ADVERTISEMENT

Who to root for Butler or Creighton?

P615007

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2016
Knocking Butler down into the last four in would allow us to bump them with a home win over them.
Moving into third place in the big east with four games left is not carrying weight this year.

thoughts?

So, we can't go wrong here in my opinion. Butler 16-9 (7-7) project to finish at 11-9 or even 10-10 in the conference. We must beat them next week without question. Their remaining games are (Creighton, @Villanova, @Seton Hall, SJU, @DePaul, Xavier).

#17 Creighton 18-7 (9-5) look to finish 3rd in the conference. However, their schedule is going to be challenging the rest of the way. They have (@Butler, UConn, @SJU, Seton Hall, Marquette, @Villanova). It would not be impossible for them to lose 4 of those 6 remaining, although they are good enough to get by most of those games. Should they lose 4 and Seton Hall wins 3 then The Hall finishes 3rd in a Power Conference. I guess the Metric Police could still keep the Hall out, but it won't be easy. It also shows how important the Hall at SJU game is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
Creighton. Third place would be nice (and we can still get there by winning games), but NCAA selection takes priority. Don't want Butler to have a sweep of Creighton on their resume when we're going to split at best and will likely get swept.

Reactions: phelanma
Hope Creighton wins..Seton Hall and Butler both on the bubble..
Nice to help get another team off the bubble.

Reactions: statenman
Rooting for Creighton. They are almost definitely in the tournament, right now projected as a 4 or 5 seed. It would take a monumental collapse for them not to get in.

Butler on the other hand is our direct competition for a bid. They are currently projected as a 10 seed, but we can do damage by beating them next week. Advances our chances at a bid while diminishing theirs. Chances of us beating Creighton at their place are much smaller. We don't want Butlers resume looking any better with a sweep of Creighton. Creighton winning doesn't effect us, they were pretty much already a lock with Uconn and Marquette.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Rooting for Butler. We have to beat them at home (a sweep) so why not try for 3rd place in the conference?
Because we need less teams on the bubble, not more. Whether we finish ahead of Creighton in the regular season standings will mean nothing to the selection committee. Metrics is what they look at and ours aren’t great

We have to beat Butler next week to Dance. Lose that game and most probably we're in the NIT. So why not shoot for the stars?

Hard to believe a 3rd place team in the Big East, one who swept Butler is going to have to worry about the Bulldogs being invited over the Pirates.

Finish 3rd in the league while sweeping Butler along the way gets the Pirates in the Dance.
I agree. Like I said we will gain capital either way. I believe the BigEast could and should get at least 5 teams in. Butler has only lost to UConn, Seton Hall and Marquette at home. Would that become more and more of a solid road win?? Many other teams on The Bubble that we want to lose.

22 pt win. 6 guys play 10 minutes or more. Thanks to net

We have to beat Butler next week to Dance. Lose that game and most probably we're in the NIT. So why not shoot for the stars?

Hard to believe a 3rd place team in the Big East, one who swept Butler is going to have to worry about the Bulldogs being invited over the Pirates.
Mathematically speaking… we could still finish in second place

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I find it hard to believe Butler is in as good shape as many believe. They're 4-9 against Q1 and have more Q3/4 wins (eight plus a non D-I win) than Q1/2 wins.

The thing helping them is two Q1 non-conference wins -- Texas Tech (26) and Boise State (43). The latter is a neutral site win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT