ADVERTISEMENT

Top 20 team next season.....

Three 1000 point scorers in the starting lineup, one who was 1st team and another 2nd team All BE. The third should join them this year. Then add at least 7 players who could step in and have little drop off in talent.
Powell-Top 60
Cale-Top 75
Ish- Senior BE Defensive POY Candidate
Walker- Top 100
Sandro-Top 100
Nzei red shirt Junior junk yard dog around basket
Gordon Top 150

I'm as optimistic as anybody who posts on this board, even during the poor start to BE play this past season, but these guys need to make free throws this year. We are a good team, but we can easily beat ourselves at the free throw line. The game within the game is we have to win the battle at the free throw line. If we do that this will be a special season. I'm excited, we are a good team, we are a talented team but the talent needs to execute. Plain and simple.

I think our guys will be up for the challenge but it ain't easy playing with a bullseye on your back. Opposing teams' players and fans are more hype to play you which can make for some very hostile environments on the road.

Every team will be circling the seton hall game now as a "big" game.

Team will be good, probable Top 25, an NCAA team, should win a game in the dance, Sweet 16 will be tough

Reactions: lloyde dobler
This roster much better equipped to play the good, athletic teams we struggled with at times last year.

Looks like team is a four or five seed talent wise. Potential for sweet sixteen. Depends on point guard play and free throw shooting.

Reactions: mbraue
I think our guys will be up for the challenge but it ain't easy playing with a bullseye on your back. Opposing teams' players and fans are more hype to play you which can make for some very hostile environments on the road.

Every team will be circling the seton hall game now as a "big" game.
That will strengthen the team for tournament play. The more big games you play the more comfortable you become playing them.

Team will be good, probable Top 25, an NCAA team, should win a game in the dance, Sweet 16 will be tough

If they don't make it to the Sweet 16, that would be disappointing. I do think they make it to the Sweet 16. Senior laden teams have a tendency to go far in the tournament. If Walker Performs to where I think he can, this will be a very dangerous team come March.

I don't think it will be that tough unless we get a bad draw.

The team is talented, deep and experienced. Short of injuries they should match up well against most teams in the nation.

Winning just one game in the Dance is better than we have done in quite some time. But this team is superior to any we have had in a long while.

I am looking for 2 victories and then the rest will be gravy.

Reactions: shufan1993
I don't think it will be that tough unless we get a bad draw.

The team is talented, deep and experienced. Short of injuries they should match up well against most teams in the nation.

Winning just one game in the Dance is better than we have done in quite some time. But this team is superior to any we have had in a long while.

I am looking for 2 victories and then the rest will be gravy.
Not sure how you don't think making the sweet 16 is tough.

Dan how far did the defending champs #1 seed and Big East champs and all-American candidate Hart and Big Smooth get in the tournament last year? Not the sweet 16.
How many sweet 16's has Villanova been to since 2010? Only 1.
It's not easy.

I get the excitement of Angel returning.. but to think it won't be tough is just wrong.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these posts pointing out how difficult it is to advance in the NCAA tournament for anyone, let alone a program that has not done so in a very long time.

To say you'd be disappointed if they didn't reach the Sweet 16 is crazy talk. Sure, the elements are there for a good season. But all this roster accomplishes is that it elevates SHU to a very competitive level where a lot of good teams are already at. There's obviously nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't assure a single thing when it comes to the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: newshu1 and SPK145
Not sure how you don't think making the sweet 16 is tough.

Dan how far did the defending champs #1 seed and Big East champs and all-American candidate Hart and Big Smooth get in the tournament last year? Not the sweet 16.
How many sweet 16's has Villanova been to since 2010? Only 1.
It's not easy.

I get the excitement of Angel returning.. but to think it won't be tough is just wrong.
I said 'that tough'. I have confidence in this roster and have said so for the past two years.

SHU is so used to losing that many are afraid to set realistic goals, never mind difficult ones.

Regarding individual examples of past tournaments....you have nearly 70 teams playing each year. Of course you are going to be able to find teams that got upset. That's why it's called March Madness.

I choose to aim high and expect this team, if injury free, to maximize it's potential. Time to expand our goals and not settle for less.

I said 'that tough'. I have confidence in this roster and have said so for the past two years.

SHU is so used to losing that many are afraid to set realistic goals, never mind difficult ones.

Regarding individual examples of past tournaments....you have nearly 70 teams playing each year. Of course you are going to be able to find teams that got upset. That's why it's called March Madness.

I choose to aim high and expect this team, if injury free, to maximize it's potential. Time to expand our goals and not settle for less.

I think the sweet 16 is an attainable goal, although many factors come into play, which makes it that tough and I don't think it's sweet 16 or bust.

I get that advancing in the tournament is the ultimate goal but we also need to enjoy the ride. The fanbase didn't fully get behind this team their sophomore year (post disaster season) and junior year (post IW) but we finally have buzz in the offseason.

I'm looking forward to the season long lovefest of seton hall. The pre-season polls, the early 2018 commitment, the packed house vs Indiana, big non-conf wins, dominating the RAC, packing the house again for VCU, another great 2018 signing, seeing where we're at in the top 25 this week, knocking off Nova, the race for the reg season title, packed houses against Big East teams, bouncing back after tough losses, Big east tournament, knocking off Duval in the tournament...

Couldn't agree more. This team was built 4 years ago with this season in mind. Senior driven with a talented under card on the bench.
Sound familiar?

Look every season takes on its own personality, and faces its own challenges, so there is a long way to go.
But now with Angel on board it is up to the seniors to drive the purpose home, not only to that core of players but to the underclassmen.

This can be an exceptionally exciting year.. They need the eye of the tiger, goal being team success, and aim high... Very high.

We haven't had this much to look forward to in many years. I hope the Hall is ready ti splurge on media and marketing... It will pay off

The whole point, however, is that even though this potential is unfamiliar recent territory for SHU, there are a lot more than 16 programs who feel the same way, and who have even more reason to be enthused. It will be fun, but also challenging with absolutely nothing like a Sweet 16 assured.

You said it's a goal, another poster said he'd be disappointed. You may be thinking wisely, but others aren't seeing the big picture too clearly.

Hell, can we blame them? :D:D:D:D

It was just 2 weeks ago that we all thought Angel was history. The Hall doesn't often get this kind of news in May. We deserve to be a little over the top for now,.

As the season approaches I think most will be realistic on our prospects. For now we can dream.

The excitement in the arena and around the program should really help us with the 2018 class, which is obviously a big one.

Reactions: catholicman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT