ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the way…….

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
March is upon us, and it’s been a pleasantly surprising season on a few fronts. I hope we can at least do the following for the remainder of the season…

* Get 2 more wins out of the remaining 4 games. Won’t be easy, but have to think we’re a lock to get at least 1. If my math is right we’d be 13 conference wins, 20 regular headed in to BET. That's a really good year for us given the pre season expectations.

* Win a game in the BET and have a real strong showing in the BET semi’s (make it to Friday night)

* Let’s be a surprise team in the NCAAs and not take on the Willard happy to be here role.

Listen folks,

we all may be thinking, what do we need to do to dance? Well, I for one, am not settling for that, I want a Big East 2nd place finish!

Marquette has Providence, Creighton and UConn still to go with 4 BE losses already.

Creighton has us and Marquette to go and already has 6 BE losses.

We beat Creighton and 2nd place may just fall into our lap!

Morale of story, just keep winning....and we will! In Sha We Trust!

I’m hoping a strong showing these last 4 games leads to a big SHU presence at the Garden in the BET.

I know we’re one of the smaller fan bases in the BE, but it’s right in our backyard. The crowd should always be neutral at worst unless we are playing UConn or St. John’s.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
We,really need to play one at a time. The Villanova game is the Must. The guys have to keep their composure at Creighton. Don't turn an 8 point loss into a 20 point loss.

Villanova is the key. Loss to them at home would be terrible despite overall record. Would remind me of our 2020 swoon. Win at Creighton looks possible and would really be gravy. And I'm fine with the 11 seed. I'd take it as to avoid playing no. 1 on the weekend. I think we have a better chance of advancing to the S. 16 at 11.

I wouldn't know how to do the research, but I'd be interested to know the following:

Let's say we finish the regular season at 19-12, a conference record of 12-8, and a 4th place finish in the Big East. The Big East ranks 2nd among the power six conferences. Has a Big East team with the above credentials every been left out of the Dance in the last 20 years?

Two of the games are against teams we haven’t beaten under Sha (0-6), one we haven’t beaten in 4 years (0-7). A third is a road game against the best team in the country in a venue where we’ve won 1 time in 25 years or so and that game was without fans 3 years ago. So there’s a ton of juice to these match-ups. You get 1 of these and you’re in. You dare get 2 and we’re popping nationally again.

Our guys should be hungry and fired up given this history.

And then DePaul.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Two of the games are against teams we haven’t beaten under Sha (0-6), one we haven’t beaten in 4 years (0-7). A third is a road game against the best team in the country in a venue where we’ve won 1 time in 25 years or so and that game was without fans 3 years ago.

Ugh... That's just a brutal way to look at it, but I guess we're due for at least one of those. Right?

I get very anxious when we play creighton. Maybe I'm just battle scarred but it always seems they elevate their shooting when they play us..
It's always a bad matchup. Two teams as opposite as you can get
Grit vs finesse..

Reactions: Pirates13
Time to throttle nova

I can’t stand Nova more than any other team. Please beat them….
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Reactions: catholicman
This is gonna be a brutal 4 game stretch. We can easily go 1-3. We need DePaul and 1 of the next 2. I have a feeling beating Nova and DePaul alone is just not enough and well be nervous on Selection Sunday

This is gonna be a brutal 4 game stretch. We can easily go 1-3. We need DePaul and 1 of the next 2. I have a feeling beating Nova and DePaul alone is just not enough and well be nervous on Selection Sunday
lol, which bracketologist are you? 13-7 might not be enough. That’s ludicrous.

Agree, but based on the ups and downs of this team all year, we could go 3-1.

If we finish 12-8, i will be nervous (depending on how we do in BET). If we finish 13-7, we are in. In addition, there is outside possibility that Nova will be quad 1 win. They are 34th in the NET. Therefore, we would be 13-7 with 5-6 Quad 1 wins and 5 road wins. We are a lock to be in at that point.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If we lose to CU and Uconn and beat nova and depaul are you sleeping well Saturday night b4 selection sunday? The 3 main bracketologists barely have us in with one on the bubble. What if other bubble teams have much better wins than us in the next 2 weeks? What if there's upsets in the mid major conf tournaments? I just don't think nova and depaul are enough for us to feel comfortable based on the brackets that have been published. Am I annoyed to see 5 quad 1 wins and us on the bubble when other teams in have 1, 2, 3 quad 1 wins? Zags have 1 quad 1 win out of 5. So much for who did u beat. A win agains CU or Uconn and I sleep much better

Reactions: catholicman
The BE is not as well regarded this year from top to bottom. I think if we go 2-2 and WIN at least one BE tourney game we are in. If we go 2-2 and lose our first BE tourney game we don't deserve to get in. I we do worse that 2-2 we don't deserve to get in unless we win 2 BE tourney games. That is how I feel.

I think it'll be enough, but Providence was an 11 seed at 13-7 last season. You never know for sure.
With the strong bubble and our mess of a non-conference, I wouldn't feel great on selection Sunday without a win at UCONN or Creighton (or something in the BET). I think we are probably ok without a win in those games, but it would be a sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz
If 12-8 doesn’t get us in and teams like Dayton with a much easier schedule get in we got screwed simple as that.

Reactions: radecicco
Win tonight. The team really needs one of these two to be comfortable.

I think it'll be enough, but Providence was an 11 seed at 13-7 last season. You never know for sure.
PC didn't have a great resume last year (sound familiar).

Their NET was 56 and at 21-11 on Selection Sunday, their quad breakdown was 4-8/3-2/3-1/11-0. One was of those Q1 wins was over Villanova at No. 75.

They went 8-3 in the OOC with no significant wins and losses to Miami, St. Louis and TCU. Their best OOC win was, wait for it, Rider at No. 217. That's was one of eight OOC wins over teams ranked below 200 in the NET.

They beat Marquette, UConn and Creighton so that leaves 10 BE wins against seeds 6-11. Six of their BE wins were Q3 or 4. Not to mention we thrashed them at home late in the year -- a Q3 loss.

They were probably fortunate to get in at 13-7 as hard as that is to believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT