ADVERTISEMENT

Woj: Lakers targeting Danny Hurley for HC

MooneyHall07

Recruit
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2023

This is a shocker. My initial thought is that I hope he thinks three times before he does this, because he’s got a better chance of three-peating next year than he does being the boss of a team with LeBron on it..

Reactions: PirateFan94
Don’t do it, Danny! Don’t be LeBron’s puppet! You’ll be dead man walking from the moment they trot you out in front of the media. Wait for real opportunity.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
he'll sign a contract that goes till after bron retires.
This. He’ll only have a couple years of LeBron at most and then after that it’s probably a total rebuild and he can shape the roster as he likes. It’s probably a top 3 job in all of basketball.

Reactions: HallLine69
Hurley last night on his contract negotiation:

"It's probably taken more time than any of us would have liked, but it's not something that's ever been a rush for me," he said. "When you've won back-to-back championships, you're not calling your agent worried about the status of your contract. You're more worried about recruiting, scheduling."

"It's complicated," he added. "There's a business side of it, which you allow your agent to advise you on. I'm not a business man. I'm not good at that. I'm a one-trick pony."

Hurley noted that "you sacrifice a lot to do this job. It's a high-pressure job, it beats your ass pretty good, it's a total commitment. A lot suffers because of it: your family, any type of a social life. It basically consumes everything that you have. There's a price you pay for it."

"You also have a market as a coach when you've accomplished a lot of things. Trying to find that sweet spot is something."

I would have said the same thing. Danny is the epitome of an East Coast guy, but it is the Lakers. Hearing from a good source that he's gone.
All my UCONN buddies (There are a lot of them here with me in CT) are getting out their worry beads. Saying prayers to Saint Jim Calhoun. Seem like you're really level headed about this. Not sure about Young and Murray having the chops to step into this situation straightaway. You always bring smart takes, what say you?

All my UCONN buddies (There are a lot of them here with me in CT) are getting out their worry beads. Saying prayers to Saint Jim Calhoun. Seem like you're really level headed about this. Not sure about Young and Murray having the chops to step into this situation straightaway. You always bring smart takes, what say you?
I don't think Dan Hurley owes us anything after two national championships. So, whatever it is, it is. Coaching in the NBA has always been a goal for Danny. I don't know that he's ready for it, only in that he still wears his emotions on his sleeves. The Lakers want him for his passion, but he's not going to be making NBA pros run the arena steps while he's screaming at them "champions run everywhere!"

But this is the Lakers, one of the premier jobs in the NBA. If they put together a long-term package for him, that is tough to turn down if you want to coach in the NBA. The one thing I will say is that after Alex Karaban walked away from a guaranteed NBA contract to come back for the threepeat, this feels kind of shitty. That may just be unfortunate timing though.

I'm hearing that he's gone, but I am hoping that that is just contract posturing. Connecticut just gave Geno Auriemma a five year $18.7 million contract, but if it comes down to money there's no way they can beat the Lakers.

I think the Hurleys are Hollywood ready.

Make Geno the men’s coach. Don’t know how he would do in a league with parity.

He said yesterday on Francesa he was open to an NBA job if it’s the right one

I was shocked never heard him talk about NBA like that before

Then today the WOJ bomb something definitely happening

This is a writer who has a long history with the family and a writer who is a rival to shams who had the redick news in the last day or so. Hurley still doesn't have a uconn extension. This almost has the same timeline as the lakers pursuit of coach K 20 years ago.

This. He’ll only have a couple years of LeBron at most and then after that it’s probably a total rebuild and he can shape the roster as he likes. It’s probably a top 3 job in all of basketball.
I think he needs to have Lebron go now. If Lebron's there 2 years the culture will already be established that Danny is not in charge. There isn't going to be a light switch from the rest of the players that says ok Danny now that Lebron is gone we will start listening to you.

Reactions: HallX2
Hurley is the epidemy of a college or a HS coach that is why he gets so much out of his guys. He would have to adapt everything he has even been taught to be a pro coach.

See PJ

Danny is a competitor and wants to compete at the highest level. He has been successful at every level of basketball from high school to smaller college (Wagner) to mid-major (Rhode Island) and then back-to-back national titles at UConn. There is no reason to believe he won't be successful at in the NBA. This is an opportunity he cannot turn down. As many have said, he can always come back to college if it doesn't work out.

Danny is a competitor and wants to compete at the highest level. He has been successful at every level of basketball from high school to smaller college (Wagner) to mid-major (Rhode Island) and then back-to-back national titles at UConn. There is no reason to believe he won't be successful at in the NBA. This is an opportunity he cannot turn down. As many have said, he can always come back to college if it doesn't work out.
His whole narrative last 60 days of 3-peat chase being an iconic program like ucla all BS if he leaves

I don't see him translating very well to the NBA. He's a great coach -- this is obvious -- but there are different kinds of great coaches who thrive because different parts of their profile are more salient.

To me, Danny is great because of his ability to recruit and to motivate, especially on the defensive end. He is great at the psychological aspects of the game. As a tactician? I don't think that's what makes him great (nor does it hurt him; I'm not saying he's weak at this, either).

Those traits that make him great in college are the ones that are most mitigated in the NBA. You don't recruit. And his brand of intensity doesn't necessarily play well there, either. So he'll be left to rely on his ability as a tactician, unless he's able to find new ways to motivate megamillionaires and even a handful of actual billionaires.

The comparison of coaching millionaires in college or in the NBA is facile because there is no comparing the relative wealth of the two categories. So he can cash a huge guaranteed check and get out of the game in four years when/if the NBA thing doesn't work. Or he can keep cashing very, very large checks at UConnfor as long as he pleases -- maybe 20 more years if he sees fit -- and become an equal to Jim Calhoun, if not surpass him. It would be an easy choice to me if I wanted to keep working and competing. If I wanted to retire comfortably as soon as possible (which I actually do, but I'm not Danny), then the NBA might be the thing. It just doesn't seem like him, though.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
He was always going to jump to the NBA at some point.
He's expressed an eventual interest in coaching in the NBA. This looks like his big opportunity. I mean, what else does he have to prove at UConn? Any year he doesn't win the national title will seem like a disappointment. Personally, I hope he gets it and I would wish him all the best. Another Seton Hall man coaching in the NBA would be outstanding.

He’s got to go. Make a boatload of money and if it doesn’t pan out, he can go back to college and coach anywhere he wants. I’m almost at the point where I hope college sports collapses as a whole. Force a total rebuild or just do away with it. This is not the game I grew to love. I hope Danny goes and wins multiple NBA titles. Good for him.

Reactions: shu09 and mbraue
I think he needs to have Lebron go now. If Lebron's there 2 years the culture will already be established that Danny is not in charge. There isn't going to be a light switch from the rest of the players that says ok Danny now that Lebron is gone we will start listening to you.
That roster will be gutted once lebron leaves.

Wait until the league finds out Hurley was afraid of LeBron.

He’s got to go. Make a boatload of money and if it doesn’t pan out, he can go back to college and coach anywhere he wants. I’m almost at the point where I hope college sports collapses as a whole. Force a total rebuild or just do away with it. This is not the game I grew to love. I hope Danny goes and wins multiple NBA titles. Good for him.
We'll all be long gone before college sports collapse. I hate the NIL era as much as anyone but ultimately money will always rule the day.

Reactions: Burnsly
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT