ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Golf Coach Leaves/No Swimming Coach

I hope you are correct. I would love to see another trip to the CWS at some point and then him turn down places like Florida, Miami, Arizona State even though they offer a much higher salary and better weather.
We can't change our weather but I would hope he would be rightly compensated by Seton Hall! Would love to see our guys make the CWS again!

Program had some issues a few years ago and the culture within the program needed to change. It didn't so a change was made to the coaching staff.
They won the Big East Championship this year so it would seem the culture had changed and for the better. The guy was here for about 17 years I think. So you're saying the school waited until the championship and then pushed him out? Kinda weird, no?

They won the Big East Championship this year so it would seem the culture had changed and for the better. The guy was here for about 17 years I think. So you're saying the school waited until the championship and then pushed him out? Kinda weird, no?

Winning and culture don't necessarily relate to each other.

The debate about whether SH is adequately funding some of its athletic programs piqued my interest so I went and checked the reports each school is required to file under the Equity in Athletics act and selected 6 schools and how our funding compares in golf, soccer and swimming and the numbers were surprising. The data I looked at was for the latest report ending 6-30-2016.

SH - Golf SH - Soccer. SH - Swimming
Men. $ 94,250. Men - $172,400. Men -$95,375
Women $ 101,500 Women - $126,200 Women-$90,750

Xavier , men $93,850 Men $161,000. Men-$79,500
Women $68,250. Women - $ 168,800. Women-$82,200

Nova , men $87,100. Men -$152,700. Men-$89,700
Women - no team. Women-$181,20. Women-$120,400

GT , men -$59,400 Men- $204,250. Men-$204,250
Women - 450,300. Women - $168,550. Women-$168,550

DePaul men - $108,250 Men-$122,350. Men-$122,350
women - no team. Women-$101,350. Women-$101,350

Butler , men - $32,300. Men-$145,200. Men-none
women $72,800. Women-$192,800 Women-$90,300

PG, golf no teams Men-$217,500. Men-$82,250
Women-$197,050. Women-$106,450

Draw your own conclusions on the issue of funding by SH compared to its peers.

Winning and culture don't necessarily relate to each other.
This.

There were issues a few years ago with drinking, etc and while less public now (there was a very public issue a few years ago), the issues remain. Sounds like we were going in a direction regardless of the outcome at Big East meet.

It's was very surprising to read that Sara Doell has left SHU for a job with San Fransisco. There's nothing on the SHU page.

It's incredible they could not retain her. They haven't set the world on fire the last two seasons (despite last season's BE title) but they had built a strong program and could have gone to the next level.

http://usfdons.com/news/2017/5/18/sara-doell-named-womens-golf-coach-Sara-Doell-USF-Dons.aspx

And for weeks they've been without a swimming and diving coach. He left right after winning the men's BE title.

Very bad form for SHU.
I know Sara and heard from her today.

This was a very tough decision but she always wanted to live on the west coast. She loved it here. and really appreciated Pat Lyons support -but she's moving primarily for a change of place.

Also the San Francisco climate give her new team the chance to play outdoors all year long.

I don't know about the money but USF is a Jesuit run outfit and most of their colleges have good if not great alumni support.

For instance Holy Cross has a 49% alumni giving rate compared to our dreadful 8%.

Reactions: deheremike
The debate about whether SH is adequately funding some of its athletic programs piqued my interest so I went and checked the reports each school is required to file under the Equity in Athletics act and selected 6 schools and how our funding compares in golf, soccer and swimming and the numbers were surprising. The data I looked at was for the latest report ending 6-30-2016.

GT pays their women's golf coach $450,000 ? Wow!

I think that amount is funding per team, not salary for the coach. Still, that is quite an investment and three years in a row they finished second to our Pirates.

It is total expenses for running the entire program including salaries.

$101,500 cannot be accurate. For all expenses related to women's golf?

You're going to tell me that figure covered the 10 road tournaments they played in during the 15-16 season- (travel, hotels, meals, fees), scholarships, expenses for practice facilities, equipment, and salaries for all coaches?

So how much was Doell's salary? Certainly not enough to live and be happy in the very expensive northern NJ/NYC metro area.

http://shupirates.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=53

$101,500 cannot be accurate. For all expenses related to women's golf?

You're going to tell me that figure covered the 10 road tournaments they played in during the 15-16 season- (travel, hotels, meals, fees), scholarships, expenses for practice facilities, equipment, and salaries for all coaches?

So how much was Doell's salary? Certainly not enough to live and be happy in the very expensive northern NJ/NYC metro area.

http://shupirates.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=53
For sure the figure doesn't includes scholarships. It might just be operational expenses.

Like I said earlier I never this thread, Athletics (and Alumni Relations as a whole) needs to do more and better outreach to attract the casual fan or disconnected alum. Instead, they seem to be happy to hang with those already hooked. It needs to change. Hopefully the new President will see that and inspire the necessary changes while continuing to build on what Dr. Esteban already started.

Or maybe for Shep, like Coach Bozzella, Secoton Hall is their dream job! That's the way it should be, we should be a destination not a rest stop on the way to somewhere else![/
]
SHOULD the women's basketball coaching position really be a dream job?

The non-revenue coaching salaries are what you get with a private school with paltry alumni giving compared to a state school.

Don't forget that Rutgers coaches are also being vested into the state pension system.

I have to mention this factor again which everybody seems to be dismissing: When you graduate from college with tens of thousands of dollars in debt, you're not in the mood to give. That monthly bill stings 12 times per year.

Last year alone more than one million borrowers defaulted.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/14/more...on-their-federal-student-loans-last-year.html

And the hard core bursar's office should learn to be a little nicer because those students are the very people who the school is going to hit up for donations.

Finally- and most are afraid to say it- I don't feel like giving money to the school when the school proudly and loudly declares that scholarships and grants are given to illegal aliens.

Attack and dismiss these issues if you want, but giving rate is low for certain reasons. That could improve for athletics if the basketball teams become perennial NCAA teams. As others have said, winning can cure a lot.

Lyons has said that when Bozzella was hired at Iona, Bozzella said the only job he'd leave for was Seton Hall. (There's a video of Lyons telling the story.)

Everybody has different goals. My friend as a kid dreamed of becoming a park ranger. He might be the happiest person I know.
Exactly! We need more Bozzella's!

I have to mention this factor again which everybody seems to be dismissing: When you graduate from college with tens of thousands of dollars in debt, you're not in the mood to give. That monthly bill stings 12 times per year.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/14/more...on-their-federal-student-loans-last-year.html

And the hard core bursar's office should learn to be a little nicer because those students are the very people who the school is going to hit up for donations.

Finally- and most are afraid to say it- I don't feel like giving money to the school when the school proudly and loudly declares that scholarships and grants are given to illegal aliens.

Attack and dismiss these issues if you want, but giving rate is low for certain reasons. That could improve for athletics if the basketball teams become perennial NCAA teams. As others have said, winning can cure a lot.
Illegals should not get a single penny!

Don't other big east schools have costs pretty similar to shu? If so, I'd imagine that there graduates leave with similar debt, yet we have a giving rate lower than the rest of the conference. Our giving rate is abysmal but im not sure I necessarily buy the student debt reason (why isn't debt an issue for the rest of the conference?)

Would you rather the bursars office not attempt to collect any debts owed to the university? That is how they conducted business back when I was a student. The receivable figures from back then suggest that it wasn't a fiscally responsible way to do business.

I don't even know what to say about your comments about scholarships to illegal aliens so I will pass on that part.

Don't other big east schools have costs pretty similar to shu? If so, I'd imagine that there graduates leave with similar debt, yet we have a giving rate lower than the rest of the conference. Our giving rate is abysmal but im not sure I necessarily buy the student debt reason (why isn't debt an issue for the rest of the conference?)

Would you rather the bursars office not attempt to collect any debts owed to the university? That is how they conducted business back when I was a student. The receivable figures from back then suggest that it wasn't a fiscally responsible way to do business.

I don't even know what to say about your comments about scholarships to illegal aliens so I will pass on that part.

Interesting question when you think about. Let's assume most students at all big east schools come from the home state of the school. I would guess salaries in NJ are more than just about every other state in the big east other than NY. So I would assume on average because our students come from a state where their parents make higher salaries, our students get less financial aid.

Interesting question when you think about. Let's assume most students at all big east schools come from the home state of the school. I would guess salaries in NJ are more than just about every other state in the big east other than NY. So I would assume on average because our students come from a state where their parents make higher salaries, our students get less financial aid.
The discout rate at shu is right at the national average of private schools in the country so my guess would be that students at shu receive pretty similar aid awards as compared to the rest of the conference members.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT