ADVERTISEMENT

SOTU

Most of DC must be taking the trip up to the Rock tomorrow. They’re more interested in seeing Georgetown than seeing Joe.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
https://www.kron4.com/news/national...-approval-stands-ahead-of-state-of-the-union/

The questions last night were did Biden demonstrate confidence and competence to turn around the approval numbers.

SOTU speeches are normally cheerleading events, but given the polls, he needed to show some command and control rather than being a reactive President.

Sidenote: After watching Pelosi for a while, my wife suggested I look up the diagnosis for tardive dyskinesia.

Last edited:
https://www.kron4.com/news/national...-approval-stands-ahead-of-state-of-the-union/

The questions last night were did Biden demonstrate confidence and competence to turn around the approval numbers.

SOTU speeches are normally cheerleading events, but given the polls, he needed to show some command and control rather than being a reactive President.
The question in my mind is did he pick up enough independent support because I think he might have lost some on the far left. Fund the police? Protect the border? Those weren’t democratic platforms in November 2020. Did he lose the defund the police and borders are racist crowd?

The question in my mind is did he pick up enough independent support because I think he might have lost some on the far left. Fund the police? Protect the border? Those weren’t democratic platforms in November 2020. Did he lose the defund the police and borders are racist crowd?
If you listened to Joe Biden during his campaign that is nothing new. The defund the police is a very small minority and I mean minuscule.

Overall, I thought he did a good job last night. During a crisis, he was Presidential and measured in his response. Not over the top. His galvanizing of Europe and our Allies is important that should not be understated.

This is the time where I think Biden is going to pick up some steam. Good to see bi partisan applause during this speech.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
If you listened to Joe Biden during his campaign that is nothing new. The defund the police is a very small minority and I mean minuscule.

Overall, I thought he did a good job last night. During a crisis, he was Presidential and measured in his response. Not over the top. His galvanizing of Europe and our Allies is important that should not be understated.

This is the time where I think Biden is going to pick up some steam. Good to see bi partisan applause during this speech.
Not surprising you thought he did a good job, but how do you think independents viewed it? At the end of the day, the speech (as any SOTU) is pretty immaterial especially to a half empty chamber. People will approve or disapprove of his leadership by how it hits them financially and if they feel safer (or not). I don't see short term relief to inflation (transitory?...lol). Many of these massive wage increases, hiring, retention bonus have not been reflected in the price of some goods. Don't see short term relief in energy costs.

Yes this is not new but currently he can't afford to lose anyone. While the far left is miniscule, his margin for error is miniscule based on his approval rating. At the same time, more police funding wasn't a priority as crime soared. I'm curious to see if this is put into action or mere words to try to get independents more on board with his agenda.

On the Twitter BLM showed a disgruntled photo of Maxine Waters with the caption basically calling Biden out for his comment on funding police. What happens to the democrats if they lose BLM support?

I don't think he did anything to move the needle. He is simply reacting to the current political winds. I thought it was interesting how he promoted America-first economic policies.

Not surprising you thought he did a good job, but how do you think independents viewed it? At the end of the day, the speech (as any SOTU) is pretty immaterial especially to a half empty chamber. People will approve or disapprove of his leadership by how it hits them financially and if they feel safer (or not). I don't see short term relief to inflation (transitory?...lol). Many of these massive wage increases, hiring, retention bonus have not been reflected in the price of some goods. Don't see short term relief in energy costs.
i have a few conspiracy friends that think there will be a currency reset (digital) and thats the way inflation will be dealt with.

Not sure how independents saw it. In my opinion, I thought that independents would react favorably. 1) Ukraine part of the speech was very good that both sides of the aisle could like, 2) Strong support for police, 3) Support of veterans that were exposed to burning pits, 3) trying to get prices for insulin down, 4)His messaging on Covid is ending and the country will be opening up, 5) Taking credit for the infrastructure bill which is by far his biggest accomplishment and what it will mean. Overall, I think is appealing to all not just independents.

I agree with you that gas prices will hurt him, However, he is taking steps to stem the rise in prices by releasing reserves. Let's see how this goes. It will also be interesting if the US and Europe completely shut Russian oil down. Quite frankly, I would love to see this. but prices will shoot up. I. think the rise in prices will be worth it to strangle Russia.

I don't see short term relief to inflation (transitory?...lol). Many of these massive wage increases, hiring, retention bonus have not been reflected in the price of some goods. Don't see short term relief in energy costs.

short term as in 1-2 months or over the next 8 months before mid terms?

Appears he still lacks the onions to cut off Russian oil.Never been a strong guy. and that persona continues.

Reactions: Pirata
short term as in 1-2 months or over the next 8 months before mid terms?
2022...We are forecasting significant increases the rest of this year based on what suppliers have shared. There is a lag on price increases for existing contracts that have not gone through the renewal cycle yet. Our contract cycle will be passing on much higher increases this year.

As an independent voter (however have voted 90% repub in my life)

I liked Biden didn’t give any group exactly or everything what they wanted, so to me that makes a good president for everyone.

He highlighted many issues most Americans can agree with, Ukraine, fighting cancer, crime is issue, American jobs, and will not defund police, the far right can’t argue with any of that and finally getting back to the moderate president platform he ran on.

Substance - A-
Delivery - C

Since substance is more important than delivery for me (way higher weighted) , he gets a B+

The republican response was D-, purely far right propaganda from a trump lover.

Not sure how independents saw it. In my opinion, I thought that independents would react favorably. 1) Ukraine part of the speech was very good that both sides of the aisle could like, 2) Strong support for police, 3) Support of veterans that were exposed to burning pits, 3) trying to get prices for insulin down, 4)His messaging on Covid is ending and the country will be opening up, 5) Taking credit for the infrastructure bill which is by far his biggest accomplishment and what it will mean. Overall, I think is appealing to all not just independents.

I agree with you that gas prices will hurt him, However, he is taking steps to stem the rise in prices by releasing reserves. Let's see how this goes. It will also be interesting if the US and Europe completely shut Russian oil down. Quite frankly, I would love to see this. but prices will shoot up. I. think the rise in prices will be worth it to strangle Russia.
Polling will dictate how they thought about it. SOTU speech will not move the needle unless it is inspirational/aspirational and people really believe the change is real. Independents are just that...show me. They don't get swayed by a speech if the words don't match the results. Talk about our role in Ukraine doesn't mean much if the news is showing civilians getting slaughtered and refugees prevented from leaving the country. Now that we are seeing that the Russian army seems to have been misled and is poorly directed, it even makes us and NATO look weaker in that we couldn't do a better job supporting Ukraine against a JV team.

I didn't see the "strong support for police" because in one breath he was talking about hiring and then pivoted to holding them accountable. Once again, it's how independents hear that message.

Appears he still lacks the onions to cut off Russian oil.Never been a strong guy. and that persona continues.

I'm sure it's not easy to just flip a switch and stop sourcing oil from one country in a few days, but we obviously should make that switch.

Polling will dictate how they thought about it. SOTU speech will not move the needle unless it is inspirational/aspirational and people really believe the change is real. Independents are just that...show me. They don't get swayed by a speech if the words don't match the results. Talk about our role in Ukraine doesn't mean much if the news is showing civilians getting slaughtered and refugees prevented from leaving the country. Now that we are seeing that the Russian army seems to have been misled and is poorly directed, it even makes us and NATO look weaker in that we couldn't do a better job supporting Ukraine against a JV team.

I didn't see the "strong support for police" because in one breath he was talking about hiring and then pivoted to holding them accountable. Once again, it's how independents hear that message.

You can be a strong supporter of the police and believe the bad apples that make cops look bad and make their jobs harder should be held accountable.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I thought the Ukraine part of the speech was good. The Fund the Police part was good. His story about his son was good.

The rest was confusing. He said Iranians instead of Ukrainians. Major slip up.

At one point he was giving a nice story about his son and then never paused and launched into another totally unrelated topic. He butchered so many words. This speech was a "slurry mess" - let's be honest.

I thought it was completely low class for Greene and that other idiot from Colorado to interrupt his speech a few times. Low, low class. I also thought it was strange that so many were not seated for his speech. Another message that both parties are jerks.

Dems wanted more from him to promote their important issues. Some Dems were ticked that he wants to Fund the Police (BLM had some nasty tweets about that). Others wanted him to tout his so called leadership with NATO but he didn't do much of that. If I was a Dem I would think he missed out on a lot of things he could have talked about more.

Positives - he was not nasty or confrontational in any way and definitely seemed like he wanted to work together with the other side of the aisle.

The overall speech did not give anyone confidence in his ability nor did watching Kamala roll her eyes when he made some slip ups or watching Nancy chew on her cud.

His ending "go get em" didn't really make sense to me. Is he talking about the Ukrainians? Is he talking about America? Common it was a mess. I can't see how folks are feeling good about that speech.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
2022...We are forecasting significant increases the rest of this year based on what suppliers have shared. There is a lag on price increases for existing contracts that have not gone through the renewal cycle yet. Our contract cycle will be passing on much higher increases this year.

Will vary industry to industry but 2022 inflation staying close to 7% would seem to be an outlier assumption.

I thought the Ukraine part of the speech was good. The Fund the Police part was good. His story about his son was good.

The rest was confusing. He said Iranians instead of Ukrainians. Major slip up.

At one point he was giving a nice story about his son and then never paused and launched into another totally unrelated topic. He butchered so many words. This speech was a "slurry mess" - let's be honest.

I thought it was completely low class for Greene and that other idiot from Colorado to interrupt his speech a few times. Low, low class. I also thought it was strange that so many were not seated for his speech. Another message that both parties are jerks.

Dems wanted more from him to promote their important issues. Some Dems were ticked that he wants to Fund the Police (BLM had some nasty tweets about that). Others wanted him to tout his so called leadership with NATO but he didn't do much of that. If I was a Dem I would think he missed out on a lot of things he could have talked about more.

Positives - he was not nasty or confrontational in any way and definitely seemed like he wanted to work together with the other side of the aisle.

The overall speech did not give anyone confidence in his ability nor did watching Kamala roll her eyes when he made some slip ups or watching Nancy chew on her cud.

His ending "go get em" didn't really make sense to me. Is he talking about the Ukrainians? Is he talking about America? Common it was a mess. I can't see how folks are feeling good about that speech.
Do not think he is getting enough credit for the infrastructure bill.

Absolutely agree that independent voters will judge based on results. I personally do not need to "like the person" it's all about the policies and results. I believe if Biden came out last night an said "listen we are changing our policy on the keystone pipeline and our overall strategy to increase the production of oil domestically" to show support for Ukraine and our European allies. This message would have been a game changer, he had a built-in excuse to reverse his policies and gain the respect of the American people and chose to be a lame duck and do nothing. He has allow weakness to define his presidency. I do give him credit for changing course and funding the police, his message just does not connect with the American people. Nancy's face while rubbing her knuckles together was extremely weird.

Reactions: Pirata
I would be very surprised if inflation reduces meaningfully over the next 6 months.

A lot of external factors which could change, but most projections I have seen have it dropped by about half by then.

A lot of external factors which could change, but most projections I have seen have it dropped by about half by then.
I hope you are right but inflation is tied to the price of oil and gas. So you think the price of fuel will come down in 6 months? Hope you are right again but right now I just don't see it.

His galvanizing of Europe and our Allies is important that should not be understated.

Bullsh_t

The only thing he galvanized was the Republican platform.

Bush 41 galvanized a coalition.

If Biden had any skills he would have formed a similar coalition to defend the Ukraine and clearly state we would not set foot in Russia but we would defend a sovereign nation.

That speech was an incoherent joke. Pelosi needs to see a doctor.

Border
Inflation
Taxes
Afghan Withdrawal.
Build Back Better failure
Keystone Pipeline
Nord Stream
37 % Approval
Covid
Crime
CRT

All failures.

Last edited:
Will vary industry to industry but 2022 inflation staying close to 7% would seem to be an outlier assumption.
I don't know if it will be less or more than 7%, but there are costs that are not baked into the cake on future pricing yet. We also still have an unsettled workforce and a supply chain with issues.

Reactions: shu09
I don't know if it will be less or more than 7%, but there are costs that are not baked into the cake on future pricing yet. We also still have an unsettled workforce and a supply chain with issues.

But on the other side of that, we also had a massive economic stimulus payments to consumers which are now gone.

Consumers were willing to pay more because they all had more. Businesses are not going to be able to increase prices as easy as it was last year when the government was handing out money. Yes, wages are going up but that's not going to have nearly the same impact of the child tax credits and other stimulus payments people were receiving.

Pelosi needs to see a doctor.

Well that seems true. No idea what the knuckle rubbing was about. Really weird.

On your other points.

Border - Agreed.
Afghan Withdrawal. - Agreed
Build Back Better failure - Agreed.
Covid - on messaging I agree
Crime - Agreed. Hasn't done enough.

Inflation - Series of unfortunate events caused the inflation. Not really on him at this point.
Taxes - Not sure I'd say failure. More like incomplete depending where he goes from here.
Keystone Pipeline - Not sure why that's in your failure list. He did what he campaigned on.
Nord Stream - Wouldn't have this in a failure list either. He put this on Germany because they are the ones who need it and now they are pushing back.

CRT - LOL... No.

But on the other side of that, we also had a massive economic stimulus payments to consumers which are now gone.

Consumers were willing to pay more because they all had more. Businesses are not going to be able to increase prices as easy as it was last year when the government was handing out money. Yes, wages are going up but that's not going to have nearly the same impact of the child tax credits and other stimulus payments people were receiving.
I'm thinking more of B2B increases. Energy is up big time; wages are up big time; global supply chain is still disrupted and volatile. It ends up hitting the consumer eventually, but a lot of that hasn't worked it's way through the system yet.

Interesting people pointing out Nancy Pelosi's face and knuckle rubbing and not a word about those two nitwits Green and Boebert shouting during Biden's speech. Cause those two gals are all class.

Interesting people pointing out Nancy Pelosi's face and knuckle rubbing and not a word about those two nitwits Green and Boebert shouting during Biden's speech. Cause those two gals are all class.
Classless and boorish behavior by both. Anything else?

And what does one have to do with the other? I only raised the issue on Pelosi because she appears to have a medical condition that was distracting to the speech.

Well that seems true. No idea what the knuckle rubbing was about. Really weird.

On your other points.

Border - Agreed.
Afghan Withdrawal. - Agreed
Build Back Better failure - Agreed.
Covid - on messaging I agree
Crime - Agreed. Hasn't done enough.

Inflation - Series of unfortunate events caused the inflation. Not really on him at this point.
Taxes - Not sure I'd say failure. More like incomplete depending where he goes from here.
Keystone Pipeline - Not sure why that's in your failure list. He did what he campaigned on. It's hindsight now but his policy put us in a bad position with the Ukraine situation. It is helping Putin fund his invasion.

Nord Stream - Wouldn't have this in a failure list either. He put this on Germany because they are the ones who need it and now they are pushing back.

CRT - LOL... No.
On CRT itself I agree with you however having the DOJ consider parents as domestic terrorists is just wrong. He does have a secretary of education. When I wrote CRT I wavered between saying war on parents and figured nobody would get and so I went with CRT. Not sure that was deserving of an lol.

I get your perspective about considering keystone a success in that he succeeded in doing what he said he was going to do but I still view it as a failure when considered absolutely.

I probably should have said energy policy overall. The banning of fracking on federal lands is a mistake.

One item I left out is his failure to move the needle on bringing the country together. We are as divided as ever. It's not entirely his fault but I don't think he's done much to help it.

I posted in a separate thread about his stance on the Ukraine. Cern praises him for galvanizing Europe in the Ukraine situation. I think he could have shown stronger leadership and done things a little different. Putin is playing him like a fiddle.

I agree he's not solely responsible for the inflation but some of his policies have caused a portion of it. Gas prices for one.

Last edited:
Bullsh_t

The only thing he galvanized was the Republican platform.

Bush 41 galvanized a coalition.

If Biden had any skills he would have formed a similar coalition to defend the Ukraine and clearly state we would not set foot in Russia but we would defend a sovereign nation.

That speech was an incoherent joke. Pelosi needs to see a doctor.

Border
Inflation
Taxes
Afghan Withdrawal.
Build Back Better failure
Keystone Pipeline
Nord Stream
37 % Approval
Covid
Crime
CRT

All failures.
Hey covid is about to be defeated! thanks Biden

I'm thinking more of B2B increases. Energy is up big time; wages are up big time; global supply chain is still disrupted and volatile. It ends up hitting the consumer eventually, but a lot of that hasn't worked it's way through the system yet.

Time will tell. I see what you're saying, but you can only pass so much on the the consumer.

On CRT itself I agree with you however having the DOJ consider parents as domestic terrorists is just wrong. He does have a secretary of education. When I wrote CRT I wavered between saying war on parents and figured nobody would get and so I went with CRT. Not sure that was deserving of an lol.

I laughed because that was just entirely made up fearmongering propaganda and parents were losing their minds over it. And yes, some were even threatening members of school boards. The DOJ did not consider them domestic terrorists though, he just requested the FBI work with localities to assess the threats.

I get your perspective about considering keystone a success in that he succeeded in doing what he said he was going to do but I still view it as a failure when considered absolutely.

I probably should have said energy policy overall. The banning of fracking on federal lands is a mistake.

I'd think the majority of people who voted for him would disagree on that stance though and would view those as being good things. Overall on energy policy I'd agree to put that as a failure but because he couldn't get the BBB plan through

I posted in a separate thread about his stance on the Ukraine. Cern praises him for galvanizing Europe in the Ukraine situation. I think he could have shown stronger leadership and done things a little different. Putin is playing him like a fiddle.

Remains to be seen. Right now, I think he's handling it ok. Galvanizing Europe may be a bit of an oversell but I don't view our response as a failure at all. We should be one of the world leaders, but shouldn't be the worlds defending police force. Encouraging a stronger European / NATO response over forcing ourselves as being the ones who have to go in is a good thing. The world seems to be rallying behind Ukraine in this fight, and that may be the better option in the long term for all involved instead of the US just running right in.

I agree that he's not solely responsible for the inflation but some of his policies have caused a portion of it. Gas prices for one.

Disagree overall. Has very little to do with Biden and his policies.
When the price comes down as it always eventually does, will you be giving him credit even though he probably won't deserve it then either?

I laughed because that was just entirely made up fearmongering propaganda and parents were losing their minds over it. And yes, some were even threatening members of school boards. The DOJ did not consider them domestic terrorists though, he just requested the FBI work with localities to assess the threats.

I'd think the majority of people who voted for him would disagree on that stance though and would view those as being good things. Overall on energy policy I'd agree to put that as a failure but because he couldn't get the BBB plan through

Remains to be seen. Right now, I think he's handling it ok. Galvanizing Europe may be a bit of an oversell but I don't view our response as a failure at all. We should be one of the world leaders, but shouldn't be the worlds defending police force. Encouraging a stronger European / NATO response over forcing ourselves as being the ones who have to go in is a good thing. The world seems to be rallying behind Ukraine in this fight, and that may be the better option in the long term for all involved instead of the US just running right in.

2000 Ukrainians dead so far…I don’t know if that’s handling it well. We and NATO could have easily prepared them to defend themselves without putting boots on the ground.

"2000 Ukrainians dead so far…I don’t know if that’s handling it well. We and NATO could have easily prepared them to defend themselves without putting boots on the ground."

I don't think any of us here know enough to understand what our options were and if that is true or not. Maybe Putin selling a war against America in Ukraine would have been a much easier sell than a war against Ukrainians in Ukraine. Maybe they don't empty the gas in their tanks if they are fighting America's war machine?

2,000 dead is obviously bad, but we have no idea what the alternate paths could have looked like. Just guessing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT