ADVERTISEMENT

The better offensive team

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Kevin Willard said the other day that this years team (let's assume he was talking about the starters for the purpose of this question) is the best offensive team he has ever coached.

Which group is the better team offensively

2017/18
PG Carrington
2G Powell
C Delgado
PF Sanogo
SF Rodriquez

or

2015/16
PG Whitehead
2G Carrington
C Delgado
PF Sanogo
SF Rodriquez

Delgado and Desi have expanded/solidified their games since then.

IW/KC vs KC/Powell is prob close to a wash.

So based off that I'll go with this current team.

I'll go with the current team as well. KC, DR, & AD have improved over the past few years. Powell is a great compliment to those guys and gives us some much needed shooting.

I think it is also important to consider the benches when starting this debate.

In 15-16' the bench was Gordon, Nzei, and Veer.
This year.. Nzei, Cale, Walker, Mamu, Gordon.

Obviously, this year's bench is so much better offensively.

I think it is also important to consider the benches when starting this debate.

That's why I noted above for the purpose of this question to just focus on the starters. Obviously you are right, the bench sways it far to this current team's side.

Just an FYI

Points scored in the last 15 Big East games by the 2015/16 team

Average 76.1

I think this is a difficult question to answer and it all depends on what Deeno gives us at the one this coming year. Running an offense at this level is very difficult, especially when you have been a scorer all of your life.

As talented as Whitehead was it took him a good portion of the 2015/16 season before he became an offensive force. But when he did the Hall was near unbeatable in conference.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is scoring off defense and I think the 6-4 Whitehead gives the older team an advantage over the current one in that facet of the game.

With all that said though I'll give a very slight nod to this season's team. They have more experience and I think Desi and Angel 2.0 are superior to their younger versions.

I'll go with this year's team primarily because of the team's experience with 4 seniors with three years of experience plus Powell is no longer a freshman and he has a year of college BB behind him added to KC has last year's experience getting minutes at the point which should benefit him this year.

Last edited:
Kevin Willard said the other day that this years team (let's assume he was talking about the starters for the purpose of this question) is the best offensive team he has ever coached.

Which group is the better team offensively

2017/18
PG Carrington
2G Powell
C Delgado
PF Sanogo
SF Rodriquez

or

2015/16
PG Whitehead
2G Carrington
C Delgado
PF Sanogo
SF Rodriquez

I'll agree with the coach.

Whitehead was more talented two years ago than Powell is now.
I think that his point takes into consideration that the other four starters are much better now than they were two years ago

Great question and I think it all boils down to the point guard position. In my mind, there is no question that individually Carrington, Desi, and Delgado are way better this year than when Whitehead was here. With the addition of Powell, the scoring capability of those 4 are tremendous. All four could average 15 points or better this season.

However, Whitehead as the facilitator is way better than Carrington. You cannot underestimate the value of a point guard. Whitehead's assists lead to some easy baskets. Desi finished on the break a lot more when Whitehead was here than last. Ish was better offensively. Now, is that due to injury? I am sure part of it, but also Whitehead could really dish it. So, I think Whitehead as Point guard tips it in his team's favor.

Now, once you include the bench, this year's team is a much better offensive team as a whole.

It's a good question, and obviously Willard's opinion is more considered than mine, but I'd still go with the 2015-16 offense because of the point guard situation. I know Whitehead wasn't really a PG either, but he just had more offensive dynamism than Carrington (not a slight on KC, but more a rave about IW). He was (I think) better able to make up for his PG shortcomings on raw talent. And he demanded such attention that he took a lot of heat off the other guys, allowing them to do more.

Hey, for all I know, Carrington could come out this year and play point guard like he's John Stockton, and I'll be thrilled to look foolish for questioning him! But based on what I know on June 22? I'm not there yet.

4 of your players are 2 years older. That delta is bigger than the one between IW and Powell offensively.

This year is better offensively for that reason, but its also why i have extremely high expectations.

With I.W. he dominated the ball..this year we have starters that will share the scoring...Go with this year.

Individual to individual, this team is much better offensively. Angel and Desi have improved so much. But Isaiah's playmaking ability made everyone so much better. Deeno just doesn't have the same vision or ability to find ways to constantly get in the paint and create.

Isaiah could always use his spin-move when defenders over-played to his right. When Defenders over play on khadeen's left, he struggles. And even when he gets an open path into the lane he keeps his head down and picks up way too many charges.

Ball movement is the key this year. I think this years team will eventually be better on offense than 15-16. We have 4 very gifted scorers and they know each other so well.

Unless you put the bench in then I would take the team with IW. If you include the bench then I think this year's squad may have more collective fire power.

Tough to replace IW's NBA skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT