ADVERTISEMENT

It's becoming clearer

There are a lot of miserable posters that have me wondering if they are really fans. To be blasting kids that have not even stepped foot on the court does not seem like someone who roots for the school and Sha to succeed.

Reactions: stipe65
Need a legit backup PG in the worse way.
Why is no one considering Harris? He was supposedly a great get at the time and better than his brother. I know the knee sidetracked him but before the injury he was pretty impressive on film.

Hopefully I will be surprised… he’s not horrible, but he shouldn’t be playing 20+ minutes in the Big East… he likes to play outside on offense and is soft down low…. We will see, Shaheen has to get in in much better shape

Man this board can be the ultimate glass half empty crowd lol. Last year some were predicting we’d win 1-2 Big East games. A couple of weeks ago we were on the verge of being relegated to the MAAC or A-10.

This roster is already good enough to be competitive and there’s undoubtedly more additions in the pipeline. Let’s exercise a little patience and have some faith here.
Absolutely! So frustrating listening to all these experts questioning a guy who forgot more than they know about hoops. Please wait for him to finish his team first before you slit your wrists.

I remain optimistic that if Shaheen gets his 9-12 quality players, who can all play defense, that he will mold these men into a solid and representative team that we will all be proud of!
This issue becomes, what about retaining same players next year.

I remain optimistic that if Shaheen gets his 9-12 quality players, who can all play defense, that he will mold these men into a solid and representative team that we will all be proud of!
Let’s first get the committed players to sign a LOI before we start worrying about them staying. In todays world of college basketball recruiting nothing is for certain without that.

Reactions: ShoreGold
Yes I am confident about them playing defense but the other half of the game scoring the ball is very important too and that was a problem this past season!

Why is no one considering Harris? He was supposedly a great get at the time and better than his brother. I know the knee sidetracked him but before the injury he was pretty impressive on film.
Better than his brother? His brother was awful last year. Let me guess that’s being negative.

We have all seen players with potential. Some exceed and some stay the same. Sometimes it’s in year 2 or year 3. No one loved Ish or Copland after year one. Give this KIDS some time and some love.

Young Harris has been off so long! Only the staff knows what he’s capable of. But there must be a reason he’s still around. Counting on him this year for anything seems a real stretch though. Of course we’ll all hope for a surprise.
I think of him this year as a kid on the practice squad of an NFL team. Develop him this year. Keep him healthy but let him know this is what you are doing. If he progresses faster and earns his spot on the court, good for him. He had lots of talent in HS so the foundation is there. He is worth the roster spot IMO as long as the Docs are saying he can get back to 100% physically.

Reactions: HALL85
So then Ro Gill should have never been recruited?
I personally don’t like this take and it’s not a knock on Ro Gill at all. However, we seem to remember the end result of Ro’s final year and not the progression it took to get there.

As a JUCO transfer he was immediately eligible to play and Willard wisely chose to red shirt him. Which means year 1 with the Hall was completely developmental going up against Delgado in practice.

In his second year we played with Michael Nzie, Ish Sanogo, Taurean Thompson, and Sandro at the 4/5. No true center in that group at all and he played 27 out of 34 games averaging 11 mpg and scoring 2.3 ppg.

Then he makes the quantum jump his senior season. Earns BE most improved player and BE defensive player of the year. Had a stretch of 6 games in BE play in which he averaged 14.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 4.3 bpg, and shot 66% from the floor. He was unstoppable in the pick and roll with Q and opposing teams couldn’t figure it out. But eventually they did and if you back out those 6 games he only averaged 6.2 ppg over the other 24 games.

Very happy that Ro had a successful transformation and finished his career in high regard with the Seton Hall fan base. But it was not instant success. It took almost 2 1/2 years before he broke through offensively for that 6 game stretch.

Just because one guy had success doesn’t mean it will automatically translate to others. McKnight had his ups and downs his first year before having an outstanding senior year. But we expected Takal Molson to come in and make the same instantaneous jump year 1 and he didn’t and was basically run out of town.

Not sure what to expect from our two new big men, but in order for us to be a “decent” team you need immediate production from them next year. Not a two+ years developmental project. So if Hutchinson is the starting 5, there will be pressure to provide front court scoring and not just be an able body to defend the post.

With the transfer portal, kids need to come in and be ready to compete or its simply not working. This is what the powers that be wanted so now the pressure is on the kids to get better quickly. I don't think there will be a happy ending but here we are. One year prove it NIL contracts or get recruited over. If you want to get paid, then you better play.

I think of him this year as a kid on the practice squad of an NFL team. Develop him this year. Keep him healthy but let him know this is what you are doing. If he progresses faster and earns his spot on the court, good for him. He had lots of talent in HS so the foundation is there. He is worth the roster spot IMO as long as the Docs are saying he can get back to 100% physically.

I personally don’t like this take and it’s not a knock on Ro Gill at all. However, we seem to remember the end result of Ro’s final year and not the progression it took to get there.

As a JUCO transfer he was immediately eligible to play and Willard wisely chose to red shirt him. Which means year 1 with the Hall was completely developmental going up against Delgado in practice.

In his second year we played with Michael Nzie, Ish Sanogo, Taurean Thompson, and Sandro at the 4/5. No true center in that group at all and he played 27 out of 34 games averaging 11 mpg and scoring 2.3 ppg.

Then he makes the quantum jump his senior season. Earns BE most improved player and BE defensive player of the year. Had a stretch of 6 games in BE play in which he averaged 14.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 4.3 bpg, and shot 66% from the floor. He was unstoppable in the pick and roll with Q and opposing teams couldn’t figure it out. But eventually they did and if you back out those 6 games he only averaged 6.2 ppg over the other 24 games.

Very happy that Ro had a successful transformation and finished his career in high regard with the Seton Hall fan base. But it was not instant success. It took almost 2 1/2 years before he broke through offensively for that 6 game stretch.

Just because one guy had success doesn’t mean it will automatically translate to others. McKnight had his ups and downs his first year before having an outstanding senior year. But we expected Takal Molson to come in and make the same instantaneous jump year 1 and he didn’t and was basically run out of town.

Not sure what to expect from our two new big men, but in order for us to be a “decent” team you need immediate production from them next year. Not a two+ years developmental project. So if Hutchinson is the starting 5, there will be pressure to provide front court scoring and not just be an able body to defend the post.
Agree...neither are two year development projects because they are only going to be here for one or two years.

My point was that dismissing them completely as both because they played for mid-majors was a pretty narrow take, especially when you look at someone like Ro, who came from a JC. Should we not recruit players from mid-majors or even D-2 if they fill a need? They both have a body of work (which Ro didn't), but they are also both required to step in and plug a short term gap which remains to be seen. They are not unproven though.

Reactions: Section112
There are a lot of miserable posters that have me wondering if they are really fans. To be blasting kids that have not even stepped foot on the court does not seem like someone who roots for the school and Sha to succeed.
like the ones that stand on the sidelines rooting hard for their kids pretending they played once?!?!? they are everywhere! soft

Agree...neither are two year development projects because they are only going to be here for one or two years.
My point was that dismissing them completely as both because they played for mid-majors was a pretty narrow take, especially when you look at someone like Ro, who came from a JC. Should we not recruit players from mid-majors or even D-2 if they fill a need? They both have a body of work (which Ro didn't), but they are also both required to step in and plug a short term gap which remains to be seen. They are not unproven though.
Not Unproven is very subjective.

He was the Ohio Valley Conference Rookie of the Year in 2021-22. The OVC was the 21st rated conference according to the NET that year. Top heavy with Murray state (21) and Belmont (72). 7 of the remaining schools were a 250+ NET rating.

Vs higher level competition here were his game logs.

@TCU - 2 points
@ South Florida - 6 points.
@ Vanderbilt- 6 points

As a sophomore the program moved to the Atlantic Sun which was the 17th rated NET conference and Austin Peay was rated 325. They were 3-15 in conference play last year.

He had a standout game against Purdue 19 points 7 rebounds.

But he conversely had 3 games in which he DID NOT score a single point; vs Liberty, Lipscomb, and Florida Gulf Coast.
He also had 8 games in which he grabbed 3 or fewer rebounds during conference play. And it’s not because he was out of position blocking shots like Gill and Obiagu. He had a combined 2 blocks in those 8 games. That would be kind of concerning for a guy listed at 6’11” - 270 lbs..No?

He is a very raw big moving from mid major / lower level competition to the Big East. It’s nice that he was able to average 23.5 ppg vs the Queens (NC) Royals. But now he is going to be going up against a completely different level of competition .

I would not say he is a proven talent at this point. As we should have learned in the past, we should be tempering our expectations here before we see what he can do on the court in the Big East.

Last edited:
Not Unproven is very subjective.

He was the Ohio Valley Conference Rookie of the Year in 2021-22. The OVC was the 21st rated conference according to the NET that year. Top heavy with Murray state (21) and Belmont (72). 7 of the remaining schools were a 250+ NET rating.

Vs higher level competition here were his game logs.

@TCU - 2 points
@ South Florida - 6 points.
@ Vanderbilt- 6 points

As a sophomore the program moved to the Atlantic Sun which was the 17th rated NET conference and Austin Peay was rated 325. They were 3-15 in conference play last year.

He had a standout game against Purdue 19 points 7 rebounds.

But he conversely had 3 games in which he DID NOT score a single point; vs Liberty, Lipscomb, and Florida Gulf Coast.
He also had 8 games in which he grabbed 3 or fewer rebounds during conference play. And it’s not because he was out of position blocking shots like Gill and Obiagu. He had a combined 2 blocks in those 8 games. That would be kind of concerning for a guy listed at 6’11” - 270 lbs..No?

He is a very raw big moving from mid major / lower level competition to the Big East. It’s nice that he was able to average 23.5 ppg vs the Queens (NC) Royals. But now he is going to be going up against a completely different level of competition .

I would not say he is a proven talent at this point. As we should have learned in the past, we should be tempering our expectations here before we see what he can do on the court in the Big East.
Appreciate you sharing the stats, but his overall numbers were decent (26 mpg, 12 ppg, 6 rpg and 50% FG) and I could cherry pick games to prove a point too.

IMO, and I've said this, I don't expect either center to be a focal point of the offense, but having legitimate, experienced size in the middle counts for something. They may be in the bottom third of the conference vs. other centers, but I don't see any better ones and considering Jackson was awful playing 15-20 minutes, it may even be an upgrade in total.

Appreciate you sharing the stats, but his overall numbers were decent (26 mpg, 12 ppg, 6 rpg and 50% FG) and I could cherry pick games to prove a point too.

IMO, and I've said this, I don't expect either center to be a focal point of the offense, but having legitimate, experienced size in the middle counts for something. They may be in the bottom third of the conference vs. other centers, but I don't see any better ones and considering Jackson was awful playing 15-20 minutes, it may even be an upgrade in total.

It’s not about cherry picking. It’s about putting what we had vs what we do have into perspective. And this fan base would have lost their mind if Tyrese had recorded 3 games of zero points, which is why I included those.

I will be the first to tell you that I thought the combination of Tyrese and Tray both playing out of position sorely put us at a disadvantage both defensively and on the glass.

Tyrese also had 10 games of 3 rebounds or less last year. That just can’t happen when you have the physical size and athletic gifts that he possesses. So I am not defending Tyrese, I feel like his motor at times was lacking or maybe he just didn’t play with enough of a mean streak.

But between him and Tray you still have to replace 17.5 ppg on a team that was very offensively challenged.

If you told me I had Hutchins-Everett and Bediako next to a PF like Tyrese or Sandro or Kelly Whitney then I think they could be complimentary.

But right now there is a glaring hole at the PF spot not counting a 3 star frosh. So the title of the thread is…”it’s becoming clearer”.
Until we see how that PF role is defined I believe the view of how this team will be able to compete is very UNCLEAR.

if the PF spot is filled with another player like FEMI or KC whose primary skill set is to defend and scrap for 8 points per game. I am still highly concerned regardless of the progress made to this point.

It’s not about cherry picking. It’s about putting what we had vs what we do have into perspective.

I will be the first to tell you that I thought the combination of Tyrese and Tray both playing out of position sorely put us at a disadvantage both defensively and on the glass.

Tyrese also had 10 games of 3 rebounds or less last year. That just can’t happen when you have the physical size and athletic gifts that he possesses. So I am not defending Tyrese, I feel like his motor at times was lacking or maybe he just didn’t play with enough of a mean streak.

But between him and Tray you still have to replace 17.5 ppg on a team that was very offensively challenged.

If you told me I had Hutchins-Everett and Bediako next to a PF like Tyrese or Sandro or Kelly Whitney then I think they could be complimentary.

But right now there is a glaring hole at the PF spot not counting a 3 star frosh. So the title of the thread is…”it’s becoming clearer”.
Until we see how that PF role is defined I believe the view of how this team will be able to compete is very UNCLEAR.

if the PF spot is filled with another player like FEMI or KC whose primary skill set is to defend and scrap for 8 points per game. I am still highly concerned regardless of the progress made to this point.
I violently agree that the PF position is huge (no pun intended) first of all replacing KC is a big ask. So you are right, it’s not clear, but having a two headed center versus nothing (Tray and Ty both gone) provides more clarity at the 5.

Being realistic and what is available, did anyone expect a both sides of the ball big time center to fall into our laps seeing what Ty got?

It’s clearer, but the puzzle is still missing three pieces. Right now it’s a bottom third BE team. The right three pieces could move it to mid-third. Or…..

Keep your chin up. Think where we were just a week or two prior.

Long way to go. This team right now will be more exciting than last year's team and we still have 3 more players coming in.
Im Back Wake Up GIF

He was a real asset the previous season. Key reason we beat Creighton on the road to clinch an NCAAT spot and made the huge 3 vs G-town to save us from embarrassment in the BET.
Can we just say he had a couple of his Pirate moments down the stretch to help secure a bid.

From the Texas game through conference play up until the game @ Georgetown he averaged 6.2 ppg, less than an assist per game (.7) and shot 34% from 3.

In that stretch he had 5 games where he was held scoreless and 2 games where he only scored 2 points.

If I could find the Carino article hyping up Harris after observing him at an early summer practice, you would say that he fell short of the expectations that many had for him after transferring in from American as a 20 ppg scorer and a 44% 3 point shooter in the 2020-21 season.

I wouldn’t have defined him as a real asset during that season. And last season was a performance even below that standard.

Can we just say he had a couple of his Pirate moments down the stretch to help secure a bid.

From the Texas game through conference play up until the game @ Georgetown he averaged 6.2 ppg, less than an assist per game (.7) and shot 34% from 3.

In that stretch he had 5 games where he was held scoreless and 2 games where he only scored 2 points.

If I could find the Carino article hyping up Harris after observing him at an early summer practice, you would say that he fell short of the expectations that many had for him after transferring in from American as a 20 ppg scorer and a 44% 3 point shooter in the 2020-21 season.

I wouldn’t have defined him as a real asset during that season. And last season was a performance even below that standard.
Ok, let’s just say he was a key component of a 21 win team. We’re not getting to the NCAAT without him. And just how many shots was he getting up with Aiken ( half season), Rhoden and Kadary. Plus you had Trey and Yetna getting shots up. So what if he scored 6.2ppg, when we needed him, he stepped up. We all agree, last season was bad.

Ok, let’s just say he was a key component of a 21 win team. We’re not getting to the NCAAT without him. And just how many shots was he getting up with Aiken ( half season), Rhoden and Kadary. Plus you had Trey and Yetna getting shots up. So what if he scored 6.2ppg, when we needed him, he stepped up. We all agree, last season was bad.
He was an off the bench rotation player who was asked to shoulder more responsibility handling the ball at PG once Kadary went down with injury.

Prior to that Kadary was averaging 32 mpg over a 12 game stretch from when Aiken went down up until the game at Creighton. And that included a 16 minute effort vs Butler when I believe he originally got hurt.

Prior to Kadary being out at Creighton, Harris was a 22 mpg contributor off the bench in conference play.

Over the final four games of the year that increased to 28 mpg with a total of 6 assists across those games. But he only turned it over 6 times during that stretch as well. And that’s what we needed, someone to just dribble the ball across half court and not turn it over.

IMO he was an ok player at best during that year. Not a “KEY COMPONENT”.

Aiken, Richmond, Rhoden, Cale, were the key components.

Yetna, Samuel, Obiagu, and Harris were contributors on that team.

He was an off the bench rotation player who was asked to shoulder more responsibility handling the ball at PG once Kadary went down with injury.

Prior to that Kadary was averaging 32 mpg over a 12 game stretch from when Aiken went down up until the game at Creighton. And that included a 16 minute effort vs Butler when I believe he originally got hurt.

Prior to Kadary being out at Creighton, Harris was a 22 mpg contributor off the bench in conference play.

Over the final four games of the year that increased to 28 mpg with a total of 6 assists across those games. But he only turned it over 6 times during that stretch as well. And that’s what we needed, someone to just dribble the ball across half court and not turn it over.

Thank you. Our board uses the terms "very good", "great", "key" very loosely.

I still think this Seton Hall team is a bottom third Big East team next season. However I'll still root for this team next year. Just have declined renewing my season ticket package based on how the prices increased . Go Pirates!

I still think this Seton Hall team is a bottom third Big East team next season. However I'll still root for this team next year. Just have declined renewing my season ticket package based on how the prices increased . Go Pirates!
So you’re a front running fair weather fan? SHU needs your support now more than ever. You know, all hands on deck.

• Haha
Reactions: garyshu71
Based on a 16-game home schedule (not including a Walsh game) tickets are up about $2 a game from last year's 15-game home schedule. If it's a 15-game schedule they went up $4 per.

Big bucks.

Look they likely recruited him to get his younger brother(s). My point was no one is even mentioning him (JaQuan) as a backup and saying we need to recruit another PG. He looked pretty talented prior to the injury on film. Do we not think he’ll get back to that level?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT