ADVERTISEMENT

Guys.....Seton Hall really needs your help

This is unfortunate, but this 1000% falls on the University and the Athletics Marketing Dept. They should have been doing something about this for the last 2-3 months to get the alums involved. It should not come down to a group of people on a message board and players begging for people to come to the games.

As I have said in the past this goes much deeper. The majority of SHU alums just do not have the love for the school because the school did nothing to develop that love while they were students. Luckily this has changed in the past 5 years or so, but a ton of alums from say 95-10 look at SHU negatively.

This is a fantastic point. As a young alum who watched the core 4 and IW during my time as a student, theres no reason for me not to go. However if the team was a horror show while I was a student I would have minimal interest.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
If there were numbers next to both team's names this game would be closer to a sell-out. The casual NJ/NYC sports fan knows we lost a lot and are probably assuming this is a rebuilding year and know what's been going on at Louisville the past 12 months.

If the home game was played at SHU last year I don't see any way it wasn't a sell-out or close to it.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Pretty sad in a state of 8 million with NYC a stones throw away that we cant get 10,000 people for a marquee opponent.

But college basketball is different for the most part, unless you are a perrenial power and get a following (kind of like SHU had in the early 90s), just because you live in NJ or NYC, what connection would you have to Seton Hall, and why do you want to go to their games?

Also, even pro sports have never drawn well in NJ, other then Giants and Jets, the Devils were a power for years and were always in the bottom 25% in attendance, and we know Nets never drew anybody either.

Everyone I hear who hates Newark found Rutherford easier to get to and are from Bergen, Paterson and Hudson counties. Going to a game in Newark is not a big deal at all and is very safe.

Last year we set new attendance records so the school and marketing is doing better. This game will be well attended but not sold out. If you have noticed we only sell out the Nova and RU games and in the past the UConn games. Not sure why this game should be any different. We will have a good but not great crowd which at this point in the season is good IMO.

Everyone I hear who hates Newark found Rutherford easier to get to and are from Bergen, Paterson and Hudson counties. Going to a game in Newark is not a big deal at all and is very safe.

Last year we set new attendance records so the school and marketing is doing better. This game will be well attended but not sold out. If you have noticed we only sell out the Nova and RU games and in the past the UConn games. Not sure why this game should be any different. We will have a good but not great crowd which at this point in the season is good IMO.

It's not a factor at all, at least in a negative way. I think the location boosts attendance being closer to the school and with NJ Transit access from NYC and points south.

The bars across the street enhance the game day experience too .

The arena draws very well for other events
SHU is finally trying to market the team the past few years, but for a while you never heard a peep about them

Reactions: catholicman
It's what most equate Philthydelphia, but the Sisters and Nova draw well
Philly is a major city in the Northeast that offers a lot of history, art, sporting, and culinary options that outweight the aesthetics or stereotypes for people....what exactly does Newark offer people to overcome same?

Not to say it's a good excuse, but you can't compare Philly to Newark in any capacity.

Philly is a major city in the Northeast that offers a lot of history, art, sporting, and culinary options that outweight the aesthetics or stereotypes for people....what exactly does Newark offer people to overcome same?

Not to say it's a good excuse, but you can't compare Philly to Newark in any capacity.

I respect Dan too much not to engage in an off topic senseless debate.

But, the bad areas of Philly are just as wretched as the bad areas of Newark.

Newark has good history, culture, dining, etc too, plus SHU plays there and not Philly

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Back on topic -- how will the walk up crowd look tomorrow? Weather forecast calling for CLEAR SKIES until 4pm.

I respect Dan too much not to engage in an off topic senseless debate.

But, the bad areas of Philly are just as wretched as the bad areas of Newark.

Newark has good history, culture, dining, etc too, plus SHU plays there and not Philly

It's not senseless, you needlessly trashing another city to incorrectly attempt at proving a point is senseless. Newark is not on the scale of Philly in any way that matters. People plan trips to visit Philly and the things offered there. But in your world I guess people do the same with Newark?

And spare me your sanctimonious nonsense of "sparing Dan", as if I respect him less than you do.

Back on topic -- how will the walk up crowd look tomorrow? Weather forecast calling for CLEAR SKIES until 4pm.

Hopefully a good one! I think at the end of the day the crowd will be bigger than we are all imagining it will be. Perhaps not the sellout that everyone hoped for, but I'm confident enough will come through and we'll have a good crowd showing for our guys.

It's not senseless, you needlessly trashing another city to incorrectly attempt at proving a point is senseless. Newark is not on the scale of Philly in any way that matters. People plan trips to visit Philly and the things offered there. But in your world I guess people do the same with Newark?

And spare me your sanctimonious nonsense of "sparing Dan", as if I respect him less than you do.

You're off topic and out of line

Philly is a dump. One of the worst cities I've ever been to and I hate going down to that area. Avoid it at all costs.

If we're being honest, Newark is a dump too but I only go there to see our games. That's it.
this is a pretty terrible take and incorrect take. comparing philly to newark is laughable. philly is a top 5 population and media market. that doesnt happen from being a dump. you probably just have no idea what youre doing when youre there.

newark is horrible. absolutely no redeeming qualities about it and it hurts attendance. literally the worst 3 cities in the country are all in jersey: camden, trenton, and newark. the rich njers wanna keep it that way, and we can easily see they dont care about shu games.

The school has to start brainstorming ways to get the alum involved that went to school 00-10 like was stated earlier. I tried sharing the kids day special, and have texted other alum to no avail for tomorrow. I actually had one friend who told me it was too hard to get to Newark from Long Island. She lives three blocks from a train station, thirty minutes to NY Penn. Yet someone else posted BSB is playing at the Rock and suddenly it's not a chore. Other than a few who were die hards during the darkest have realized how much the program has grown. Does the school give free tickets to Tricky Trays? Women spend big money at those things and typically go to everything they win. Just a thought...

Reactions: jcalz88
Thank you.
Certain posters, especially the one from Philthy of all places, are doing their best to hurt SHU basketball by making up stuff about where they play home games.
i dont even think you convince yourself of that argument LOL.

anyway... i know a bunch of people in the city who ARENT going. i bet there is a decent amount of people in nyc who are too lazy to go.

i live in greenwhich village/union sq area and it will likley take an hour to get there as my fastest option. and thats through njtran not the path.

im fine with it but i think alot of city people see that like going to the moon.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Fans should buy tickets. Reasonable ticket plans are available. Nwk is just an excuse.
def not an excuse for fans. but i asked about 10 friends if they wanted to go if i bought their ticket and pretty much everyone said theyre not gonna wake up at 9am to go into newark lol. nyc is kind of sad sports town. people would do anything else.

Reactions: jcalz88
Philly is a dump. One of the worst cities I've ever been to and I hate going down to that area. Avoid it at all costs.

If we're being honest, Newark is a dump too but I only go there to see our games. That's it.

Wow, not my experience at all. Used to get down there more frequently when I had a “work” reason. Went last year for the Hall nova game had a great time. Going again this year for the same reason. I happen to love Philadelphia

Ha ha. Yea, sure. People scared to expand their horizons n leave NJ. Nova on the main line n 35 to 40 mins from center city. Main line full of old school coin but hey Newark is awesome.

Just got a text from the school. Says vistors returned tickets. Limited # of tickets available for $17 limit 4. School marketing making an effort to do what needs to be done. Don't need to give away free tickets at train stations.

Just got a text from the school. Says vistors returned tickets. Limited # of tickets available for $17 limit 4. School marketing making an effort to do what needs to be done. Don't need to give away free tickets at train stations.
How and when can you get those tickets I think I know people who would be interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT