I’d bet on McNeil and Nimmo to do the job more than Alonso. But if you get all excited over the homer and how it skews the stats sure. He’s got 45 RBIs and Pete Alonso himself is over 40% of his RBIs. Curious how many times he comes through when he doesn’t homer. 33 of his RBIs are off homers. 12 RBIs in 2 months without the long ball. Guy strikes out 25% of the time and isn’t a good first baseman. Tell me about his defense.

Last edited:
All the stats you show are product of hitting homers. He’s going to bat 500 times and probably hit 45 homers. There’s 455 other at bats too. Runner on 3rd less than 2 out in a tie game I’d bet on McNeil and Nimmo to do the job more than Alonso. But if you get all excited over the homer and how it skews the stats sure. He’s got 45 RBIs and Pete Alonso himself is over 40% of his RBIs. Curious how many times he comes through when he doesn’t homer. 33 of his RBIs are off homers. 12 RBIs in 2 months without the long ball.
Isn‘t that a measure of excellence in today’s baseball?

Besides that, he’s got one of the top RBI guys in Lindor ahead of him. Lindor takes away a lot of his RBI opportunities.

Isn‘t that a measure of excellence in today’s baseball?

Besides that, he’s got one of the top RBI guys in Lindor ahead of him. Lindor takes away a lot of his RBI opportunities.
Definitely not how I measure excellence. Guys batting .238. That and excellence in the same sentence should never be.

Anything on his defense?

Last edited:
Definitely not how I measure excellence. I can’t put .238 and excellence in the same sentence.

Anything on his defense?
His defense is not outstanding, but it’s adequate.

I‘m guessing that his average won’t be .238 at the end of the season. It won’t be pushing .300, but he will be at our near the top of the major leagues in both HR and RBI, and that Lindor will be near the top in RBI as well, just like last year. Honesty, it’s amazing he gets as many RBI as he does given that…except maybe for the fact that he drives in himself a lot, which you don’t seem to like.

And, whether you like it or not, and I don’t particularly like it myself, average just isn’t valued as much as it used to be.

The Mets certainly have issues, but he’s not one of them.

Judge has 2788 career ABs in 771 games. He has stuck out 962 times. That's every 2.89 ABs. And 202 times over 162 games. Aaron has 530 career RBI or 111 per 162 games. Career BA is .284 and 130 career 2B or 27 per 162. 4 career 3B. Judge has 234 HR or 49 per 162 games.

Alonso has 2155 ABs in 582 games. He has struck out 545 times. That's every 3.95 ABs. And 151 every 162 games. RBIs Pete has 425 or 119 avg per 162 games. Career BA is .258 and 93 2B or 26 per 162 games. 5 career 3B. He has 165 HR or 46 per 162 games.

We all have Opinions and when someone starts of with " I can't stand Alonso as a player. He does one thing good. He hits homeruns. Other than that, he's not major league quality at any other aspect of the game."

Judge has 423 1B hits in his career or 89 per 162.
Pete has 294 career 1B or 81 per 162.

Looking at these stats I agree that Aaron's BA is better, but Aaron strikes out at a much higher rate, hits more singles than Pete, and has less RBI's.

Judge has 2788 career ABs in 771 games. He has stuck out 962 times. That's every 2.89 ABs. And 202 times over 162 games. Aaron has 530 career RBI or 111 per 162 games. Career BA is .284 and 130 career 2B or 27 per 162. 4 career 3B. Judge has 234 HR or 49 per 162 games.

Alonso has 2155 ABs in 582 games. He has struck out 545 times. That's every 3.95 ABs. And 151 every 162 games. RBIs Pete has 425 or 119 avg per 162 games. Career BA is .258 and 93 2B or 26 per 162 games. 5 career 3B. He has 165 HR or 46 per 162 games.

We all have Opinions and when someone starts of with " I can't stand Alonso as a player. He does one thing good. He hits homeruns. Other than that, he's not major league quality at any other aspect of the game."

Looking at these stats I agree that Aaron's BA is better, but Aaron strikes out at a much higher rate, hits more singles than Pete, and has less RBI's.
When I grew up there were 5 tools. You address 2 and Pete is only good at one of the 2. The other 3 tools he’s not good at. He’s not fast. He’s a mediocre at best fielder. He’s not good at throwing. Hit for power. Yes. The other 4 tools aren’t very good. If you want to compare throw in that Judge runs, fields and throws better by a wide margin in all aspects

Ask the question would you do a straight up one for one trade.

FWIW, Alonso is currently ranked 4th among MLB firstbasemen in outs above average (baseball savant) and 5th in defensive runs saved (fielding bible).

Also FWIW, Judge is 24th among right fielders and 26th among center fielders in outs above average. Not sure of his defensive runs saved rank because fielding bible doesn't show a ranking number and I didn't feel like counting that far down the list, but his rating is a -2.

FWIW, Alonso is currently ranked 4th among MLB firstbasemen in outs above average (baseball savant) and 5th in defensive runs saved (fielding bible).

Also FWIW, Judge is 24th among right fielders and 26th among center fielders in outs above average. Not sure of his defensive runs saved rank because fielding bible doesn't show a ranking number and I didn't feel like counting that far down the list, but his rating is a -2.
Judge is a right fielder being asked to play center. He’s versatile enough to play out of position. I saw Pete’s defensive numbers for 2022 and he was -17. But forget the numbers, especially anything that suggests pets better than rizzo, it’s clear in the eyes when you watch. Curious how many GMs would take Pete over Goldschmidt, Freeman and Rizzo defensively.

Last edited:
I am not a Mets fan at all, but that is a pretty bad take.

Judge is a right fielder being asked to play center. He’s versatile enough to play out of position. I saw Pete’s defensive numbers for 2022 and he was -17. But forget the numbers, especially anything that suggests pets better than rizzo, it’s clear in the eyes when you watch. Curious how many GMs would take Pete over Goldschmidt, Freeman and Rizzo defensively.
Not sure what stat your -17 was in, but yes, Pete had a poor 2022 defensively. He also had a solid 2021, in which his numbers were well aligned with his pacing so far this year. I'm not saying he's ever going to win a gold glove, but neither is Judge.

Looking at these stats I agree that Aaron's BA is better, but Aaron strikes out at a much higher rate, hits more singles than Pete, and has less RBI's.I forgot something else. Salary $40,000,000 to $14,000,000.
I forgot something else. Salary $40,000,000 to $14,000,000. Are those stats worth three times more, not even close.

In his first 3 years in the league—pandemic 2020 notwithstanding —Pete had a cumulative 14.1 WAR. Plus another 1.7 so far this year and we aren’t 1/3 of the way through.

Those WAR numbers are borderline all-star numbers.

So you might not like him, but the metrics say otherwise that he is in the top echelon of first basemen.

And for the record—that Jeter comparison is a bad one. His lifetime dWAR is -9.4. One of the worst all time. There’s a reason most people didn’t know his first name was Derek and not “past - a - diving”

His cumulative WAR is 71.4 over 20 seasons—an average of about 3.6.

Not a good comparison on any level by you.

And talk about protection in a lineup….goodness. Jeter only had to slap at the ball and maybe get a right field 320’ homer ever now and again. But pitchers would much rather pitch to him than have to deal with O’Neil, Williams Martinez, Aroid, etc. a lil different with Pete

When I grew up there were 5 tools. You address 2 and Pete is only good at one of the 2. The other 3 tools he’s not good at. He’s not fast. He’s a mediocre at best fielder. He’s not good at throwing. Hit for power. Yes. The other 4 tools aren’t very good. If you want to compare throw in that Judge runs, fields and throws better by a wide margin in all aspects
Throwing? Really? Given Judge is an outfielder, he should be able to throw better than a first baseman

Ask the question would you do a straight up one for one trade.

No, but that doesn’t support the argument that Pete is a “mediocre” player. If I were the Angels, I wouldn’t trade Ohtani for Judge, does that mean Judge is mediocre or doesn’t throw as well as Ohtani, lol?

Curious how many GMs would take Pete over Goldschmidt, Freeman and Rizzo defensively.
Probably none. Goldschmidt is a league MVP and 4 time Gold Glove Winner. Freeman is a league MVP and a Gold Glove winner. Rizzo is a 4 time Gold Glove winner and considered an elite defender. Alonso is in elite company,

Another grumpy old man, Franscesca spoke at length about Alonso yesterday in his podcast, calling him the most underrated and under appreciated player in NY sports.

Probably none. Goldschmidt is a league MVP and 4 time Gold Glove Winner. Freeman is a league MVP and a Gold Glove winner. Rizzo is a 4 time Gold Glove winner and considered an elite defender. Alonso is in elite company,
Well guess what, the stats being thrown around here show all Alonso ahead of all 3 by a wide margin. That’s a joke

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT