ADVERTISEMENT

Guys.....Seton Hall really needs your help

This is certainly turning into a buzz kill. Even if the attendance is great there is now a narriatve out there that our fans suck.

Dan any update on sales? Have they seen any improvement in the past 24 hours?

Any CYO coaches?

If your team doesnt have a game on Saturday, try to organize a team outing

Get a few parents to drive and bingo, that's around 10 more seats filled.

This is certainly turning into a buzz kill. Even if the attendance is great there is now a narriatve out there that our fans suck.

Dan any update on sales? Have they seen any improvement in the past 24 hours?
Too soon to tell. I am in contact with the school and if anything happens I will pass it on.

I think this will turn out to be a big crowd. Fan base was just a little slow buying tickets because of the late nights watching the west coast games.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Most teams don’t draw like they used to around here.... even the NFL teams (especially the Jets) have deals and have to advertise. The Knicks and Rangers now advertise. Mets attendance is sparse and the Yankees have plenty of seats also.... the Devils struggle big time before the holidays and to a lesser degree after. Each team has their percentage of diehards, but people have been conditioned to watch games from home on the cable or other service they are paying a big monthly bill for.

Just gotta make sure the students show up. They are the ones who make noise the most... problem is a lot of people just remember the last home game and if it’s a loss people stay away... just the way it is casual fans are so fickle...

Well even if there is 8,000, it may not be a sellout but that is still a good crowd. That would be close to a sellout in a lot of college b-ball arenas
It is a buzz kill because, as you note 8,000-8,500 is still a darn good crowd...but the narrative has been set that if it doesn't sell-out its a failure.

The attendance issue is not exclusive to Seton Hall. It's down almost everywhere.

This is unfortunate, but this 1000% falls on the University and the Athletics Marketing Dept. They should have been doing something about this for the last 2-3 months to get the alums involved. It should not come down to a group of people on a message board and players begging for people to come to the games.

As I have said in the past this goes much deeper. The majority of SHU alums just do not have the love for the school because the school did nothing to develop that love while they were students. Luckily this has changed in the past 5 years or so, but a ton of alums from say 95-10 look at SHU negatively.

The answer has to be cheaper tickets. I got 7 people who never attend a game to come through the Kids Day special. Unfortunately people are going to stay home when they can watch it in 4K on their big screen tv.

This is unfortunate, but this 1000% falls on the University and the Athletics Marketing Dept. They should have been doing something about this for the last 2-3 months to get the alums involved. It should not come down to a group of people on a message board and players begging for people to come to the games.

As I have said in the past this goes much deeper. The majority of SHU alums just do not have the love for the school because the school did nothing to develop that love while they were students. Luckily this has changed in the past 5 years or so, but a ton of alums from say 95-10 look at SHU negatively.

I agree and disagree. Yes they should have been marketing this game longer. However let's be real here the people they should have been marketing to the entire last 20 years is the current students at the time. How many people graduate SHU every year? How many come back to meet up with old friends at games? Numbers don't lie. Clearly students haven't enjoyed the games enough to come back after graduating

Last edited:
I agree and disagree. Yes they should have been marketing this game longer. However let's be real here the people they should have been marketing to the entire last 20 years is the current students at the time. How many people graduate SHU every year? How many come back to meet up with old friends at games? Numbers don't lie. Clearly students haven't enjoyed the games enough to come back after graduating
Agreed...the way students were treated for a while is why giving rates and attendance are so low. Luckily that has changed over the last 5 or so years.

They should have been pushing this game hard for the last few months, calling local schools, churches, cyo teams.

10000%

Agreed...the way students were treated for a while is why giving rates and attendance are so low. Luckily that has changed over the last 5 or so years.

They should have been pushing this game hard for the last few months, calling local schools, churches, cyo teams.

How were students treated?

Compared to East Orange? Belleville?

Many people from Belleville have gone, and do go to Seton Hall, and support the team. The annual gamewatch has a site in Belleville. My point was to say that comparing the suburbs of East Rutherford and Newark, <10 miles apart, seems silly and unrelated to the attendance issue.

Many people from Belleville have gone, and do go to Seton Hall, and support the team. The annual gamewatch has a site in Belleville. My point was to say that comparing the suburbs of East Rutherford and Newark, <10 miles apart, seems silly and unrelated to the attendance issue.
That was not the main point just an additional note. If you want to pick it apart go ahead. I do think there are a few casual fans it makes a difference for.

seton hall is still somewhat a commuter school. while a lot of us have a true connection to the school, there are a lot of us who dont. anecdotally id say that in reality there isnt that much "pirate pride"

That was not the main point just an additional note. If you want to pick it apart go ahead. I do think there are a few casual fans it makes a difference for.

Agree on a few people who don't like Newark and nothing will change their minds.

On another note, I got a call from a nice young lady, a sophomore at SHU, who was giving me a "campus update" last night. I asked her if she was going to the game on Saturday, and she said, "I don't really like basketball." That wasn't a problem when I went in the hey-day. Going to the game was what students did, 2 full end zone sections of them.

Last edited:
I am sure moving to Newark affected some fans who may have lived in parts of Bergen/Passaic county making it harder to get to Newark vs East Rutherford, but it also made it easier for people from the suburbs down RT 22/78 and the shore areas a shorter ride to Newark than ER.

But real problem is, just not enough people care about SHU basketball to get 10-11K in the building consistently unless the other school brings a decent amount of fans, and this is for a variety of reasons.

I am sure moving to Newark affected some fans who may have lived in parts of Bergen/Passaic county making it harder to get to Newark vs East Rutherford, but it also made it easier for people from the suburbs down RT 22/78 and the shore areas a shorter ride to Newark than ER.

But real problem is, just not enough people care about SHU basketball to get 10-11K in the building consistently unless the other school brings a decent amount of fans, and this is for a variety of reasons.

Pretty sad in a state of 8 million with NYC a stones throw away that we cant get 10,000 people for a marquee opponent.

There are not many teams even getting 8K when they are not ranked in the top 25. That makes a huge difference. The UCLA arena, as an example, is empty when they are not top 25. Miami, with their huge fan base and alumni was empty against RU. I'm not even sure many Ville fans are up to coming to the game, when they have so many marque opponents on their schedule to choose from.
I'd say our fans are better than average, but I hope for a great showing Saturday. Our team deserves it with how much they bleed pirate blue.

Reactions: Piratefan2121
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT